Arizona Strip Water question?

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
I am meeting with DWR and BLM and we are looking to try and put some water systems through out one of our areas. My question is from those of you that are familiar with the strip, what are the designs of the man made water holes, any pictures or suggestions where to get the information would be appreciated.

What ever systems they have across the strip, either the guzzlers, wells, a lot of the pictures you see of trail cameras are of mule deer by some kind of man made water systems. Just like to get an idea from what they are using.

Gonna take more than water cant to bring them SJ PISSCUTTERS back!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I think these are the best guzzlers we have in AZ. A concrete pie shape water collector draining into a 5400 gallon tank feeding two concrete drinkers with float valves and surrounding by a sucker pipe fence to keep the cattle out.

2804guzzler.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Same concept but using corrugated metal for the collector. The storage tank is under the tin roof and the drinker are the only things inside the pipe fence.

8442guzzler_2.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Thanks guys, and thanks Mike for the number and offer. Our DWR biologist isn't into the idea of guzzlers on winter ranges, tends to think it will keep the deer down low when they should be moving up the mountains. So he is more on board with putting guzzlers on the summer ranges, so we have to work with forest service, So have to see if forest service will work with us.
Thanks,

LAST EDITED ON May-12-15 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]I know one thing to consider as well is to get rid of the float system and go to a gravity system for the drinkers. From what I understand in the past in Nevada the float itself was the biggest single component to fail the most and require the most maintenance. A gravity system gets rid of the float and if built correctly you can monitor the water level in the tanks by just looking at the water level in the drinker. I didn't read the full link provided in the previous post but I would assume it spells out building the updated setup without floats. You may know that already, but I just saw floats mentioned in a couple post above and thought I would caution on the use of them. Good luck in your build.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom