ASU Baseball fans?

AZtrophyhunter

I'm a huge Sundevil fan, especially football & baseball. I've been following their baseball team very closely this yr, they're 22-1 & the consensus #1 ranked team in the country. If you live in the area this is a team you want to watch so try & make it out. Wear your gold too! They open up Pac-9 play this weekend. Ike Davis is a stud & so is Bret Wallace.

It is so much easier to root for both UofA and Arizona's 2nd university since so many players from both teams are northern California boys.

UofA Preston Guilmet, Dwight Childs, Robert Abel and Eric Berger

ASU both Ike Davis and Brett Wallace.

I'm sure there are even more Norcal boys on those teams, but these come to mind right away.

Sorry - but gotta like my Longhorns at 17-6 ranked #12. They have a lot of juco transfers this year and are starting to gel. When they play error free ball they are as good as anyone! They have great pitching and should make it to Omaha. We are going to go see them play on Friday!

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Ike Davis is home grown my friend, straight out of Scottdale. But you're right, CA produces TONS of good college players. AZ is pretty close though.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-08 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p] SPEAKING OF OMAHA (COLLEGE WORLD SERIES SITE) , IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ITS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. I'VE BEEN TWICE & CANT WAIT TO GET BACK THERE AGAIN, ROSENBLATT (SP) IS A NEAT PLACE TO PLAY BALL. GO IF YOU CAN........YD.

I try to go about every other year to the CWS. One heck of a fight in the state going on now to build a new stadium or another remodeling of Rosenblatt. I think the new stadium is going to be a go. It will be downtown somewhere close to the Qwest Center.

Hey Husker - the Horns are playing Nebraska this Friday - should be a great game - Huskers are ranked #15 and the Big 12 is stacked! I'll try and post some pics! It's shaping up to be a great finish to the season!

UTROY

Yeah but the horns always seem to beat us in baseball anyway. It's a lot tougher for northern teams. Boy the Huskers were mad Monday when Oklahoma had to leave with the score tied. Their first blemish in the Big 12. Nebraska drives 7 hour to Norman for a game. Oklahoma takes a 31/2 hour bus ride to Kansas City then an hour an half flight to Oklahoma City then 45 minute bus ride to Norman. They had to catch a flight so left with an 8-8 tie. All to save an hour of bus time. Should be a good game enjoy it.

Hey Husker, I'll never forget that game at the CWS when ASU played Nebraska & Jeff Larish hit 3 hr's to bring the Devils back from behind for the victory. It was a sold out crowd of Nebraska fans that went away very dissapointed! It was an espn instant classic.

Yes, AZ, I stand corrected about Ike Davis. I didn't check my facts on that one. I guess you guys have to find a few homegrown players, huh? ;-)

You guys get a bunch of our best players, and my hometown is the source of many of them. Preston Guilmet, Robert Abel, Eric Berger, Dwight Childs and Michael Quesada (who will be a wildcat next fall) all come from the towns that are part of the greater Sacramento area. We have a WAC team, Sacramento State, that is trying to rebuild with local talent, but keep losing so many talented players to other programs. We produce more quality baseball talent than probably 95% of the other areas in the country, and if we could keep more of it, Sac State would have their day to play in Omaha.

I'm sure glad that we have at least a few MM'ers who love college baseball. I try to get out once or twice a week to watch WAC, WCC or jr. college games. We have two D1's and four jucos within a 45 minute drive of my house, and I go as often as I can.

I was there when Larish hit it. I knew we were screwed when the ball left the pitchers hands he really got a jump on the ball. I had great seats a guy I took hunting gave me free just to the left of home plate. Yeah! I was real disappointed not like when we lose in football but still disappointed. The coach now Mike Anderson is really a good coach and Nebraska is pretty good for not a baseball hotbed state.

First and formost I'm a UNM Lobo fan but outside of that I love both UofA & ASU , baseball and softball programs.Both my daughters play travel fastpitch softball for the NM Sundancers and we travel to AZ 4-5 times a year for tournys. We were in OK City last June and watched the Wildcats win another national championship , loved it. But yes , I'm and Arizona( NOT DIAMONDBACKS THOUGH)baseball and spftball fanatic....

I was lucky enough to get free tickets to watch them spank Michigan a while ago. Man, they are good. And they are fun to watch.

Yeah - the Huskers looked good this weekend! The 'Horns avoided the sweep by taking last nights game 12-3 but they got whooped on Friday and Saturday. Didn't end up going - dang it - my guy with the tickets didn't come through! He has promised he'll get me some later on though so well see. I may just have to pony up the cash though!

UTROY

Congrats to Texas! I read I think it has been 15 years since any team was able to beat them 3 in a row that says a lot right there. Pride to come back like that in game 3 I'd bet by June they'll be in the CWS.

OH NO......NOT LITTLE OLE FRESNO STATE OF THE WAC CONFRENCE. THE TEAM THAT HAS NO STUDS BECAUSE THEY ALL WENT TO THE BIG BASEBALL SCHOOLS .... HAS ADVANCED TO OMAHA. ASU WAS IMPRESSIVE & WELL COACHED.....FRESNO HAS TO ATTACK LIKE A SWARM OF BEES AS A TEAM .....OR THEY WILL BE ELIMINATE. NO REAL STARS, JUST A GROUP OF OVER ACHIEVERS. NOT ALOT OF HIGH DRAFT STUDS EITHER......GOOD LUCK TO THE FINAL EIGHT.....YD.

That's what you gotta love about college baseball! Way to go Fresno State!

Tough tough loss for ASU - they had a lot of hope this year but maybe the women's softball team used it all up. Would have been too good to be true to have two champs! They have nothing to hang their head about though. They fought hard and played tough.

The Horns had an early exit too! I know Husker's Husker's didn't make it either though they were tough. So good luck to Stanford, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Rice, Fresno St., LSU and North Carolina. I think Miami has the best stuff, but FSU, LSU or North Carolina could surprise.

UTROY

I'll be pulling for Fresno......butI expect Rice is gonna walk with the title.

Anybody who thinks baseball is boring didn't see the Fresno - ASU game last night.....WOW!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-08 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]Which part are you referring to Nick? The wild scoring, or the fight between Ike Davis and Brett Wallace? Two Sundevils teammates, both drafted very highly, and they get into a big fight. Can't help but wonder what it was over.

As for who's going to win it all, I'll go out on a limb and predict that Erik Davis of Stanford is going to record the last out, and there'll be a huge dogpile at the mound. It couldn't happen to a more deserving player than Erik. That kid nearly had his career ended two summers ago on Cape Cod when he was struck in the eye socket by a line drive. His parents were listening to the game on the internet when he was hit, every parents worst nightmare. They life flighted him to Massachusettes General Hospital, and his mom rushed to the airport to catch a flight to Boston to be with him ASAP. He went through 6 or 7 surgeries, and his eye socket is now mostly titanium. The Davis family went through hell with that injury, but Erik came back fine and is one of the big reasons the Cardinal is at Omaha. It couldn't happen to a nicer and more deserving young man.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom