AZ deer hunt coming up

kylesredapple

So I'm currently packing to head down toward Tucson for deer and quail. I have run into a small quandary and was hoping for some well intentioned advice on the deer part. When I put in for the hunt I kinda thought I was timing the weather to make a mid 70's temperature for highs during the day. Well, its looking like 85 plus for the week I'm going to be there. I'm a little disappointed for a couple of reasons but the biggest is obviously a reduction in daytime movement. So if anyone is willing to weigh in on some advanced strategies I would appreciate it. I'm thinking to be in a little higher elevations with thicker cover and possible closer to water sources? Am I thinking straight?

Not sure on your unit, but alot of the units down by Tucson have more mule deer in the lower elevations, all the way down to the desert floor, than the upper elevations. Get up on hills that you can see alot of country and be glassing at first daylight until it gets hot and all evening. During the day with it being that hot makes it tough to do alot else unless you want to rambo style it and hike all over creation and hope to spot something bedded and jump something and hope it stops:)

Not sure on your unit, but alot of the units down by Tucson have more mule deer in the lower elevations, all the way down to the desert floor, than the upper elevations. Get up on hills that you can see alot of country and be glassing at first daylight until it gets hot and all evening. During the day with it being that hot makes it tough to do alot else unless you want to rambo style it and hike all over creation and hope to spot something bedded and jump something and hope it stops:)
I agree. Get on good hill tops & let your eyes/ glass do the work for you. Hiking in that weather is very tough & counter productive. Good luck ?!!!
Jerry Gold- Windsor,Co - I hunted those deer a number times- very tough to see. ??

My experience is that when it is extraordinarily hot, it can influence the deer movement a bit. That being said, the deer down here are used to hot days. 85 degrees is really not THAT hot, and the deer will still get up and move around a bit (sometimes even go to water). In fact, when it's a little extra warm it can be a positive because it will sometimes cause the deer to get up and relocate to find some shade.

I was on an early coues hunt 3 weeks ago, and we saw plenty of deer during the day. Also seemed that by 2:30-3PM, they were up and about moving around for their evening feeding/watering.

Good luck!

My experience is that when it is extraordinarily hot, it can influence the deer movement a bit. That being said, the deer down here are used to hot days. 85 degrees is really not THAT hot, and the deer will still get up and move around a bit (sometimes even go to water). In fact, when it's a little extra warm it can be a positive because it will sometimes cause the deer to get up and relocate to find some shade.

I was on an early coues hunt 3 weeks ago, and we saw plenty of deer during the day. Also seemed that by 2:30-3PM, they were up and about moving around for their evening feeding/watering.

Good luck!
thank you for this. I appreciate your perspective

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom