Arizona G&F Input Meeting

Lv2hnt

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-04 AT 11:15PM (MST)[p]It was a good meeting tonight (Tues., 8/03), with the new G&F commissioner in attendance (BTW, he's an active hunter)! Most all the suggestions that have been floating around the Internet were made known in an idea-gathering session.

The really unique suggestion (not mine) was to have any booking agent/outfitter/guide that has a felony on his record (of any type) be prohibited from participating in any way in regards to the application process or outfittimg/guiding for Arizona game animals. I believe Taulman and/or Montoya are under indictment for over a dozen incidents/infractions that they may be considering plea-bargaining (instead of going to court) --- these pleas would not keep their record clean, just minimize the punishment at that particular moment. What we want and need to do is REALLY negatively affect their opportunity to do business in our state (and all other states for that matter)!!! All you living outside Arizona, hope you're taking notes ...

Lv2hnt

Good point. I would word it as any wildlife violation (not just a felony) in any state should be prohibited. If you can't play by the rules, you can't play.

How many hunters showed up to the meeting last night?

S/F

Lv-thanks for going. I was planning to go to the 8/14 meeting but have a conflict at my shop. Did anyone suggest isolating the tag pool for NR from the resident pool? Would have Taulman competing for his tags with NR only and he couldn't mess up the resident draw. Have a totally seperate NR draw with a guaranteed % of the total tags.

Beaner, I counted 60+ in attendance.
Glen, most solutions/suggestions will fall into one of two categories, short term and long term. Many of the changes will require legislative action and therefore cannot be implemented until 2006. All of the changes will be reviewed by the Atty Generals office for their opinion as to whether or not they are discriminatory in any way against non-residents. The tag isolation option may be just that. I would not be surprised to see some temporary actions that would be only for next year or the following year until long term fixes are found. After the meeting I am confident that AZGFD is working hard to do what they can to protect resident hunting opportunities.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-04 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]Lv and PinonPaul,
Please give a little more insight as to what they are thinking about doing and some of the ideas that they are seriously considering. I'm really interested and concerned about both resident and non-resident hunting opportunity and what they are thinking of doing about this whole thing without affecting our opportunity. Hopefully, they can just target Montoya USO and his cronies and leave the rest alone.

I really liked the felony ruling. And the Regulatory control over Outfitters and their being responsible for their guides actions. After all the guides work under the insurance umbrella and forest permits of the individual outfitter, therefore the outfitter should be responsible for the actions of their employees. Comit a violation your outfitter license is revoked.
Bugler, PS it was good to see different faces at this meeting.

30inch, the format was basically a large brainstorming session. Every single suggestion from anyone who wanted to put it in writing was documented and discussed before the entire group. Many of those suggestions have been seen here on MM although there were several new ones. There is definitley a focus on Outfitter and Guide regulatory changes. Another recurring theme from G&F is that they would prefer not to raise fees to reduce applicants as this will not effect the antagonists in this case in any way. AZGFD wants nothing to do with turning hunting into an Elitist pastime reserved for the wealthy. Lots of folks want the internet applications to go away. More will come from the August 14th Flagstaff meeting where all the viable suggestions from the local meetings will be presented.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-04 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]Thanks PinonPaul for the information. I wish I was close enough to attend also. Sounds like the Fish and Game are doing about everything they can. I made some comments online and it seems that they are interested in the average hunter and not affecting our opportunity which is good news. When will they make a final decision on what they will do? Do you know? thanks again

No indication or timeline given other than due to the complexity of the issues it will an ongoing process. AZGFD is also watching closley the case which is going through the 10th circuit ( Wyoming ). When that ruling is handed down it may give them additional direction or options which they don't have at this time.

A basic rulemaking timeline was handed out outlining what G&F is facing so that any changes made could be in place by the time the new regs go to the publisher next Spring (this will take months, starting with the Aug. 14 meeing in Flag). That meeting will be followed by a rule development phase, a couple of commission meetings as well as public meetings, development of a final rule package, and a final presentation of recommended rules to a state regulatory review council.

As was already stated, this probably will be a multi-phase work-in-progress --- a short term fix for the coming year, followed by a more permanent addressing of the issue for the 2006 draw.

From what I understand, there was very good turn-out at all the other input meetings around the state last night (Pinetop, Kingman, and especially Tucson!). Good to hear!

I encourage all of you to make the effort to attend and/or make your voice heard as much as possible with regards to this issue!!! I'M NOT JUST TALKING TO ARIZONANS, BUT TO SPORTSMEN AND WOMEN EVERYWHERE IN THE U.S.! Up to now, some of you may not have taken a very active role in stepping up to the plate when it comes to your hunting heritage. B-U-T, what has happened here in Arizona is but the first step in something that affects us hunters (AND THE HUNTING GENERATIONS TO FOLLOW) all across America ...

Lv2hnt

P.S. I am still shell-shocked that all this has been instigated by the G-R-E-E-D of someone who continues to put his own interests before those of America's sportsmen. And the sorry part of all this is that he'll NEVER be pursuaded to understand he's done wrong ...

29db16d8cd285a39283353e495abd676.jpg

If you want a sticker, e-mail me
[email protected]

Tom:

Thanks for the updated information. Glad to see you posting again too!

BOHNTR )))------------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom