Average Joe optics

albubba

I am looking to buy some new bioculars.
Swarovskis would be nice but not on my current budget.
I am looking to spend <$400.
I currently own leupold wind river 10x42.
I want to go to 12x42.
Looking at the Nikon Monarch.
Any help would be great.

My dad and bro has Nikon Monarchs and both like them. Good glass for the price.

I have the Monarch 12x56 and I love them. I thought since those work great Nikon's spotting scope would be good also. Wrong I returned it to Bass Pro shops.

I have the 10x42 Monarchs, great glass for the money. I would not recomend the 12x42s though, the images gets too jumpy and is alot darker in twilight conditions than lower powers.

-DallanC

I have the 8x42 Monarchs and wouldn't trade them for a pair that cost twice as much.

if i was you, i wouldn't go with a 12 power hand held. anything more than an 8 or 10 is really pushing it. if you are looking to spend some money, i'd keep your 10X42. they are a great optic for low light condition and you can hold steady with them. we only use our hand held optics for locating animals, and once spotted we bust out the trusty spotting scope. keep your binoculars and go invest in a good spotting scope and tripod. you'll be glad you did.

My vote goes to bushnell legend ia 10x42 . my wife has a pair and they are great. bino's to

WHEN THE TAILGATE DROPS THE BULLSHIT STOPS

I use the Bushnell Legends 10X42 and to be honest at dusk I couldnt tell that big a difference between my Bushnell and my buddies Leica Geovids 10X42.

The difference was not worth the $1800 more he paid, thats for sure!

Which Nikon spotter did you buy that you were unhappy with.I had done extensive testing comparing the Vortex SkylineED to the Nikon ProStaff and found the Vortex inferior in just about every category.I ended up sending the Vortex back.

I have a pair of Pentax 10x42 and are great . I love them . I'd love some lieca or swaro's but my I too had a bugdet and these Pentax worked out .

I "second" the Nikon Monarchs. I have the 10x40's and they're great for the $. I have the Swarov 15x56 for the LONG stuff and keep the Nikons on my bino-buddys all day long.

Good luck!

Scott G.

The improved (2006) bushnell legend has gotten better reviews than the Monarchs in a couple of publications in the last year.

Um average joe you might want to JUMP on the zeiss offer those are some sweet glass for that money. Or any one else for that matter.

Just my opinion, I disagree with the notion that you should ever buy the best optics you can afford. Simply put if you want to receive the true benefits of using optics then get the best period. If you can't afford to buy the best now, wait and save rather than spend the money on less quality optics. Saving now will enable you to purchase the best that much sooner. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

i have the leupold windriver cascades and i have be thoroughly satisfied with them. they are pretty cheap, about $300 and they work great. when i bought them, i was comparing them with the monarchs, but i like the leupold better. another nice thing about them is that you can get the windriver spotting scope. i have one and i like the fact that they are the same optic more or less, and so switching between the two is nice because you do not have to re adujust your eyes. theres my .02

Happy Hunting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom