AZ Desert Sheep Help-need pics & scores

Bruinbrewin

Looking to see if anyone has some Desert ram pics that they could share with good estimates of scores so i might get a better idea of what a 150 or a 160 class ram looks like. I know I have a tough task ahead even getting a shot at a ram but i would like to have a good idea of certain features that would lead me to believe I am looking at a 150 class ram or a 160 class. I am going with a goal of 160 since there is a good chance I will not even get a shot in 13 B south so I hope that is a realistic goal. But I hope someone has some photos or can explain physical characteristics of the horns size, spacing between horn bases, base size dia, head size or ear size to help judge horn size, what alignments do you use to determine full or 3/4..... any help or advice or reading suggestion on where I can better prepare myself would be greatly appreciated. I know I will be lucky to get a ram and would like to have a good idea if I am looking at the largest size I could expect for the area. I'm getting too old to wait for a trophy hunt so I put in for the tough one. If you know anyone that has hunted this unit before please send them my way. I would like to get some general area info, camping spots, water, temps, do I need to consider a backpack hunt with a base camp for best chance of success. The most spend I have would be to possibly hire a packer to get me back in for a base camp setup if a back country hunt is the only way to get close to the sheep. Thanks in advance for any info you could share about the area and type of hunt.
THX
BB

BB,
Congrats on drawing the tag! You should check out the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, and perhaps join. Their website is: http://www.adbss.org/

That website also has the harvest data fom 2005-2008. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but 160 (or 150 for that matter) should even be on your radar. You just need to find a ram (any ram 5+ years or older), and shoot him. It looks to be that a guy cannot be picky in selecting a ram. From 2005 through 2008 there were 48 hunter days used to kill ONE 4 yr old, 113 point ram.

This looks like the type of hunt where it may pay to find a good outfitter that knows the unit, and go guided.

Best of luck to you this fall! I hope you beat the odds and get a good ram!

print this article and read it....
https://www.boone-crockett.org/community/pdf/FC_2003winter_fieldjudging.pdf

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Thanks guys, I didn't see much info on the ADBSS page but I will give them a call to see if they have any info and if they have any events coming up this summer or fall. A membership wouldn't hurt me either as it is for a great cause and probably why I have a tag in the first place.
D13er, thanks a bunch for this, I think this will help me a great deal. I've got to dig through some of my photos that have been sent to me in the past as I know I have some friends with harvest pictures and known scores. I'm not looking to get older faster but I sure wish the end of the year was closer Thanks again for the info gents!
THX
BB

You really should call Don Martin about this hunt. He has a very reputable record for the northern sheep in AZ. It would be foolish not to.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

I would call Clay Bundy. He kills some big deer but also finds some nice sheep in the process. His cell # is 435-680-2991 and his website is azstriphunting.com

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I have some great information that will give me a hand up on getting started. I feel blessed for drawing the tag and also for the friends I have made both on and away from this site. It is incredible how once you mention that you drew to someone, they all have contact with someone that may be able to help. Every one of my friends with any sources of information have been calling anyone they know for any tidbit of info. I wondered if I was nuts for risking my 16 points for this hunt but I have no regrets whatsoever as I determined I would rather be sheep hunting in a lesser unit than never sheep hunting at all. I even have someone that I met only a couple of times offer to fly me over the area any time I want, to get familiar with the lay of the land and any roads for access planning. Now I have to say, how awesome is that! So it seems my lucky streak has not ended. I hope it continues throughout the end of the year for a fun and safe hunt and health stays good. A fun hunt and perhaps meeting some new friends will be the true goal of the hunt and if I do by some small chance happen to score then I will truly know that someone from above has smiled on me this year.
P.S. I bought a couple of lotto and Powerball tickets just in case I'm on fire. I also bought one for the cute checkout girl at the gas station so she can buy me a new truck in case I could help her win! I will do my best to take plenty of pictures and keep you all informed but I do not have a lot of time available for scouting as I want to save my vacation for the actual hunt but I should have 3 weeks to scour the mountains.
THX
BB

Bruinbrewin

I sent you a PM. I have some pix and scores to email to you if you care to respond.

Zeke

bruinbrewin
I don't know what I'm doing with all this technology stuff. I guess I don't know how to send and receive pm's.
Just regular email me at [email protected] and I'll have your email so I can send desert ram pix.
Sorry for the run-around.

BTW; We just found a great Mtn Goat today! My friend has a tag and the hunt opens in 5 weeks! Very cool.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom