Armchair Climatologist

ForkWest

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-11 AT 09:06AM (MST)[p]So tell me if you've observed any of these things or if I'm totally off base. Couple observations from the field:

Where I hunt in Wyoming, the deer usually strip velvet around the archery opener, week of sept 1st. I was there for the opener this year, all velvet. Back in on Sept 15th, still 75% velvet. Back again on the 30th, still about 25% velvet. From my experience this is at least 3 week behind normal schedule.

I didn't get out in the Utah hills during LE rifle or muzzy elk, but from all the comments on here, sound like peak rut was a couple weeks later than normal.

Look up on the hills right now. Leaves are changing, oaks are red and quakies are yellow. This week looks to be the peak for fall colors. This is for sure not normal. Color peak is usually around the muzzy deer hunt, end of Sept, first of Oct. Colors this year are peaking the week of the deer opener. Usually quakies are pretty much barren by the UT deer rifle opener.

So, what, if anything, dose this means? You wanna-be Mark Eubanks, let's hear your thoughts.

Fork I didnt notice the velvet bucks but the leaves are still thick as ever and they didnt turn color until way late.

yea so what? winter didn't end till late, so what if fall is two weeks late. All's well, it snowed in october. the rut was right on schedule in my neck of the woods. The bucks were clean in the first two weeks of sept as well.

We had a late winter and some late freezes here in Utah. Plus the whole summer was wet, wet, and more wet!! Memorial Day we saw a record setting rain storm, put 2 inches of rain down in some areas!

I think the trees are able to hold onto their leaves better if they are not stressed by a "lack" of water.

Climate is changing, but it goes through cycles, just like everything else.

>We had a late winter and
>some late freezes here in
>Utah. Plus the whole
>summer was wet, wet, and
>more wet!! Memorial Day
>we saw a record setting
>rain storm, put 2 inches
>of rain down in some
>areas!
>
>I think the trees are able
>to hold onto their leaves
>better if they are not
>stressed by a "lack" of
>water.
>
>Climate is changing, but it goes
>through cycles, just like everything
>else.

I've noticed some differences this time of year where I'm from as well, probs just cyclical climate change. Means I've had to rely more on weather sites though for information so I have an accurate idea of the climate before I hunt. Lately I've been using ScoutLook Weather (http://www.scoutlookweather.com/) which has been very accurate. They have regional video forcasts, a new app for the Droid and iPhone and tools like Scentcone. Makes a difference when your normal point of comparison is off so you have to rely on technology.

Last week I was in NM for a Deer hunt, and got to see two bulls fighting and bugling was still going on ,heard 7 bugles during the 4 days a was there. So I would say the rut down there was still dragging on seen one bull bedded down with a cow like he was ready, But she wasn't just yet. Next spring I think you will see a long birthing season on NM elk. The nights got down in the 30's and the days was was in the 70's.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The earthquake off the coast of Japan knocked the Earth's rotation and tilt off plumb a little bit...now our calender's are off a month..

I thought here in Colorado we had a late winter. It really didn't warm up till July here.. I want to say we had snow in may, cause we had a garden and I was worried about it... I want to say it's just a weird year...i am not 100% sold on the global warming causes..what if the earths core temp is getting hotter???
We just had a snow storm, most of the leaves were on the trees. Causes a lot of broken trees here in northern colorado

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom