ATV Question

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So I'm considering buying an ATV for my hunting this fall and in the future. My plan for the fall was one full size ATV so that my wife could ride with me. I was told yesterday at a dealer that you couldn't carry passengers unless the ATV was designed to do so. I just found this website http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/all-terrain-vehicle-safety-laws-by-state.aspx#nm which leads me to believe that it's only if you're operating and under 18 that you can't carry passengers. Anyone have any clarification on this and/or know of anyone who's gotten ticketed for having a passenger on public lands? Thanks.

Logan, the dealer has to tell you that because they are not designed to carry more than 1 person unless you buy the 2-up model. I have been stopped to check my OHV registration while I had another passenger and they didn't say anything or ticket me. That has been a few years back though. If possible I would get the 2-up model just for the comfort of the passenger. Good luck on your decision and upcoming hunts.
Mike

7 mile road in Utah, on Labor Day, probably has 25/hour driving up or down it and a full time law enforcement watching the action. Nobody was getting a ticket for having a passenger sitting behind them.

You are fine with the wife or kids sitting behind you, but all the same get a 2 up model. I get the kids on the back of mine with a after market seat that is rock solid, but when I get one of my lard-a$$ friends on the quad I have to go super slow to maintain steering and to not bottom it out. the various touring models set up for 2 are the way to go. Wish I had gone with a two passenger.

Great info. Thanks!

>You are fine with the wife
>or kids sitting behind you,
>but all the same get
>a 2 up model. I
>get the kids on the
>back of mine with a
>after market seat that is
>rock solid, but when I
>get one of my lard-a$$
>friends on the quad I
>have to go super slow
>to maintain steering and to
>not bottom it out. the
>various touring models set up
>for 2 are the way
>to go. Wish I had
>gone with a two passenger.
>

Here's what I think is the big issue. The side-by-side ATVs are called UTVs. In Colorado, there are many Forest Service roads where you cannot drive a vehicle unless it has a State License Plate (Highway Legal), not an ATV license or sticker. UTVs cannot get a state license plate so they can't be driven on some designated Forest Service roads (and ATVs can't either). In addition, UTVs over 50 inches wide cannot be driven on designated ATV trails. So, in Colorado, there are some National Forests where you can't drive the UTV on the roads or on the trails. I haven't heard about this in New Mexico yet, but it is probably coming. For an example, look at the top right corner, page 2, of this brochure:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5437261.pdf
"Some roads are closed to OHVs due to safety hazards caused by mixed use and traffic volume." -- I know of at least 2 Forest Service roads now where I cannot ride my 4 wheeler, and on one of them I was stopped by a Game Warden, DRIVING AN ATV !!! So here is a quote from the middle of page one of the above brochure: "Utility Terrain Vehicle (UTV) An off-highway vehicle where passengers ride side-by-side. UTVs greater than 50 inches in width are not allowed on Forest Service ATV trails. Colorado does not recognize most UTVs as street legal."
Here's something else you may not realize: Unlike my Ford 4X4 where I buy a NM license plate and I can drive it on any Forest Service Road, for my ATV, I have to buy a New Mexico ATV sticker ($60 every 2 years) AND a Colorado Sticker ($25 per year) AND a Wyoming Sticker ($15 per year) AND Montana Sticker (etc., etc.)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-15 AT 03:00AM (MST)[p]I have booked lots of miles on my atv getting to and from places I wanted to start hiking with my brother and I onboard, never a problem with the law or safety if you are responsible in driving. I will add that the greatest hazard is coming down a steep incline with 2 onboard. Be smart and get passenger off if its steep.

I'm considering a UTV but only the Polaris Razor Trail version which is 50" wide to comply with the trail restrictions.

Take a look at the Arctic Cat wildcat trail. It's 50" wide and was made to school the razors, which mine has done awesome. I got it because I have encountered trails in NM where they have made it the 50" requirement already. Actually opened up a lot more exploring opportunity. I love mine, and my atv. Just a thought.

Ryan

Yeah I considered the wildcat 50s too. I decided to not buy new and found a really good deal on a razor 800 which is 50" as well. I'm driving to check it out thurs and if it's in as good a shape as the owner says, I'll be bringing it home with me. can't wait!

CanAm Outlander 500 is a great 2-up/2 person rider ATV for the money and for comfort.... If you are gonna have your wife ride passenger, you better make her comfortable, or she may not go back with you. Think how many miles you could ride on the back of a one man ATV, she probably could only ride for 25% of that.

I did. I went there willing to pay 5800 if it was in good shape. We found some things that needed replacing and noticed it had been in the water a decent amount without good cleanings afterward. Got it for 5k after pointing out all the TLC it needed. I'm very pleased with the final price as i'll probably put 1k back into it on replacement parts in the next year or so. Will be taking it scouting sunday though and can't wait to get out and ride it!

>Hi Ltsheets, Just wondering if you
>bought that Razor 800, conditions,
>and how much.

Congrats Lt that's a smoking deal! Keep an extra belt with you when you go out. Also, if yours has a hitch in the back, I made my rear cargo area larger by adding a rack that goes from the hitch up to the rear cargo area. really helps with big loads. Enjoy!

Ryan

awesome. I am happy for you Lt.
$6000 after you will go through everything with new belt (don't forget) is like the price for a 4-wheelers yet is is a side by side with roll cage. Yay. Enjoy it. My mouth is watering now.
Please keep us posted for how it runs. Thanks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom