ATV help

T

TriggerMag

Looking for an ATV new or used, what do you guys recommend and Not recommend, is there any I should stay away from.

In before the ATV haters rear their ugly heads. Go with honda, you'll not regret it. Use it responsibly, stay safe, and enjoy.

Get a Grizzly I love mine... never slowed it down...not once its a great ATV, I also have a sportsman 700 and the grizz is so much better. Hondas are too stiff but they do have a good motor but so does Yamaha if you stay with either a Y or an H you cant go wrong as far as durability is concerned... ~G4

Yes the arctic Cats are not worth the money. The Polaris Sportsmen are Great quads as are the Yamahas. I have a Yamaha Briun 350 4x4. It is a great quad accept I really miss the Indepent Rear Suspension of the kodiak

-Cass

the best atv out there is a honda. i have ridden all types of wheelers for work, play, and hunting, and hondas are head and shoulders above the rest.

if you are looking for a good all around atv, go with a honda rancher (400cc) or a honda rubicon (500cc) depending on the size you are wanting.

Like Cass said, Polaris Sportsman's are great, but, only if you want to support your local mechanic. If you want a worry free machine stick with yamaha, honda or kawasaki. There's plenty to choose from there. It just depends on your needs. Do you want a nimble-sporty fun machine to use for hunting or more of the all around the farm work ride. For a great do it all machine look at the grizzly, rincon or prarie. For a shake your teeth out of your head farm machine look at the honda foreman. Good Luck.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-04 AT 05:51AM (MST)[p]TriggerMag, I have a Cat 500, love the ride with the suspension on it, but I got it for a dual purpose rig, and the price was right, I use it more on my property than I ever did in the country, a winch is a good thing also, I have used it so much for so many projects around the house, it gets the job done! If I had to do it again would of got a Honda. ATV's are like outhouses they all provide good service in time of need, look around there are lots of good ones out there and get what fits you and your needs in your price range, just my opinion...Greg

All I have ever owned is Yahama. They have been great. A lot of my friends ride Honda. Either one would be good.

If you want a rig that will start and run after ten years sitting outside like mine does then get a Honda. They are bullet proof. Just look at used bike ads and what do you see the least of but sells the most? Wonder why. Good luck.

My Polaris 400 Sportsman is nice however its top heavy, center of gravity is a little to High, It's rolled on me twice in general non-agressive use. (once out in BFE) kind of scary at times. I also have a Yamaha 350 and it's been very reliable, dependable (never been rolled) and pulled out many an Elk!

Good luck

Nofear4

From experience, I wouldn't buy a Polaris again...nothing but headaches! Bought 2 2005 Yamaha Kodiaks, I love 'em. Can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha.

If you buy a Honda, be sure to get a set of kidneys to go with it. I got a 2004.5 Polaris 500HO over the honda. I love it, no problems.

WapitiBob,
give it a year or two, odds are you'll have problems. I agree on the rough ride of hondas, except for the rincon. That thing gets an A in the ride department.

We bought two identical Polaris Sportsmen 500. Both are a piece of crap. Identical problems. Built very cheap. Cheap spot welds holding important parts of machine. Clutch problems. Just an all around expensive POS. We should have listened to the Honda guys but didn't.
Anything but Polaris

My vote goes to arctic cat, cant be beat in the hills.
on flat ground their not very fast but the have alot of torque
for low end pull. They also have the most ground clearance.
No problems yet.

fairchaseben,
Was that pointed towards me, 'cause I've been through third grade several times. I'm almost through fourth grade. And I still recommened spell check.

No it was for Vini , and it was supposed to be a joke too .

And by the way , I recommend a stairmaster and a pair of boots .

Sand Dunes just dont seem to be as much fun walking around or riding a horse... go figure.

-DallanC

I recommend the ATV from the company who made the very first ATV, and still makes GREAT ATVs........SUZUKI !!!!!!!!!!!

VINI ,
You should be doing stand-up...

myself have boots anyway! 2-danner size 9.5 since 2003! so go danner!

elk_horn, I have a Vinson and a KingQuad and they have performed flawlessly, for years !!! My KingQuad once hauled me, my son, 3 deer and a treestand over two mtns. and back to camp and never missed a beat!!! SUZUKI= Great ATVs !!!!

Thanks guys for all the info, you can definately see by all the comments which machines stand out from the rest. All I have to do know is find one!!!!

Triggermag,

If you want serious comprehensive info, check out WWW.ATVTV.COM. Look under the "Test Info" button. Doug Meyer has an ATV television show on the Outdoor channel. He knows what he's talking about! He's not a Polaris fan either. I have an old Polaris Sportsman 400, the first and only ATV that I've owned.

I will not buy another Polaris..it is one seriously high centered POS and the brakes and downhill compression sucks. I was thrown twice during the hunting season due to the rear single swing arm and high centered design. I must have been a lucky owner, haven't had any major problems, just kind of crappy construction.....seriously thinking about the Honda Rincon!!!!!

Longrifle 1, out!

Don't buy before you try.
We've owned 7 diffrent Yamaha's since my first one in 1988 a 2x4
350 ER just before the mighty bears hit the market.I pushed snow with it last year.Gave it to my friend last week for his kid to push snow.
Combined on all these machines I've bought 3 batteries,one set of tires and one throttle cable.
Currently have two 660 GRIZZLIES(02&04 limited edition, prettiest damn thing you ever saw) and the 2001 atv of the year,
a 400 KODIAK AUTOMATIC coulden't be happier

If you go with the Polaris, buy the 4 year warranty. You will need it. At any rate if you have to work on it yourself, which you will, you will find that all the bolts are in backwards due to the assembly process at the factory. Once you take the entire bike apart to replace the A-arm bolts that constantly shear off, you will be in better shape due to putting the bike back together in a logical way.
Also replacing the cheaply spot welded support bar on the back will only take you a couple of days.
It is amazing something so expensive is built so cheap. Good old american inginuity.
Also, if you go riding, be sure to take a friend along so you can ride back when your Polaris breaks down.

Honda! Had nothing but trouble with Suzuki outboards and quads. Will never own one again! Havent had one second of trouble with my Recon, Foreman or Rancher!
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

Eric

I am surprised by all the negative comments on Polaris. I have a Sportsman and we hammer on them and have had no problems. It is a 96 and we abuse it. My buddy has had two newer ones and he has had no problems either. The Hondas run nice but they are geared to slow for me. At least the older ones were. My next one will be a Polaris based on my own experience.
Shane

I have a Honda Rubicon and like it. However, if I could do it over again I probably would buy the Honda Rancher specifically for the gas mileage. Also, they are lighter and can maneuver a little more easily that the Rubicon.

slowbow

Polaris sucks balls!! You know when you spend $7k on a bike you'd think they'd spend a little more money on welding and some harder bolts that won't break. These machines are meant to be USED not putted around some lame two track course specially made for blue haired retired folk. I will never ever ever buy another Polaris. There's a new Honda out that looks amazing and those Bombardier bikes look indestructible.

Josh

Buy one of each then take them to the range and put a bullet right into the block!

ATV's have no place in mule deer country, period.

Tfinalshot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom