Austin Halleck and PB's

hook1969

I have a 50 cal Austin & Halleck inline muzzleloader. My boy will be using this ML for Big Bull elk in Utah this fall. So it has always shot powerbelts better than any other slugs. But it's been a few years since it's been used and we decided to experiment with various different sabot type bullets, mostly the Hornady SST and Barnes TMZ. The accuracy at 100 yds was not great so I had him try some powerbelts and it was a huge improvement. So I wanted to switch but I think the accuracy will be more important than making a bad shot with a better slug?I know there are a lot of people that have had bad experiences with Powerbelts, but I think because of how much better the A&H shoots them that will be what we go with....unless there is someone else that has an Austin Halleck muzzleloader they have found a better load for? I am leaning towards the 348 grain aerolites with 2 50 grain pellets. Open to ideas comments?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-19 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]If I ever use a powerbelt on an elk again, it will NOT be the aerolite. It has an extra big hollow point to help it come apart easier! Not what I want for a big animal. If I was going to use one, it would be the 405 gr copper aerotip. I have killed several elk with that bullet.

But you have tried some other good bullets, I would monkey with the amount of powder with those bullets a bit more and see if you can find a more accurate load. Might try 90 or 110 gr of powder. Not familiar with that gun, but if it would shoot BH 209 loose powder, you should try that. I love it and no swabbing between shots! Much easier to try different powder charges than with pellets.

The Barnes would be my first choice if you can find an accurate load. The next bullet on my list would be the 350 gr Federal BOR bullet. It is a lead alloy (unlike the pure soft lead of powerbelt) and should hold up better with an elk. This will be a once in a blue moon hunt for an elk in Utah, so worth trying some things to be sure your bullet doesn't fail you.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

They dont make a 348gr aerolite, its called the aerotip.

I'd suggest the 338gr Platinum or the 348gr aerotip.

My dad used a 300gr aerolite on an elk with 100gr blackhorn209 and that cow dropped on the spot and with a fist size hole in her lungs.

I'd prefer the 338gr platinum however.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Thanks for the advice. Copy Aerolites not good for elk. I may let him use my new CVA accura V2? I've been using BH powder and 300 grain Hornady MAG XTP and it's shooting pretty good! The only problem is I also have a ML deer tag for the Wasatch. I am surprised how much better the one ML shoots with the Pb?s. So maybe I will let him use mine and I will shoot the ole Austin&Halleck.

Fist sized hole in the lungs tells me all I want to know about that bullet. Hit a shoulder with that bullet and it probably won't penetrate well

txhunter58

I always try to get that shot as well. And if you slip the Aerolite bullet thru the lungs and you have one dead elk. But if a 350 bull someday gives me only a quartering to short opportunity, I want a bullet on board that can handle it. Or if there is an Oops from a youngster.

txhunter58

i've killed them with simple round balls to powerbelts, heck last year my dad even got one with a simple 250gr real bullet. Place it right, its going down. Its the yahoos with those centerfires that wound more animals than bow hunters / muzzle loader hunters combined. Pretty bad when you see those centerfire guys knocking an elks antler off. I swear I put it right in the sweet spot!! ::D :D

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

My Austin Halleck shoots 3-50 gr pyrodox pellets and 300 gr Barnes bullet. I've shoot a lot of elk with no problems. This gun has been to Africa twice. Killed Nyala, Waterbuck, Gembucks and many plains game. I took a Cape Buffalo with a 444 gr Black belt lead bullet at 50 yards. Limit your shoot at a big bull to 200 yards thru lungs and you will have a dead bull. I shoot a lot of animals with gun and would use it for anything. Good luck.
My opinion is never use power belt bullets.

Just an update on what we found. It turns out the problem wasn't the other bullets. I think it was a fluke that a couple of the PB's were hitting consistent. Because the next time shooting it was all over the place with any of the bullets we tried. Well we finally figured out the scope wasn't mounted properly. So now its' shooting much better and we have even been using BH 209 because we ran out of the tripple 7 pellets. But it's shooting good with 78 g by weight of BH 209 and 250 g Hornady SST's. Lesson learned don't just trust anyone to mount a scope on your gun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom