Arizona OHV changes?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
If I'm reading this correctly, Arizona, starting in 2009, you'll have to purchase a permit to use your quad while pursuing outdoor recreation activities. My question is? I'm from Nevada and we don't have a registration or title system in place. According to what I read, I'll have to title my quad in Arizona? Now, how do I do it? Will I have to pay sales taxes? I tried calling there 1-800 number and I can never get thru. I e-mailed them the other day but they said there could be up to a 10 day wait for my answer. Does anyone on here have the answers I'm looking for? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-08 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]I just received this in an email, as many of you may have.

Off-highway vehicle decal price set at $25

Dec. 19, 2008

New state laws requiring purchase take effect Jan. 1
PHOENIX ? A coalition of state agencies has agreed on a price for the new off-highway vehicle (OHV) decal that will be required in Arizona to operate most ATVs, dirt bikes, and other OHVs meeting certain criteria beginning in January.

The ?OHV Decal? will cost $25 and will be issued annually through the Arizona Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). Revenues from the purchase of the decal will help better manage Arizona?s exploding OHV use and help protect natural resources.

?This is the most important legislation that I have sponsored,? said Rep. Jerry Weiers (R-Glendale). ?This legislation will allow folks to better enjoy outdoor Arizona in a safe and responsible way.?

The OHV Decal is a part of new OHV laws taking effect Jan. 1, 2009. The laws will require the annual purchase of the decal for any OHV designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain and weighing 1,800 pounds or less. Beginning Jan. 1, owners whose OHVs are currently titled or registered in Arizona may purchase the decal online at www.servicearizona.com. After Jan. 1, title and registration services and decals will be available at MVD offices. The new laws also contain other provisions about titling, registration, equipment, and responsible operation.

Purchase of the decal is a ?user-play, user-pay? fee that will allow the OHV to be legally operated in Arizona as well as in other states that have reciprocity agreements.

Revenue from purchases of the decal will be used in many ways to benefit Arizona OHV users. This will bolster the State Parks grant program that is used for damage mitigation, trail construction, habitat restoration and various other programs. Game and Fish will use funds to hire new law enforcement officers specifically for OHV enforcement. It is also creating new OHV education classes that can be taken by OHV users and may be court ordered for those found in violation of OHV laws. State Land will use a portion of the funds for law enforcement, habitat restoration and access across state trust lands.

Arizona Game and Fish Department, MVD, Arizona State Parks and Arizona State Land Department have worked cooperatively to determine a price that is reasonable for all users.

?It's been a long time coming,? said Hank Rogers with the Apache County Rough Riders, an OHV group in eastern Arizona. ?We?re very happy it's been set at $25. We?re thrilled it's here and look forward to putting the dollars to good use for the benefit of all Arizonans.

Enactment of the laws was the end product of a huge collaborative effort between OHV groups, conservation and sportsmen?s organizations, government agencies and elected officials, who all worked together to achieve this positive outcome for Arizona?s natural resources and outdoor recreation enthusiasts.

For more information about safe and responsible use, visit the Arizona Game and Fish Department at www.azgfd.gov/ohv.

For more information about where to ride in Arizona, visit Arizona State Parks at azstateparks.com/partnerships/ohv/OHVindex.htm.

For more information about usage of state land, visit the Arizona State Land Department at www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/recreation_permit.htm.

For more information about title and registration of OHVs, visit the Arizona Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) at: www.azdot.gov. To purchase a decal for an OHV that has an Arizona title or registration, visit www.servicearizona.com.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-08 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]Mickey,

If you're a nonresident and your state already has an OHV program with some sort of license/stamp/decal necessary, you do not need anything from AZ. But you will be limited to 30 days use in the state.

If I recall, the only nearby state that doesn't have program is NV. In that case, someone would need an AZ title and OHV decal from here, as shown at the end of this from the AGFD website.

SAFE, ETHICAL AND RESPONSIBLE OPERATION

Are there any OHV Decal exceptions -or- I'm from out-of-state do I need to purchase the OHV Decal?

A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in Arizona without an off-highway vehicle user indicia (OHV Decal) if any of the following applies:

*The person is participating in an off-highway special event
*The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle on private land
*The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle from a vehicle
*During a period of emergency of if the operation is directed by a peace officer or other public authority

or

All of the following apply (For non-residents):
*The person is not a resident of Arizona.
*The person owns the vehicle
*The vehicle diplays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia or registration from the person's state of residency.
*The vehicle is not in Arizona for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.

Note: If your state does not title or register OHV's then you would be required to get an Arizona title and purchase the OHV Decal.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

As this reads, I'll have to title and register my quad in Arizona. If so, will I have to pay sales tax on the quad to Arizona? Also, in addition to the $25 stamp fee, what is the cost to title and register my quad? Will a stamp from another state be sufficient? While hunting in Utah, I have to purchase a stamp to drive my quad and that is it? Why does Arizona what you to register it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I finally got my answer yesterday from DMV. For Nevada residents, you have to have a Certificate of Origin or something comprible. Non-residents of Arizona are exempt from paying sales tax to Arizona for sales transactions that take place outside of Arizona. The cost of a title and off-road license plate is $12. The fee for the OHV decal is $25. It took them some time but I'm glad they replyed. Thanks for all the assisted me with this.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom