ATV article that Utah should read

Glad someone is studying ATV affects finally... Whichever side you are on with ATVs- I'm sure we all want to know how they affect our wildlife...

Bottom line: Big game animals OBVIOUSLY hate ATVs.

Thanks for the post FullCurl74..!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

It may be quite a jump from a moose study to the effects on deer and elk. No doubt there is some relationship, but it seems like more work needs to be done.

But who is really surprised? The data deals with disturbances from vehicular traffic, from cars to ATV's to bicycles. ALL have an effect on animals in the area. Bicycles have a suprisingly high discturbance factor, to paraphrase the research. So lets rank those evil mtn bikes right up there with ATVs and cars. Somehow leading this thread with a title about the effect of mountain bikes on moose or elk doesn't seem to have the same emotional reaction.

Bill

>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42311068
>
>Okay, maybe everyone in the west,
>sorry to single out Utah
>but it seems to be
>the epicenter of ATV use
>and/or abuse. I guess
>it's good to see national
>mainstream coverage of an issue
>that we all debate here
>on MM.
>
>Bottom line: Big game animals
>hate ATV's.

i didn't see anything about " atv abuse" in that story that was about alaska you did get the "main stream " right though.

>i didn't see anything about "
>atv abuse" in that story
>that was about alaska you
>did get the "main stream
>" right though.

Does driving your ATV off of roads not sound like "ATV abuse" to you? I think you may have missed the point of the article.

The "affects" of ATV use has been studied for many years. Just google it and you will see that just about every state has done, is doing or is about to start some form of "atv study". The problem is that the USFS does their studies based on habitat and not on the affects on animals. Case in point: the waters on Strawberry Ridge in Utah have trails running up through the bottom of them that are close to atv use yet open to all other forms of transportation including motorcycles. I find it interesting that Alaska has more atv's per capita than any other state in the union and they are just now trying to figure out how to close some trails.

It's always an adventure!!!

I have seen as much ATV abuse in Region G in WY as I have in Utah. Also dealt with it in Colorado and Nevada. And they weren't Utahns causing the problems I saw.

Wow, imagine that !! And they published their results in Ecosphere. Did you ever notice these scientists ALWAYS find results that are what you would expect, depending on who is funding the research or where they want to get their BS published??

"We were actually able to quantify how much habitat was lost," Shanley said.

Shanley found that males avoided areas up to a third of a mile (500 meters) from the ATV tracks, and females avoided double that distance from tracks.

"up to a third of a mile"; is that like from some statistically significant number of animals using some Kalman filter algorithm? "Up to" could be 3 meters or 10 meters or 499 meters.

"Keeping road traffic to below an average of one vehicle every four days for every kilometer of road through a given square kilometer of forest was a threshold that would minimize the likelihood of disturbing moose in the area, the pair calculated." This all sounds like total BS to me. Are they looking for a job at a university or for the Forest Service or some other crack pot job? They clearly have an agenda.
-- Bob

** their next study will show how much better the situation is if more wolves are introduced and the moose are eliminated.

Interesting read....

I would have to say that after some of the things I have seen this spring I would have to say that Utah may not be the epicenter but just another area where lazy idiots have too much freedom to roam. I think this is an ENFORCEMENT issue and the FS, BLM, and state agencies need to develop a plan to address this because the cheetoh eating, mtn. dew drinking, fat, lazy, slobs that are running all over the country side on their wheelers, tote goats, motorcycles, and side by sides are gonna ruin it for everyone. They need their a$$'s handed to them in fines, only way they'll learn. If these agencies don't step up and begin to actually enforce some of the laws that are currently in place this will never end.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

>>i didn't see anything about "
>>atv abuse" in that story
>>that was about alaska you
>>did get the "main stream
>>" right though.
>
>Does driving your ATV off of
>roads not sound like "ATV
>abuse" to you? I
>think you may have missed
>the point of the article.
>

again i don't see anything in that story about "illegal atv use"
they were talking about roads !!
wish i could get some government money to do a study about people wasting tax payer money on bs stuff! maybe you should go to the mountain bike forum and preach to them sounds like they scare moose too!

>Interesting read....
>
> I would have to say
>that after some of the
>things I have seen this
>spring I would have to
>say that Utah may not
>be the epicenter but just
>another area where lazy idiots
>have too much freedom to
>roam. I think this
>is an ENFORCEMENT issue and
>the FS, BLM, and state
>agencies need to develop a
>plan to address this because
>the cheetoh eating, mtn. dew
>drinking, fat, lazy, slobs that
>are running all over the
>country side on their wheelers,
>tote goats, motorcycles, and side
>by sides are gonna ruin
>it for everyone. They
>need their a$$'s handed to
>them in fines, only way
>they'll learn. If these agencies
>don't step up and begin
>to actually enforce some of
>the laws that are currently
>in place this will never
>end.
>
>Its lonely at the top.... just
>the way I like it.
>

WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!! If only we had more regulation? If only the DWR would spend more time chasing quads? "we're hoping this illustrates that we can get a lot more specific about where and how we manage access" Who the hell are we?? I live in Utah. I can't figure out how we have any land, or anything without the "help" of lawmakers and college professors. I am sure that some senator from New York will be glad to sponsor some more legislation telling us how and when we can use our land. God only knows that without some regulator or college professor we would just be too damn dumb to deserve to live. If only we could lock up all public land, giving access only to our government controllers all would be well.

I don't have a Phd in animal science but I am going to take a shot. All interaction between animals and humans cause an adverse reaction in the animal. Prey animals are never really wild about being where there are predators, be they human or otherwise. But mostly, if you have no common sense, go spend your life on a college campus, so you can tell everyone what they already know, and get the feds to fund it. What a HUGE waste of money, a better study would be if I light a $100 bill on fire will it burn? At least we would get heat from the flames. All we get from this is a waste of cyberspace.

>
>WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!! If only we had
>more regulation? If only
>the DWR would spend more
>time chasing quads? "we're
>hoping this illustrates that we
>can get a lot more
>specific about where and how
>we manage access" Who
>the hell are we??
>I live in Utah.
>I can't figure out how
>we have any land, or
>anything without the "help" of
>lawmakers and college professors.
>I am sure that some
>senator from New York will
>be glad to sponsor some
>more legislation telling us how
>and when we can use
>our land. God only
>knows that without some regulator
>or college professor we would
>just be too damn dumb
>to deserve to live.
>If only we could lock
>up all public land, giving
>access only to our government
>controllers all would be well.
>
>
>I don't have a Phd in
>animal science but I am
>going to take a shot.
> All interaction between animals
>and humans cause an adverse
>reaction in the animal.
>Prey animals are never really
>wild about being where there
>are predators, be they human
>or otherwise. But mostly,
>if you have no common
>sense, go spend your life
>on a college campus, so
>you can tell everyone what
>they already know, and get
>the feds to fund it.
> What a HUGE waste
>of money, a better study
>would be if I light
>a $100 bill on fire
>will it burn? At
>least we would get heat
>from the flames. All
>we get from this is
>a waste of cyberspace.

It's pretty obvious that you don't have a Phd in comprehension either.... I never said we need more laws, I simply stated we need to ENFORCE THE ONES THAT ARE IN PLACE....

Also, it appears you have some anger issues.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-11 AT 03:52PM (MST)[p]Regardless of whether or not you agree with the "results" of this study, the point is that if people keep abusing their ATV's (driving them off road) we will have more regulations.

I don't like excessive government regulation any more than the next guy, but that's what we're going to get if people keep their righteous attitude that they have a God-given right to drive their ATV anywhere they want, whenever they want and the government shouldn't infringe on that "right" just because of some study that some phd student did in Alaska to get a job with the Forest Service as someone stated above.

Yes maxxbob, they have an agenda... to show that big game animals don't like ATV's. Obviously game animals have avoided roads way longer than I have been alive and we don't need any studies to prove that. However, now there are ATV's driving all around in areas that used to be isolated from road traffic. That's why we're headed for more laws and regulations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom