ATT AZ Residents

B

bigdeer

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-04 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]Was just checking into the AZ Game and Fish website and they are considering ways to maintain resident hunting opportunies..

They are asking for any input we may have!!

www.azgfd.com

For those in the Mesa region, there is a meeting tomorrow night at the University Office. August 3rd. It's time to stand up and be counted for whatever good it may be and if you have an idea speak up it may just be the one were looking for. No one has the silver bullet for this yet.

I'm going to try to make the G&F meeting in Mesa tomorrow night. I'll be wearing a tan UofA ball cap with the "A" logo (for any of you MMers who want to introduce yourselves) ...

Lv2hnt

I'm a die hard hard ASU Alumni,,,, Normally I might grind my teeth to see that hat worn so close to the ASU campus..

But under the circumstances I'll gladly shake your hand...

Here is my suggestion that I submitted:

<snip>

My idea is to set a hard limit for non-resident hunters (~10%) for Deer (N. Kaibab) and Elk. We should setup a separate NR draw for units affected. NR hunters shall hunt latter dates, for example most Elk units have an early and late hunt opportunity. My suggestion is to create an even later opportunity for NR hunters and allow resident hunters to hunt the first and second opportunities and the NR hunter to hunt the third. This may require shortening the first and second hunts. We need to manage the Deer and Elk herds to accomodate for more hunters in the field. This more then likely will require limiting the number of permits for a couple of years until we get the numbers up to maintain what the current target harvest that includes the additional (~10%) NR hunters.

</snip>

What do you think? At least it is a start.

May the brainstorming sessions begin!

Once again I will open my big mouth and say that any person who is interested in the future of hunting big mule deer should be part of the solution instead of bickering about legal precedents and our US constitution and get involved with their respective states. This AZ situation will spread to all quality western states. NV, CO, UT, WY, etc.....USO will ensure that the same situation AZ is in will happen or is happening throughout the premium western states. This meeting tonight and the meeting friday will set the stage for the commission meeting the 14th....we need to provide as much help and suggestions that will help AZ and the western states. Currently there is an informal group of Western States game managers that are consulting on AZ to help their respective states. Mule deer and the Average Joe is going to lose if we dont do something now........ Allen Taylor......

Cazador, I agree with your suggestion on fixing the NR tags at a certain, fair #, and let them go into their own pool to draw them.. Your thoughts about splitting up seasons, however, and letting NR only hunt in the "not so prime times" will only get AZ into more "discriminitory" problems. I presume you are speaking of elk, for it you want to let only NR hunt the late rifle hunts for deer, I would be very happy with that as a NR but I'm sure the Residents would't like it. Right now, the late elk hunts, and the early rifle deer hunts, are designed to allow more hunters in the field. You certainly do not want to give out more tags than are already being given out or you will hurt your game. Just give a fair, fixed percentage in all hunts, problem solved.... Gamekiller

This may be extreme but I would say that if this situation is not resolved by the time hunt regs are printed next year why not just cut the number of tags on the Strip and Kaibab by as much as 60% or even eliminate rut hunts until this thing gets worked out. Could mean more tags for Residents down the road after the Taulman/ USO plague is abated. IMO I think some residents would give up their short term opportunities for a healthier more huntable herd in the future.
How many clients is USO applying for deer in the areas south of the canyon. I would bet none.
I am so pissed at these guys doing ANYTHING is better than doing nothing.

> I agree with cazador, give
>all the late season strip
>tags to the NR.
I believe that's precisly one of the things they want and while we're at it why not let George have an exemption on aerial scounting just for the season just to make taking that trophy just a little easier. I think NOT!!! In fact if I had it my way when they pull that trigger they would be charged a trophy fee of say $5000.00 and then would give up their priviledges to hunt Mule Deer in Az forever. But if they shoot a small deer they can come back until they kill an animal that meets the trophy standard. By the way if it's a NR guide it would cost him an extra $2000 too. If they used USO as booking service that would be an extra $2000 for him as well. George wants commerce lets give him a little commerce! Why not it's a limited resource and they want their trophy. Give the next guy a chance and this only effects the hunter that wants to take a trophy. It's what the are doing in Texas and back east and on the private preserves so why not make it equal. You play you pay but only at the high end of the spectrum. A little food for thought.........

I made quite a few suggestions to G&F via their website. I'm not really happy with any of them. One suggestion I made that might be non-discriminatory that would work is: Create a list of "high demand" units. Inscrease the "high demand" resdident permit for elk say to $200, nail NR's for 10X ($2000). Furthermore, require three species specific (NR's and Res.) bonus points to apply for these units. Wading through the less desirable elk/deer hunts will strip many hunters of their bonus points (unless they choose to "buy a point"). This is all the pits but there are ways to limit NR's but it won't be cheap, just what USO wanted.

NUNYA is better than that. I've reading his posts for the last year & all he does is try to get a rise out of you. Truth is, he's really a good guy but doesn't give a crap about anything right now because he has a unit 10 early rifle bull tag! Not to mention the tag is legit, not part of all the additional tags issued. So, good luck to you my friend......

BOSKEE, I was jokin. I dont agree with what has happened in AZ. and what is going to happen with the other western states. Although I put in the draws for about every western state I believe that residents should get the majority of the tags and should have a better chance at drawing them. After all they are the ones who are donating most of the time and money to better the wildlife and habitat in thier state.
Thanks Aztrophy, saw some good bulls in 10 last weekend..

NUNYA, sorry it's just that all of us down here feel like we been grabbing our ankles a little too much at USO's expense. I put in for other states like you and feel the same way. If I get drawn it's a bonus.
If you were trout fishing you got the rise you were looking for!
Good luck on your unit 10 elk hunt shoot a nice one. But if I were you I'd post a humorous sign that says you are not with USO if you're from out of state as a little insurance policy.

You know its kind of funny that you see all this talk of USO hitting the other states but not NM yet? I wonder why he hasnt hit his own state?

'Cause he already has his home state under control. 10% non res plus 12% non-res with guide plus private landowners selling tags to him. All is good for him at home.

A wise quote from a wise man at the Meeting in Tucson:

"The reason our game in Arizona has developed to the quality it is now is because the residents of this state have required it to be so. We have sacrificed opportunity to hunt for quality. Now the rest of the world wants to cash in. Guess what, we still want quality and we are willing to keep it."

Keep up the fight!

Nofear4

He already got what he wanted in NM a few years ago. Not sure if he actually sued or just threatned to, but either way, he was behind it. He even got them to set aside tags for guides, NR unguided, and got the landowner tags. He musta had some nudie pictures of the G&F commisioner or something.

So whats to keep a guy from threating NM to break the nonres cap if they dont kill the outfitter quota? i really hate that! he has his cake and eats it two!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom