AZ Desert Buck? whats the guess?

M

maddglasser

I know some good friends aren't going to like this.... But I had to! South of the ditch and North of the border....man I love saying that!

8679pict0024.jpg

2231pict0025.jpg

Pretty good buck for the crappy ole desert!

www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-10 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]NIIIIIIIIICCCCCCE. Hey... I know that tree... the tallest one in the back!!! Right on.

Don't feed me sh!t then try to convince me it tastes good.

I'll stick with what I said the other day Travis. He's a smoker for sure. I'd love to tip over a buck like that!

Nice buck! I can just hope I see a buck even close to that in my late Archery hunt in the desert.

He loves his country best who strives to make it best. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

200+ gross. Just for the record I had a friend ask me if I knew anything about that tank.
What tank? I never saw it before :)

Well, i guess those new cams paid off. When you headed out of town again??

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 12:43PM (MST)[p]Leavin tues. for 3 back to back muzzy hunts in NM. Troy and the guys are going to keep up all the scouting, I think we have it covered!

Look close guys. He is a long main beamed buck. He has triple forked brows on his left. His left has 10 scorable points and the right has 6 scorable points. I know the angle is hard. I will try to get more up. One thing is for sure, we WILL get a tape on him!:D

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]What is CWT? This is my pic, I dont know where they would have gotten it, I only posted here.

A buddy of mine said he saw it on coueswhitetail.com but i never could find it on there. Maddglassser what do you think it scores?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 05:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 05:02?PM (MST)

I couldn't find it either. Would be interresting to know if it was though.

Man.... I really don't know yet. Sometimes I get high 190's then a little over 200 and then low 190's. I really don't know, but, score on a deer like this is really an injustice. You just kill them and measure them later
I think his mains are 26 and 28 brows are 4. I think his main frame spread is 26.5-27.5. Outside I think will be 31-32. His mass is great. And there is a lot of cool on this buck. Its not often we get to see a true nontyp buck in the desert.

Keep in mind though, I have seen him in person twice now. He is BIG. I would be more surprised if he was under 190 than over 200. My guess is 198-203. Just my guess!

Score is only for ball games. He is big no matter the score. Forget score on most of the good bucks you see.....doesn't matter.....if they look big, then they just might be, no matter where they reside & what a number might tell you.

By the way, why hasn't Chompy given his opinion??

Madd....

You know I don't know how to figure score.....too many numbers to add. Chompy always had a formula, that's why I asked.

Here is dumb math....wide = good! Tall = good! Heavy = good! Two goods outa three = great!

No numbers to that formula......nice deer, best of luck to all your hunts!!

ASB do I know you? My formula isn't very good with that many points, but I definatly wouldn't argue with travis's numbers that's one heck of a deer I'm sure one of their clients is going to be pretty happy with that one, he's a shooter with any tag in the state.

That is a great score guess Ken!! Sometimes score isn't important, the animal always is!

Thanks for the pictures Travis. I like the second one, he just poses for the camera. Is the date right on the picture? are they still in velvet there? Thanks for the post, wish it was my year to hunt with you...keep up the good work and good luck on your hunts.

Greg

Thanks for luck wishes guys. The date on the pic is right. These bucks will start stripping their velvet within a week or so. It would be interresting to see what this would do if he made it 7 years old. We are going to do what we can to make sure he dosen't! I will add photo's when I get them and then we he is down I will give you all the measurements. Good luck to all of you guy's.

Travis:

Too small of a buck for you boys to hunt.....you have a reputation to keep.....I think some crazy CA bowhunter should sign up and take him off your hands to save you any embarrassment. :)

Seriously, that's a stud of a desert buck.......awesome trail photos. Hope you boys get a good encounter with him!

BOHNTR )))---------->

I'm going to say 185 until I see other pics if you post them. Very nice buck no matter what he scores.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 10:39PM (MST)[p]I have the main frame 178"-181". The super long main beams (around 28"),10"-12" G-4's. Really decent G-2's (13"14"),monster brows (4.5"-5"), inside spread of 24", and good mass. But I have almost 20" of trash total. That is how I am getting him as big as I am. Look at the circles and add the trash. What do you guys get on the trash alone?

Roy, LMAO, sorry buddy, you have plenty of them!!!

4288paint.jpg

6586paint_2.jpg

Madglasser;

If these guys saw the 2 bucks, you aren't showing anybody,

they would come to your house , and shoot your poorch light out.

Steve

Yeah, I'm sure they would Steve, LOL! I'm headed to NM 2mro. I will get Troy to put some new pics up when I am gone.
Take care guy's and I will get tape on him ASAP!!

Score is only a small part of a BIG deer. It's the thrill of first finding him, then learning him. Actually holding him , and then putting a tape on him. The last is optional!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 00:31AM (MST)[p]Good luck in NM pard. Thx for the pics. Nice job photoshopping the rope around his leg out of the pic... lol. Talk to you soon. Sent you a PM.

Maddglasser,

Im in the early stages of scoring and trying to learn all the right ways to score. Looking at your circles on the left the longest kicker circled looks like the G-3 to me. When you have that much coming off one side what do you use to figure out what exactly is the main frame?

That buck has everything anyone could look for in a deer!

That longest upright point that is circled is between the G-2 and G-4 split. If you zoom in you will see the G-2 G-3 split behind that.

The main frame I got was figuring (aka guessing) the right side, that one is easy. Then adding left side, MB, brow etc.. Then I gave him 24" inside of MB's. Trying to figure the G-2 G-3 split is tough in these pics I know. But if you look his G-2 and G-3 match his G-4 on each side. That is how I was getting my main frame on him.

This is only a 3 year old deer, The backs are not very good but with all of the extra's I say 175 at the most

John

Yeah that buck kind of reminds me of the 6' tall 5th grader. I'd still let the air out of him if given the chance. I feel comfortable saying he's prolly closer to 4 years old due to my lack of experience in observing dead bucks we've taken in the past. As far as score goes who the hell cares! How often does one find a buck like that in the desert.

It's kind of funny how the judging trends go.

It used to be " four point or tag soup" a 160 buck or 180 buck.. It doesn't matter he's a four point buck.

Then it went to "I aint settling for less than 30 inches " It don't matter if he's a crab forked 3x4 with 22" main beams... He's 30" wide!!

As time went on the rule of thumb for a big buck was "180 or better" Who care's if he's only a main frame 3x3 with trash man that buck right there scores 180" it don't matter how he got there.

And now it's " He's a main frame this and with the trash he's that" "This buck is a main frame 210" buck with 40" of trash." Big frickin' deal if he's only a 210 typical with trash... He's a big buck period. Would anybody expect anything smaller as a typical?

So it's my guess this particular buck is stuck mid 90's era
"180 or better"
But as to some folks who keep up with the trends, this only a 180" buck with some extra points.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 05:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 05:00?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 04:58?PM (MST)

Wow, that one kinda shocks me John. I do agree he is young. I'd say 4.5, along with chase. I feel the score is much better. Really dosen't matter till we kill him, but here is is my guess. Guy's please correct me, as I know how MM goes, LOL, if you feel something is wrong

------R -------L
MB---27 -- 28
G-1---4 -- 4
G-2--10 -- 10
G-3-- 6 -- 4
G-4--13 -- 11

M-1---6 -- 6
M-2---5 -- 5.5
M-3---4 -- 4
M-4---4 -- 4.5

E-1---2 -- 1
E-2---0 -- 1
E-3---0 -- 2
E-4---0 -- 3
E-5---0 -- 8

SP credit 23

Total= 196"

Sure seems fair to me. Where am I wrong? Just a guess! We will know come November

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-10 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]Well if there is anyone out there in the desert that can put him on the ground, its maddglasser. I don't know a hunter that wouldn't be proud to change that bucks zip code.

Yet another testament to the fact that we have BIG bucks down here, and it takes someone who really knows their poop to hunt them.

Oh and P.S..... I'm not one of them.

"Don't feed me sh!t then try to convince me it tastes good."

I agree with your calculations maddglasser as i stated earlier. Regardless of how BIG he tapes out at he is still a non typical desert buck which are hard to come by.

His right side back fork is not very deep so I think he loses a lot of inches there. I love the trash and I would love to put an arrow in him come Dec or Jan. As far as the age compared to some of the other desert deer that I have looked at it has a really thin neck and not much under the chin is why I think it is a younger deer.

I can't wait until Dec and Jan.. But to be honet this is the buck I am looking for!!

MDGC0188.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 08:47PM (MST)[p]
Yes he is big enough!! Thats what matters. Score... Not 185+.
Short 23" mains and 5" G-4's and no brow tines will keep this buck at the mid 170's, mayde 180" outside.This buck looks very impressive....he is! But when you break him down, the bone is just not there. Backs are good, 15" G-2's and 8" G-3's.
my numbers on him:
----L-------R
MB--23------23
G-1--0-------0
G-2-16------16
G-3-10------10
G-4--6-------6

M-1--5-------5
M-2--5-------5
M-3--4-------4
m-4--4-------4

sp------27

Total=---173

Sometimes the score is not what the view is. I have an archery buck very close to him. I am not rying to put this buck down, I would shoot him the very first day of Jan, but, the score is less than how he looks. I'm just being honest. If my measurement guesses are off, tell me.

I wish I could kill that buck. I've heard of several other guy's who've claimed to have shot that buck last archery season but never recovered. He's a local legend for sure.

I put that buck in the mid 80's era. "Who care's about tine length and mass he's 32+ inches wide" besides brow tines aint got nothing to do with width right?

Score don't matter on this buck

Guys;

The latest buck pictured is a fantastic buck, for any where, but especially in the desert country.

His overall look is breathtaking, and the flaring g-4s , I think are what gives him the width.

Forget wheather he is 170 or 210 .

If I still hunted, I would shoot that buck, if I was good enough, the first 5 seconds, after I saw him, opening day.

Unless you own the Governers tag, 99% of any body reading this post, would do the same thing. Rifle, Muzzy, or Archery or even a greyhound, with a sharp stick taped to his collar.

Just my unwanted 2 cents worth.

Steve Cheuvront

Travis, I have this buck a little wider and a little longer than you do. In this picture he is wide compared to his ears.

Troy, I have heard the same rumors but I will head out in a few weeks to see if I can track him down again. I will let you 2 know when I head out there.

Steve, I could not agree more, I can not wait to head back to the desert..

John

Good luck John. I sure hope he's alive and you connect with him. It would be a waste if he were laying dead some where.

I think Trav's inside spread is pretty close. I think he was a little long on some the tine lengths though. I came up with 15" on the G-2's and 8" on the G-3. I came up with 167 for a total score. Not having brow tines doesn't help score much.

But he's still a first day shooter for me and I would definitely put him my wall.

Troy, Speaking of Legends of the Desert, I hope this one made it through the winter. I think he is a little bigger than the other one I posted before. Not as wide but this one is nice and tall..

MDGC1122.jpg

Now that buck is definatly 185+ He's a quite a bit bigger than the wide buck score wise. I think both have the same inside spread but this guy has tine length and double brows on his right side.

If you get tired of hunting them John let me know. I don't want to intrude on your space but when you are done let me know.

Either one is a dandy buck. There are a couple more spots in that same general area that I think you'll like. I can point you in the direction if you want.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom