Arrow Spine & Draw

jeremyr32

I am shooting a Mathews VXR.
26.5 DL at 60 lbs.
My broad heads and field tips are 125g. Should I go with 340 or 400 arrows. What should I cut my arrows to. I am using a drop away rest and prefer my broad head past my hand. any help would be great.

I think you are right at the line between 340 and 400. You shoot a fast bow and your tips and broadhead are heavier than average at 125g so in my personal opinion, I think you'll be just fine at 340.

This opens up the option to cut longer arrows or even run heavier inserts and/or tips/broadheads.

If I recall correctly, your draw length runs from the string to the edge of the arrow shelf at full draw. I would start off cutting your arrows 2" longer than your draw length (so 28.5") and see how they shoot.

With a 340 spine, I doubt you will see any shaft whip when it leaves your bow.

Oh, just wanted to add that I am an absolute fan of a heavy FOC and really just a heavier setup in general (480-500 grains total arrow weight). It just bucks the wind better and hits the target with authority and conviction. :D

FOC stands for front of center

Yep! What Homer posted. It's basically the front portion of your arrow shaft past the balance point. The average FOC is 12-15% but my arrows are closer to 20%.

Quick note - the FOC is calculated with a completed arrow (with nock, vanes, insert, tip/broadhead).

I am shooting a Mathews VXR.
26.5 DL at 60 lbs.
My broad heads and field tips are 125g. Should I go with 340 or 400 arrows. What should I cut my arrows to. I am using a drop away rest and prefer my broad head past my hand. any help would be great.
What is your bow speed rated at? Check out Archers Advantage software.

Not sure where you at with this but here is the Easton Hunt Shaft Selector. It gives most of the variables you need to select the right shaft.

Attachments

• Hunting Shaft Selector 2020.pdf
    251.4 KB · Views: 227
I agree with roadrunner, when given two choices (on the line) I would choose the stiffer option.

Always the stiffer spine. I have never shot an arrow that wouldn't shoot right because of too stiff of spine. Have handled many that had too soft of spine, none were accurate at all.

Personally I would use a 300 spine with a 150 grain broad-head.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom