Arizona Strip Cactus Buck!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
Guys, here is a photo of the cactus buck that my hunter, Tony Keller from Kingman got on the fifth day of our hunt.

He is 34" wide, and is a 9 X 5 with three drops on one side and a club on the other. Too bad you can't score these guys, he has junk everywhere..

As many of you know, I absolutely am enamored with "Freaks & Geeks" when it comes to wildlife, be it deer, elk, or antelope.

Great year on the Strip, we saw three really great bucks including this one.

Man, you just never know what you're gonna see up there. Guess that's why I like to guide up there so much.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/5220tony_keller_13b_cactus_buck_2010_001.jpg

Here is another photo of this very unusual buck.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how old this guy was? His ears are 26 1/2 inches wide. tip to tip!

Don Martin
AWO

7421tony_keller_cactus_buck_az_strip_2010.jpg

Thanks, might be worth a try. Anyone got any ideas on what they think he would score?

In my book, this isn't a buck you shoot for score, but it is a buck of a lifetime!

Just my opinion,

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-10 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]
Tough one there Don. Looks to be a mid/high 170 type mainframe. Droppers of 15"? 6-10" of other scoreables? Hard to tell how many of those points are scoreable. 205-210 gross, rough and dirty?

Like was already said, not a buck you care about score on, just a badd arse buck!!!!

Don
That's a really great looking buck.
No nuts?

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Who cares what it scores!!! I'd shoot him... Nice work Don and your crew.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Don,
That buck was way up there on my hitlist for the archery hunt. I even made a big move in the first part of the hunt, because we had trail cam pictures of him. We named him "putter" because the huge drop looked like an old golf putter!! Congratulations, we have some cool photos of that deer, and he is truly AWESOME!!

Tom Caldwell

Cool looking buck. As already mentioned, I would guess him to be 8+ judging by his face.

Did you guys notice what made him to be a non-typical and still in velvet this time of the year? Was he castrated? Did he have any injuries, scars, etc?

Don Martin;

Great buck!

That is truly a " Buck of a Lifetime "

congratulations.

Steve Cheuvront

Don Martin;

The cactus buck looks like he had a swollen neck , in the picture. Is that correct?

I've seen trail cam pictures of that buck in the summer time
and he looked very thin.

You're very knowledgable , I thought a cactus buck retained his antlers due to a lack of testostoren.

Did that buck have normal testicals?

That is a very big buck and most cactus bucks never have that huge frame structure , any ideas?

Steve Cheuvront

Don is on a sheep hunt right now, Im not sure when he is comming back.

Steve:

This bucks neck is larger now than during the summer however I dont beleve he was rutting. I was not with Don when he killed this buck but believe he was by him self. Last year his frame was the same with only one drop on the right, and he did not have all that crazy bumpy stuff.

KennyT;

I googled " Cactus Buck " and found a study report by Jim Hefelfinger, research biologist for the AZG&FD.

That and several other articles were very informative.

Many reasons can cause a deer to not loose its velvet and not cast its antlers.

Very Interesting.

That was my favorite buck of 2010.

Not too many people shared my opinion though.

If I was still a hunter , I would have hunted that deer exclusively.

Steve

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom