Ashland NF hunting ???

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Hey guys! A buddy of mine is wanting me to go hunt with him over in the 700's. I have never hunted Montana before. Is there a good population of deer/elk. Is the hunt limited or is the general tag good? Should I try to draw for elk/deer combo or just deer? Thanks in advance!!

700 is limited for elk, there are some monster bulls but usually end up on private after the season starts. Pretty tough for a non resident to draw the elk tag. I used to hunt the NF around Ashland and if you put on some miles there are some good mulies around, gets hit pretty hard now a days. Best hunting is on private, the drought in that part of Montana (prior to last year) was having a pretty dramatic effect on the deer.

Rich

Dito, on Lost in Oregons last post. I have not put in for elk in this area, but have hunted the general deer there the last two years. Lots of 2-4 year old bucks, but you really gotta search for the big ones, (they don't get big by being stupid, and being where all the hunters are).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom