ATV's

goldhunter

Is there a required permit for ATV's in Idaho like other states? I have a Diamond Creek elk tag. I do see there are travel restrictions regarding hunting, but understand you can pack camp in and meat out. Surprised. That seams pretty liberal actually and open to abuse. Am I missing something?

Thanks

There is a required off road sticker, I don't where you are from but at least with Utah I believe there is a reciprocity with off road stickers. I have not actually hunted diamond creek but I have other units with the same ATV restrictions and can say it is a VERY abused law, and frustrates those that follow the rules.

Diamond creek has a few main roads but most trails are closed to atvs reguardless of packing in or out.

The ATV laws can be confusing in Idaho. The ID F&G may state that you can use them to pack in/out a camp and/or meat, BUT the Federal rules (sometimes with BLM but mostly with National Forest) must be obeyed as well - they have travel plans (and maps) for each NF district and often times certain trails are closed (or seasonal closure) regardless of what you are doing with the ATV.

The main problem with the Idaho law is the areas that have the off road rule in most cases is wide open travel for anyone without a gun on them. So if you are hunting you have to get off the ATV and walk. The next guy might be picking berries and it is perfectly legal for him to drive there. In my opinion the rule should be contested due to the limiting factor is a gun. If you carry a gun you break the law. I have yet to see a case where a berry picker packing a weapon for protection was ticketed.

While you are waiting, try the Forest districts website. I was able to download the most recent Travel map for my hunting area.

Contact the USFS station in Soda Springs and ask them to email you a copy for their travel plan for the Diamond Creek area. You will find that in that area if a vehicle can drive the road then so can an ATV. All trails and roads that are lock gated or blocked are closed to ATV travel. In addition many used ATV trails of the past are now closed to ALL motorized vehicles including ATV's and motorcycles. The USFS regulates the closure based from the travel plan and they closed off a bunch of places about 4 years ago. The areas are totally closed, no taking in camp gear or going in to pick up downed game...that rule is IDFG, and the federal rule USFS travel plan closure takes
Travel Plan closure over rides the IDFG rule.
There is no permit fee or sticker in Idaho. Vehicle must have current sticker and registration from home state.

))))------->

Anyplace you can go on an ATV you can take a jeep or short wheel base 4x4. I know IDFG puts out well hidden trail cam's on frequently violated trails. Guys think they are clear and then at the end of the season they get a big citation surprise in the mail:) 1 pic one violation. Do it for a week or so and that many pics...is going to hurt. They set the cam's up at the correct height to photo the license sticker on the finder.

))))------->

Holy cow, never thought of them doing that...do you know of anyone being busted? Serves them right for violating regulations, but it makes sense to get the word out so folks think twice about breaking the law.

Yep know some of the busters :) and glad those idiots that don't follow the rules sooner or later will get theres....

))))------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom