Arizona January archery buck

five_point_buck

Very Active Member
Anyone go an the January archery muley hunt? I'm looking for info about how tags are aquired (Draw or over the counter) also wondering what the weather is like. Is there much pressure on these hunts? Is there decent land access. I have always wanted to hunt arizona and this might be a fun late trip for my hunting family. Any and all info is much appreciated. Notice I have not asked about any zones, locations, or areas to "start". I'll figure that out down the road, for now I'm just trying to size up a decent public land opportunity. Thanks guys.

?America is a great country, the harder you work the luckier you get.?
thumb2.jpg

five_point_buck
AKA Larry Pasero Jr.

FPB:

Scroll down and few posts and look at the January Archery Hunt (pics) thread and check it out. Archery tags are OTC for this hunt. There are a lot of hunters in some areas, however, if you do a little research you'll find yourself alone hunting some decent deer on LOTS of public land. Weather is great, although this year was abnormally wet, raining for four days straight. PM me if you need some more info.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks BOHNTR...
I read that post and it got me thinking. Some other questions I have (please ignore my ignorance):

I assume the OTC tag good for Muleys and Couse? Are they found in the same areas? I have never seen a couse before. Is the archery only non-permit good for only one season, or is it good for all archery season dates? (I don't see a hunt codse number next to the dates). If I wanted to hunt the kaibab (archery only) is there a special tag (other than the Kaibab hunt stamp)?

Am I right in assuming that and OTC archery only permit can be used during any of the open season dates listed under the "arcehery only non permit tag listing"?

thumb2.jpg

five_point_buck
AKA Larry Pasero Jr.

The OTC tag is good for Muley or Coues and there is a list of open areas for the Jan hunt. Most of the northern part of the state is not included.

Coues and muleys habitat in some places more that others but most of the coues Ive seen have been lower while the Muleys are higher elevation.

The nice thing is that you can hunt a big part of the state and still find places with no hunters.

An Ariz. OTC archery deer tag can be used for ANY archery (non-rez) deer hunt in the State for that same calendar year. For example, a tag purchased and hunted with unsuccessfully in January can be used again during the following August, September, and December archery deer hunts. As already noted, the Kaibab archery season will require a special additional stamp.

You will find muleys and Coues in the same hunt units in the southern 2/3 of the State --- even in the same geographical area. Although Coues have historically been found more in more mountainous and foothills type topo, they're adapting and now also can be found in some lower elevations. You can find more info on the Az. G&F website (www.azgfd.com) ...

Lv2hnt

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like a fun opportunity. Good luck to everyone in the draws this spring.

thumb2.jpg

five_point_buck
AKA Larry Pasero Jr.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom