August Off Range Oryx Advice

MrCruz

Just finished a 5 day oryx expedition with my little brother for his off range oryx tag. First time either one of us has hunted these elusive creatures. Did everything that I could find and read about doing, checking fence lines for crossings underneath, found tons, checking tanks/water for tracks and sign, found tons but nothing seeming too recent, most of it looked 3-4 days to possibly weeks old, covering tons of ground stop and glassing out of the back of pickups. Spent time all around the western fence and up to 8 miles away from it, mostly middle to north of west side, some on the northeast fence side. Saw a total of 5 oryx on range, and 4 on the middle of a massive private land. Any advice anyone could provide to get us pointed in the right direction to get him his tag filled would be greatly appreciated. Beginning to wonder if they only move around at night with these 100 degree days in August…

Just finished a 5 day oryx expedition with my little brother for his off range oryx tag. First time either one of us has hunted these elusive creatures. Did everything that I could find and read about doing, checking fence lines for crossings underneath, found tons, checking tanks/water for tracks and sign, found tons but nothing seeming too recent, most of it looked 3-4 days to possibly weeks old, covering tons of ground stop and glassing out of the back of pickups. Spent time all around the western fence and up to 8 miles away from it, mostly middle to north of west side, some on the northeast fence side. Saw a total of 5 oryx on range, and 4 on the middle of a massive private land. Any advice anyone could provide to get us pointed in the right direction to get him his tag filled would be greatly appreciated. Beginning to wonder if they only move around at night with these 100 degree days in August…
What Paul said. Just have to be at the right place at the right time. Also, in hot and Sandy areas, some times the tracks are fresher than they appear. I’m not sure how much hunting experience you have in the sand or 100 degree heat.

What Paul said. Just have to be at the right place at the right time. Also, in hot and Sandy areas, some times the tracks are fresher than they appear. I’m not sure how much hunting experience you have in the sand or 100 degree heat.
Not much experience at all, used to hunting Oct-Dec and February for javelinas

I've discovered that oryx will water at night in high traffic/pressure areas like where you've been.

Earlier in the mornings before it gets hot.

Keep at it. Off range oryx isn't easy. Many hunters that put in a lot of effort end up going home with tag soup. Just keep putting time and effort in. I've seen them out feeding mid day when it is 100 degrees but I would really focus my attention in the morning before it gets too hot.

Keep at it. Off range oryx isn't easy. Many hunters that put in a lot of effort end up going home with tag soup. Just keep putting time and effort in. I've seen them out feeding mid day when it is 100 degrees but I would really focus my attention in the morning before it gets too hot.

Yes, and just like I've seen oryx out doing their thing in 30 mph winds when they're supposed to be "holed-up".

Simply put, oryx in NM do whatever fits their bill at the time.

Not an oryx (I know, crappy picture).
IMG_1125.jpg
Three days hunting b4 seeing any and they were 4.1 miles away, 3.5 miles on the wrong side of the fence, and unmistakable.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom