Attn: 25-06 Owners

JadgBob

I just purchased a 25-06 and am debating on which scope and power range to put on it. What do you currently have and/or do you now wish you had gone with something else. Scope brand is important, but power range is also crucial. I only want to do this once. :) I am in SE Idaho so the terrain can vary from wide open sage to timber. I will be hunting deer, antelope, and varmints (and hopefully fill my wolf tag).
Thanks for your input!

JadgBob

It more depends on what level of magnification you are comfortable with. A 10x scope will work out to 1000 yards, does that mean its best for everyone...nope. My 25-06 wears a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with a Z600 reticle. I can get MOA groups out to 600 yards with it using my handloads. My 6.5-284 wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR scope with duplex and target turrets.

The current lines of scopes that have 5x and 6x magnification range are extremely versitile albeit more costly. This allows the power to be reduced for closer range or in timber type of hunting where the field of view is very large or they can be cranked up to a higher power magnification which can allow for more accurate long range sighting. The higher power setting has a gratly reduced field of view but brings the image much closer.

Leupold has a 3-18x with a 44 or 50mm objective. That is fairly impressive. Bushnell has a 2.5-16x50 Elite 6500 scope. The Swarovski Z5 and Z6 line are also nice scopes. There are others out there. These just popped out at me. Shop around and see what you like.

In the end it's really up to you. Go to a Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse and look at a bunch of scopes to see what fits your application and budget.

First off, if you haven't used a 25-06 previously I can tell you that it is a very underrated caliber and you will love it. I have a Ruger M77 that shoots under MOA groups with the Leupold VXI 3-9x40mm scope I have on it. That, or possibly their 4-12x40mm that I have on my Sako .243 should be all you need for the applications you mentioned in your post. You may even want to look at their Redfield line of scopes that are pretty impressive for the money they want for them and I believe they have the same lifetime warranty. I'm loading 50 grains of IMR 4350 behind 117 grain Hornady BTSPs for everything up to deer-size game and am very happy with the accuracy and performance of them. Good luck and let us know what you put on it and how it does when you get it on the range.

I put a Nikon 6-18x on mine and on the last trip to WY put down two antelopes at just over 300 yards and one in NV at 357 yards. I load 100 gr Barnes TTSX for it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-12 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]I just added a Leopold 4.5x14x40 to my .257 weatherby. I have the same scope on my 270WSM. Great scope that does all I need. I have the custom dial system and it works great out to 600 yards (the farthest I have shot). It will allow me to hit a milk jug every shot out to that distance. The gun and scope can do more than my abilities will allow.

42102506wscope3.jpg

Leopold VXII 3x9x40mm

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I have a bunch of different scopes ranging thru Burris, Redfield Leupold, and Nikon. Most are 3X10 or 4x12 magnifiers and they all get the job done just fine but the last scope i bought is very similar to the first and most used scoped rifle rig that i ever had...a straight 6 power on a 25-06

I like a straight 6 because when you bring your gun to cheek, you know what power your scope is going to be on. Not too high, not too low, your scope is always set on a great hunting scope power and there is no messing with nobs all the time or forgetting to change back after you have turned her up or down for various reasons.

Maybe not for everybody as you may not be keeping up with the Jones's next door but for my money, a straight 6 in a good quality lens like Leupold, what i bought, is a scope for a "hunter" that knows what he's doing.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My Ruger No. 1 2506 wears a very very old weaver that my grandpa put on it when he bought it. I believe that it goes up to 14x but I keep it at 6x. The gun is the varminter version so I probably won't pack it around because it is so heavy so what does another few pounds in a scope matter. I will probably only use it for Wyoming antelope. With this scope I can consistently get 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Probably wasn't helpful, but I'm bored so I wrote this anyways.

Rem.700 SPS w/ Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X50 110gr. handloaded accubonds @3170fps (i think - cant remember the load).

When I had a 25-06 (back in the 80s), it wore a fixed 6 power. Dang good deer gun it was.

For hunting now days, I like the Leupold 3.5 x 10 or the 2.5 x 8.

I like the B&C recticle because it reminds me of when I was a young kid shooting BB guns and having to "hold over" my quary. I have not bought into the spinning turret concept while hunting. I am afraid Mr. Murphy will show up and the "1 in a 1000" chance of having a malfunction will happen to me when I am on something good.:)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-12 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]I really like the 4.5-14X for that type of cartrige. I had originally thought that it was to high for an "all around" hunting rifle. I no longer think that. 4.5 is plenty low for 50 yard shots in the woods. (I can't get on target any faster with lower power stuff).

My X-Bolt 25-06 wears a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 and it's been awesome. It's probably my favorite cartridge. I think that magnification is perfect for most of my hunting needs. A 4-12 would be just a tad better, but I'm happy where I'm at with this scope.

Bob,
I have a 700 BDL 25-06 that I put a 26" Douglas premium barrel on. It absolutely drives tacks with just about whatever ammo (cheap or otherwise) that I put through it.

I have a Vari-X II 4x12 Leupold with the adjustable objective. It's a good combo. I've made some amazing shots with it and I'm not a great shot.

Matt

PS. I pm'd you about regarding your phone call to me a while back.

I'd opt for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with target turrets. To my eyes, the Conquest is clearer than the Leupold VX3. If you use Butler Creek scope covers, the Leupold eyepiece housing is much better suited to fit covers than the Conquest.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

I concur with Waspocrew on the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 power. the low setting is perfect for woods hunting when you might jump a deer at close range. The 10 power is more then enough for those long range shots.
My monarch has the duplex wires that I have learn to use as a range finder by bracketing the deer with the horizontal wire and the lower point where the thick vertical wire meets the thin wire. That point is dead on at 400 yards when I have the crosshairs adjusted to almost 300 yards. Have made over 5 one shot kills out to 500 yards using that methold.

RELH

Mine carries a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 with the B&C reticle and I love it. I shoot 120 grain Nosler Partitions and have stoned 3 bucks with it the past couple of years. One at 350 yards and two over 400. I wish I would have purchased the rifle years ago. Best of luck.

A good 9x or 10x will handle any hunting situation as far as you can ethically shoot a 25-06 on deer sized game, BUT, if you plan to see how small a group you can put together at or over 200 yards I think you should consider 14x.

I have and use Zeiss Conquests in 3x9 and 6.5x20 and like them both very much. I also have a 2.5x10 Vortex Viper HS with ballistic reticle, which is reasonable priced and very functional if you want to shoot more than 300 yards. The optical clarity doesn't match the Zeiss, but I can see where the reticle sits just fine out as far as I can shoot, especially on game.

I have a leupold vxIII 3.5x10 on my 25/06. It has been a good choice for me. I have hunted the south and mid west with this set up deer and yotes. It is bright enough in the early am and late evening. I would like one a little stronger but then I would have a higher low power and lose field of view when needed on those moving targets. I only use the highest power at the range so all and all Im happy with it. Good luck on your choice.

BRUSE
US Army proudly serving

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom