Az coyotes

C

codsteraz

I am fairly new to Az. I have lived here about a year or so. I brought my stuff down last weekend to hunt dogs and was wondering if anyone could point me in a general area. I am was wondering if you could hunt out torwards lake pleasant and the white mountains. I haven't bought a proclaimation yet so I am not sure on the season or anything i think I will get one tomorrow. Any advice needed. Don't need a honey hole just general direction. thanks

In Arizona the low desert is full of dogs. I've never been calling out by Lake Pleasant but be sure you are not on the Park Property. Out in the greasewood I'd get some elevation and be sure you have some clear lanes to shoot.

Where did you come from and what kind of country are you used to calling. I live in the White Mountains and there are some coyotes up here. That said, every time I get the chance to head lower I go. The desert has way more bobcats, foxes and coyotes. I do have some predator pages on my website that might help.

Ed, www.swhounds.com

Coyotes can be hunted year round, but Bobcats and fox close, if I remember right, the last day of March and opens again in August. If you go out past the White Tank Mtns, near the C.A.P. canal you will find lots of coyotes.

I came from utah so i am used to hunting sagebrush flats, cedars, kaibab ponderosa in southern utah. I have seen a lot more coyotes in Az than I have ever seen in utah from roads and they are always running across runways at deer valley airport so I thought I might give it a try. I am only a rookie at hunting these wiley animals. I have never killed one actually trying for them and calling them but I have killed them deer, elk, antelope and waterfowl hunting. Thanks for the help I really apreciate it. To me it looks like everywhere in the state would hold em. Its all great looking country.
cody

the truth is I doubt if you could find a place in az that wasn't full of dogs. if I'mm lyin' I'm dyin'. I like to call with my bow around places that don't get called that much, rural housing developments and I do real well. I have called in probably 10 yotes and 1 fox and 6 bobcats in the last 2 months. maybe its me but it seems there a lot of bobcats this year. I just started calling this year and it is a blast! I come home from work and usually go out and call for a set or 2, 2 or 3 times a week. killin' critters seems to help me relax and unwind after a hard day at the office. I live in nogales if you are ever down this way
Tom

I just returned from a combined javelina/yote hunt on the San Carlos Apache reservation near Globe. I tagged my pig about fifteen minutes into the first day of the hunt and spent the rest of the trip calling dogs. Being a non resident of AZ, this was the cheapest way I could hunt yotes ($35), and I ended up getting two. I know you are a resident, but I have never seen so many yotes in such a short time. Overall it was one of the best trips I have ever been on. A weekend long mountain lion tag runs you $20 bucks, although I didn't see any sign, much less a cat.

I went and sighted the ol 250 in today and I'm ready to go. I went javelina hunting on san carlos too and thats what gave me an idea to go. plus all of them that I have seen just in my truck. how many did you get in san carlos?

I shot two (one on the drive out to my camp), and hit a third (it must have been in the ear or just nicked him beacuse it was a light blood trail, then when he stopped and shook, blood sprayed all over the snow.) Yes, I said snow, it snowed one of the days I was out and the dogs were really active then.

Anybody know a good sporting goods store in Scottsdale or North Phoenix with a good hunting department with decent prices. That is one of the few things I miss about utah there is good hunting stores everywhere.

Codsteraz, What part of town are you in? I live at 19th Ave and Beardsley. The Outdoorsman is located at about 22nd street and Bell Rd. If you need archery stuff, the Outdoorsman shipped all of theirs out of that store, so the closest is Wildwest Archery at 19th ave. and Bell.

hey maniac! I live on scottsdale rd and just north of bell. I will try the sportsman today. Do they have good archery shoots and Ben Avery? I seen that they have an archery course.

They usually have 3D shoots on Sundays at ben Avery. I think there is a shoot schedule on the wall of Wild West.

There are a couple pretty good places a little further south of you in Mesa. I usually get everything at Bear Mt. or at AZ Sportsman. They are both off of Stapley and Southern. And Usery Pass has a lot of Archery shoots on Sunday mornings. Usery pass is off of Ellsworth and McDowell. Welcome to the area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom