Asking for help..

Paul_Crawford

Long Time Member
OK. After all these years, I'm really asking for huntin' help. I'm tired of drawing for deer in CO every 4/5 years. Not gettin' any younger. So, am looking at WY for antelope. Haven't got a clue. A friend there told me to hunt units 9, 11, and 12 around Lusk. Mostly private. Here's the deal. I don't care about a "book" goat. I just want to get a buck and some does. HELP!!! Paul

i know they hand out lots of extra doe tags in some areas. not sure which ones for as i dont know the regs on antelope

You'll draw the area around Lusk without a point. Trespass fee will run you about $250. Lusk chamber has a list of ranchers they will send you if you ask. I've got a rancher Ph# I can give you, not big antelope but 3 years ago I killed one on his place that was 14'1/2". PM me an I'll try to find his number is my disorganized files he has about 110,000 acres.

Paul;

You can also place a phone call to the "True Value Hardware Store" located in Lusk and ask to speak to someone in the sporting goods section. They also should be able to provide you with ranchers that will allow trespass. Some of them used to be very reasonable in price. Most of the ranchers want the lopes thinned out.

Not hard to draw that area as about 90% is private land. If the local women still process game in town, use them as they do a good job for a reasonable price. Most of them earn their Xmas money that way. I will send you a PM to tell you one ranch to stay away from in area #11 that used to be good and now is a crap shoot due to new ownership.

RELH

Trespass fee for Goats in WY ? dude take an hour call the F&G and check the harvest reports. I can't think of a hunt that's easier to get a permit and kill a critter. Now, if you want a book buck maybe a trespass tag.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-11 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]No need to pay trespass fees for a decent goat. Put in for tags up in unit 7 well north of Lusk and just west of NewCastle. There are plenty of goats up there if you get off the roads a mile or so and there is over 12,000 acres of WIHA (private land that is enrolled for walkin access)up there besides quite a bit of National Grasslands that is open to the public. You can camp out along the roads in the Grasslands or stay in one of a number of motels in town. There is also a meat processor a few miles north of town on hwy. 85 if you don't want to do them yourself.

It just depends on what unit you are in and how much land there is. Unit 7 has some big chunks of WIHA and I doubt if you get off the roads aways that you would have a problem, but I never hunt anything out in Wyoming the first week to lessen the chance of seeing a lot of orange! I was out through unit 7 last year during the second week of the season and the unit was basically deserted!

We hunted the Medicine bow area a few years back on a leftover draw tag and killed a 73 inch buck.....antelope everywhere...

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Avoid the first week of the season and the the crowds disappear. I've hunted units where we did not see another hunter.

not sure were you coming from,but if travel time is of no concern i would come to western wyoming,mostly public lands, but
little harder to draw a tag,i draw area 93 any antelope + reduced doe,fawn almost every year,along with area 98 doe,fawn as a wyo res, i know it's diff for a non res.assuming you are a non res.

damb them lope's are good eat'n

Walk-in area wouldn't have alot of foot traffic after a mile most guys I have seen hunt the roads and then do stalks in to the nearest hills. You should n't have any problem filling your tag up there, Gillette has alot of goats too. Since you are close to the SD border you should try and draw a hardng county tag for them too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom