Arizona Turkey Questions

B

bulleyfever

I have a turkey tag in arizona and have no idea how to hunt turkeys. I have a few calls and ive been practesing.Do i call all day or do i sit water or what.Any tips would help me out alot

bulleyfever

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-04 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]The "FUN" of hunting Spring Gobblers is calling them in,so start learning how to "YELP".The easy way to learn is to buy a Video,or hunt with an Experienced caller.Scout,Scout and Scout for Turkeys and Sign.Then just drive the roads and call the areas with sign.i.e. Canyons,Draws.19 stop/calls will not work,then the 20th.will get a "Gobble".Close the ground and yelp,yelp,yelp some more,if He gobbles back get setup and be ready.Good Luck,that 1st. "Gobbler" is always the BEST ---

Where's your tag for? I hunt as often as I can get a tag for turkey. I drew area 12 in Arizona. Not very familiar with it as well. But my first thing to do is find water. Turkeys love water and being around it. Next I'll drive the dirt roads in those areas and listen for gobbles. Early mornings, still dark, I'll use a coyote call to see if I can locate any birds. During the days, I'll use a crow call and call as loud as I can. Since you've never hunted turkeys then I would recommend you getting a turkey hunting video and viewing it as often axs needed. Turkeys have very keen sight. Any movement and its over. If you locate a turkey in a tree gobbling try and get within 100 yards of it, as long as he can't see you. Sometimes you can't get that close and will have to stay put and call. Try not to get any closer because he will see you. If you know if there is a field nearby try and setup on it. They love to strut in open areas. Its hard to tell you how to call to them but 3 yelps on a box call has gotten me plenty of gobblers within range. You don't have to be a pro at calling but you have to know when to call and when not. Also sometimes too much calling is as bad as too little. I try and judge how the gobblers is reacting to my calls and call accordingly. There a blast to hunt. Remember, if you here a turkey gobbling it may be another hunter. Be very careful and don't shoot at sound. I've had hunters using a gobbler call and walked in on me shaking it. By all means, if your calling, hunters will be drawn to you by the sound of your calls and any movement on your part could get a reaction that you may not want. I recommend you whistling to them until you get there attention, no movement of any kind. Scouting for turkey is fun. Walk the dirt roads and look for tracks and droppings. If near water look for tracks. A track 3-4 inches long should be a gobbler and one 2-3 inches long will be the hen. Best of luck and be safe. Mickeyelk

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom