Arizona Premium Areas

Meander

I'm looking for the premium public areas in Arizona to apply for a permit to hunt both mule deer and elk. For mule deer I know the Kaibab and the strip are the coveted units, but these units are broken up into smaller areas. What are those areas by unit and which area is the absolute most coveted to draw a tag for?

I'm also looking for the premium areas for Arizona Elk. I've seen a few of the videos of the McClendon boys and would like to know what public areas they hunt.

Your willingness to share information is very much appreciated.

meander,
if you look at the draw results you can get a lot of info. but time of year and other factors play into coveted deer units. all of the units that are part of the kaibab hunts and strip hunts (12,13 units) have tough draws but some of the best deer hunting in the state.

in my opinion, almost any unit you put into in az can pay off if your looking for a trophy elk. you do have to put forth the scouting time to pull out a trophy class bull though. let me know if you have anymore questions.
nk

There are no big deer or elk in AZ. Try Utah! hehe

Actually AZ has some great hunting, but the chance of drawing tags are low. Call the G&F and they will help you out. Good luck in the draws!

Scott G.

Thanks for the help guys. I have tried Utah. Can't draw a tag here either. It's time to apply in multiple states. In most cases the odds of drawing a tag in another state is better than my home state. So maybe between Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, and Nevada I can actually draw a tag and do some hunting.

The McClendon boys don't hunt in AZ!Nah just kiddin I could tell you but you would have to give me some really hot areas here in Montana!But if I said anything old AZ402 would hunt me down if I ever showed my face in town again, and I really wanted to go home for the holidays!But then again I sure could use some areas and every man has his price.See what you can come up with maybe we'll talk, I've known them boys my whole life heck John used to be my baseball coach.

13B is the tag low deer numbers huge area monster muleys 12a west and 12a east have a lot more deer and if you like to see deer when hunting you might want to put in there because you could go days with out seeing deer on the strip. with out a guide or some one that knows the area it can be frustrating drawing a tag that is coveted by so many and not seeing anything. Elk- most of Arizona has huge elk the most popular units are 1, 3a/c, 7, 9, 10, 27 and like I said before you can pull a huge bull out of most any unit offering elk tags in Arizona. The rut hunts and rifle muzzleloader and archery are very hard to draw but usually tons of fun.

13B is where every Gov tag holder in the past ten years has taken their buck.It is a very tough draw for me anyway once in 13 years,but I shot a great buck 32 inch 6x6.The biggest that my hunters have taken was a 38 inch 7x8 that gross scored 268.For elk 10,9,3c and 27 all border Res's and some very big bulls over 400 inches are taken in these units.Still very tough draws,but when you get the tag WHOA look out!!!!

I actually for once have to agree with Casey ( man it hurts to do so) but yes...the best place on earth to hunt TROPHY ELK is the White Mountain Indian Reservation. THe waiting list is about 5 years and the cost is about $20,000. Of course, money talks...if you're willing to pay more, then I'm sure you can get a tag sooner. But the chance of tagging a 400+ bull are really high!

For public land hunting look at 7, 9 and 10 for true monsters. Mule deer...strip and Kaibab...hands down!

Good luck getting a tag thou. I've been waiting for 7 years ofr an elk tag and I've been putting in for the GREAT muley hunts, but I use my last few choices for a coues tag!

Good luck...

Scott G.

I would disagree with the best place to buy a tag for a big bull is the White Mnt.The Supia has killed some way over 400 and the San Carlos is far above the White Mnt.Why not buy a landowner tag in Nevada 12000 dollars and you can get a 400 bull.Guided a guy this year on a 404 bull on a nevada landowner tag.The Navjo tag is still around 8000 and there are some big boys around 400 there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom