Attn. Idaho Muzz. Hunters

fairchase

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-04 AT 11:28PM (MST)[p]Idaho muzzleloader hunters, you are about to loose the only unlimited muzzleloader Mule Deer hunt in S.W. Idaho.

As you all know the unlimited (lower) muzzleloader hunt in unit 45 in recent years has grown dramatically in popularity. As of last year, there were over 500 hunters in the hunting area. It is
crowded to the point that a lot of people believe the mass of hunters is actually training the deer to avoid the area where hunting is allowed until the season is over. Needless to say, the success rate there is now very low.

To remedy the problem, IDF&G told us in the Idaho Statesman that they propose to move that hunt to unit 52, and while there are fewer deer in unit 52 the unit is bigger and has more public land, so hunters could spread out and have a better overall hunting experience. However, what they chose not to disclose is that along with the unit change they are going to restrict this hunt to traditional muzzleloaders only. While I have nothing against the traditional guys and their weapon choice, when you look the total numbers, they are only a small portion of the total muzzleloading hunters in Idaho. Additionally, when you factor in that scopes are not legal for inline muzzleloaders, there is no big difference in the amount of game taken. Really, what the F&G department is doing is excluding a large group of hunters to cater to a small group. With the continued growth and popularity in muzzleloading, the department should be creating more muzzleloading hunts in more units for types of enthusiasts.

Basically, the Idaho Fish and Game is telling the muzzleloader hunters of Southern Idaho that if you like to hunt with an inline muzzleloading rifle, even though your only using but open sights, you must now compete against the centerfire rifle hunters with their high power scopes and their multiple shot capabilities, in the any weapon and general season hunts.
This decision would be wrong and unfair, and frankly their approach is nothing short of underhanded.

At this point their exclusionary plan is almost complete and there is only one chance to object. Your time to speak up is this Wednesday night at the
Fish and Game headquarters on 600 South Walnut Street in Boise. If you feel this is as wrong as I do, you must attend and voice your concerns. Not to mention the half-truths and secret keeping B.S. game they are playing on the hunting public who pay their salaries.

Again the final Meeting is this Wednesday March 24th at 7:00pm. If you plan on speaking to oppose this unfair elimination of your last Unlimited Muzzleloader Only Hunt, you must show up early and sign in on their roster.

I don't know about that, but I do know that the 45-III unlimited tag for inlines is gone. There's a new hunt opportunity (unlimited muzz) in unit 52.

I just don't know about unit 52. New hunts usually provide good opportunity though. My take is that it's worth looking into--I won't be hunting it though--too many other hunts this fall.

When the regs came out I went for a drive. Look at the boundaries very closely. The hunt runs from Shoshone - North to Timmerman hill rest area - over to Carey and back to Shoshone in a triangle. Everything on the other side of Hiway 75 is not open to muzzleloaders. I saw lots of sign but no deer. It was midday. I believe there is big deer in there. I have seen deer crossing the hiway to that side. However, there was almost no cover. Getting close enough would be very very tough. You would really have to invest alot of time patterning the deer and sit and wait. Alot of luck would also be mandatory. I'm a new muzzleloader hunter but I opted not to try this one. This is just my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom