AZ Elk/Antelope Draw & Cabelas

mike111

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]Anybody have info on the Cabelas application mistake for the elk/antelope draw in Arizona? Who here applied through Cabelas?

There's rumors going around that UPS delivered 600 or as many as 40,000 applications two hours late on the deadline day. Those applications will be invalide (tossed) most likely for the elk/antelope draw. With all the members on MM.com I'm thinking someone may have more information on this situation...Especially Non-Res because they will most likely be affected by this.

Some how I doubt UPS had 40,000 elk/antelope applications in there possession on one truck in one day. Even 600 seems to be too many. Keep us updated.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Basically the Cabelas TAG program sent about 600 applications to wrong address and once they found out about it the resent to the right address and but it was received after the 7:00 pm deadline. The last I heard AZ was still considering allowing those apps to be processed. I don't think they should but this is AZ that we are talking about and that is a lot of money sitting there for AZ to have.

John

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-08 AT 01:53PM (MST)[p]What a crock. AZ should reject all the applications and that should be a lesson to Cabela's and those who used their service. I'm sick of AZ bowing down to people who screw up. Every year they had the internet they extended the deadline for people who waited till the last minute and crashed the system. Do what CO does and make a disclaimer saying if you wait and the system crashes too bad. People need to get off their asses and get it done.

I understand some need to use systems like Cabela's, but that is a chance you take. They should be held responsible, not G&F. If Cabela's screwed up, tough. They had the same info on where to send everything just like everybody else.

It's Bush's fault!!!

My odds are looking better by the minute if this is the truth.
Late is Late in my book reject all of them.
Its not my fault do your own applications so you dont have to worry about this happening to you.

Question: What do OJ Simpson and Cabelas have in common?

Answer: In America the rich and famous always get there way.

Even though I don't agree, I'll bet Cabelas gets a high power attorney to get there apps accepted. That's the American way!

Didn't Cabelas Tags screw up some apps last year? I think they remitted the wrong fee or something... anyone remember this? Was it CO?

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

It will be interesting to find out exactly how many there were. Most people dont realize that a ton of in state residents use that service because of no "up front" fees. I am sure they have more than 600. But I also do not see them processing them due to lawsuits from residents. If I brought mine in 2 hours late what do you think they tell me? It is just like any other business you choose the wrong company to do business with you have the chance of getting burned.

I just got off the phone with AZ G&F according to customer services it is a done deal; They have rejected all apps from Cabela's that were delivered late.

A post over on the elk forum says Cabelas is now trying to go to court over it.

It's Bush's fault!!!

when in the heck was the last year that the AZ draw went smoothly!?! you kinda gotta expect something like to happen. i just hope we find out by the end of april.

If Arizona did reject the Cabelas apps that were late, it seems to me that the draw is going smooth. AZ isn't letting Cabelas problem turn into everyone else's problem.

Can you imagine some totallly PO'ed hunter now suing Cabelas if their mistake dropped him out of the maximum points pool? I know that if I got dropped from max deer points down to the next group due to somebody's mistake, there would be hell for someone to pay, that's for sure.

If Cabela's was smart and had some sort of disclaimer, they wont have to worry about a lawsuit. But if G&F accepts the applications, they will then have to re-open the application period to everybody else who was "late." Otherwise, joe blow hunter could use the same arguement Cabela's did. So much for an early draw if that happens.

The last time the draw ran smoothly was before there were internet applications and everything was with paper. No
b!tching and if you f'd up you f'd up, too bad.

It's Bush's fault!!!

from what i have heard, AZGFD did reject all the cabelas TAGS apps. GREAT!!!! it was posted on the ELK forum that cabelas is trying to get a court order to delay the drawing so a judge can decide. not so great.

if you want something done right do it yourself, a lesson some learned the hard way.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-08 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]The only fair way to handle the situation is to reject the applications. Every year people are rejected because they got tied up in traffic etc. The new address was on the 2008 regs so Cabela's is at fault. They will get to keep their bonus points. The rules are the rules and since they reject residents for getting there late this shouldn't be any different. Besides that if they would have requested early am delivery on the package it wouldn't have been an issue. The integrity of the system must stay intact. I'm sorry if any on here were effected but that's a chance you take when you delegate things.

Also, why would a service like Cabelas wait until the deadline day to turn all these in? Those who get rejected will get hit with a double whammy, not only will they miss out on getting a point, but don't you lose your loyalty point if you miss a year?

It's Bush's fault!!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-08 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]Should be interesting to see if Cabela's prevails. I sure as hell would hope not, but lets face it, O.J. is still playing golf with his pals, so anything is possible.

I have done my apps since I started this process in 1995. Just for fun, I paid Cabela's their $5 to get their TAGS catalog last year. Thought they might have some info I could use. NOT!

If you look at the back cover, it is the "Who's Who" of the hunting world bragging about Cabela's TAGS services. The problem with doing work for the "Who's Who" crowd is that when you fugg up, you get the pleasure of responding to depositions from attorneys hired by the "Who's Who" crowd.

Bet ya someone in Kearney, NE is squirming in their seat as I write this.

And yes, these applicants will go back a step, as not only will they lose their point for this year, but they will lose their loyalty point, which will take them another five years to gain back.

As Grampa said, "If you want it done right, do it yourself."

No sympathy from me, even though one of my friends uses their service and is trying to find out if he was in the package that didn't get delivered on time. Bummer dude!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I agree, these Cabelas applications should be tossed. I don't see how Cabelas could win a court battle over this issue. Rules are rules and on the Regulations the DEADLINE DATE is stated very clear. Reject the apps, don't award a loyalty point, and get on with the draw. There's no reason or way Cabelas should have the opportunity to extend the draw...

For what it's worth the information I've heard is that ALL of the people that used Cabelas to apply for AZ Elk and Antelope were in the box.

Also the legal leverage they are trying to use is that in the past AZ G&F has extended the deadline for applications. In some legal way this shows that AZ G&F has set a "precidence" and made exceptions in the past. Now Cabelas is claiming that if they've made exceptions in the past then why can't they do it again?

I think most of us are smart enough to realize that in the past extensions to the deadline were because the AZ G&F or one of it's subcontractors dropped the ball. In this case Cabelas/UPS dropped the ball.

I just hope it doesn't delay our draw results!

They don't send me the Big book for nothing. I have purchased maybe $30000 worth of product from them and it will end right here if they prevail in this lawsuit. I will never spend another nickel there. I am taking back $450 worth of raingear tomorrow just because they are trying a lawsuit.

You also need to remember the only times there has been extended deadlines is when you apply online. It was extended because of technical difficulties, not stupidity. There has never been a paper only application extension that I remember. If they are "in the box" then why is there a need to go to court?

It's Bush's fault!!!

I don't blame Cabelas for trying to go to the aid of their customers. But I do blame them for attempting to stop the process when it was clearly their mistake and they were in violation of the deadline if that's the case. Sometimes in life when you screwup you have to take your lumps and move on. They tried and AZ said no so it's time to move on. They wouldn't hold up the process for any of us on here that were late, and these guys are no different. The liability for the rejection lies squarely on Cabela's shoulders it's their service not the state of Arizona's and that's exactly where their customers need to get their pound of flesh. If they think they're going to walk in there and tell AZ how they are going to change the process to accomodate them in this matter I can sense the number of nonresident tags being reconsidered again. You don't tell the state how to handle their drawings especially when it's your screwup that caused the issue by missing the published deadline.

Yep, they are going to get a hearing. Be interesting to see what our Commission does!

I guarantee you if that you or I did the same thing, I doubt that we would be getting a special telephonic Commission meeting.

What has been posted is true. Not only do they loose the bonus point for this year and IF they were in the max bonus point pool (doubtful for elk and antelope though--those numbers aren't there) they will loose that Loyalty bonus point too.

So you see why they are pushing this as far as they can. Obviously I don't use the service, so I don't know what the "fine print" says, but I got to believe that some Cabela's guys in this program are squirming big time (job security?), cause most of the folks using this service probably got a little "juice" too!

We'll see..

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-08 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-08 AT 05:30?PM (MST)

I bet they let all these late applicants back in.If they do lets get a donation started to buy the best damn laywer in the nation and get this deal figured out the honest correct way.
I will be pizzed if they let them back in the game. If the applications were late its just to bad.Anything that improves the odds of those who do the research sending early and did them correct should be awarded.We did not make up the law so why change the rules now?
If they do get back in what if I am late next year do you think they will let me back in?NOT EVEN A CHANCE.
Lets hear who thinks they will let them back in the game.
I think they will let them back in to tell you the truth but sure hope they dont.

So Scremin,

What will be your reaction if AZG&F allows these late apps?

I am asking after the hard time you gave me in a previous thread. You seemed to be of the opinion that AZG&F is doing a great job and there is no need for online applications. Just curious.

I understand all the difficulties of running a drawing. Why would they give them a hearing?

My opinion is these late apps should be out of the question.

I highly suggest that you send them an email to directorsoffice @azgfd.gov and tell them what you think.

Does anyone have true numbers of how many were late getting in?
11 points might be looking good on odds if its as many as I was reading about.I have read where all applicants that used Cabelas service were LATE.
11 points will be looking alot better to draw my tag this year if they dont let them back in.
If they do not let them in I will swing by the Lehi Cabelas and be sure to thank them if I draw on my way down to The big elk State this year.HA

If I was responsible for 600 applications (or whatever the number is), in order to sleep at night, I would hand deliver them to the proper destination. At least a few days early!

Shame on Cabelas!

Eel

I wouldn't want to be the UPS rep. for Cabelas!

I would think they were depending on the service to get it there on time?

It does not affect me at all, but Arizona is setting their self up for trouble if they let those late ones in. If they do that they must also allow EVERYONE else to put in late from here on out.

I know it sucks for Cabela's, but those are the lumps. Maybe Arizona could allow me to apply for a point for every year I missed to get me in max?

Figure $151.50 per license and $7.50 for an elk and antelope application, 600 applications is pretty close to $100K in the AZGFD coffers if everyone applied for both species, and $200K if most were single for providing nothing. Probabaly somewhere in he middle at $150K. Think they want them out? That is why bulk has its privliges.

I think most all will buy the license anyway. Many probably already bought the license.

If they didn't, they will for the deer draw.

Yes, some will not, but I think your number is overstated.

Cabelas has lots of reasons to make sure there people are included

$50.00 per elk app

$50.00 per Antelope app

If it was only 600 thats 60K if it was more you do the math.....

It will never happen to me. When things are important to me I do them myself. If you want to use a service this is one of the risks you take.

The bottom line is there is a deadline for a reason.
If I screw up my application or am late that would be my fault and Justin when you have been applying as long as alot of us have maybe including yourself you need all the help you can get with odds and would hope that many applicants do not read the regs or get in late thats just the way it is.I feel bad for those that used the Cabelas service this year.
NOT
[I hope one day the same happens to you] If you say this about us why would you feel bad about them?It could happen to anyone but if and when it does they sure would not let you back in no matter what.THATS A FACT...But when the numbers are this high watch they will let them back in and its not fair to the rest of us that applied correct and made the deadline and sent the apps to the correct address.People make mistakes daily but this is serious business look for many upset applicants if they do let this slide.Its bad for some and very good for some there is two ways to look at it.

huntinco,

I always respectfully consider your opinion. I just disagree this time my friend. Rules are rules and I truly believe that no one is above them. If I failed to meet the deadline I would expect to be rejected. This draw game is cut throat and the demand is high. I honestly think when rules are spelled out in detail in black and white it needs to be followed.

I hope this never happens to anyone with the time and money involved. If applying and hunting is a priority, then I doubt it will ever happen to those people. JMHO.

>I can't believe you guys think
>that AZ should reject these
>guys! I hope one day
>the same happens to you.
>
>
>

Justin:

This did happen to me the first year I applied in AZ. My uncle failed to add the $1.50 per application fee. That was a long time ago. We got rejected before the draw even took place, for failure to provide full payment. We offered to the pay the $1.50 each. No dice. They told us no exceptions.

So yes, I will be really pissed if they make an exception for a paid professional application service who knows the rules and is getting paid by clients to deliver a service, but this same gov't agency couldn't make a $3.00 exception for two guys who are not paid application professionals. I took my lumps, and I expect them to do likewise.

And yes, I now do our apps, and my uncle holds me responsible.

I find it interesting that Cabela's booking service promotes hunts that are provided by some of your close outfitting associates, and possibly even some of your hunts, and you would come here and publicly make this comment. I would probably feel the same as you do, if I was in your shoes, but I doubt I would publicly put myself out there for criticism, as you have by making this post.

To each their own.

Happy Hunting to you and your clients!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

If I missed the UT,CO,NM deadlines by 2 hours or 2 days, should they still let me in? What do you think Justin? If they let the Cabelas apps in, they will have to open it again to all...Give us your thoughts if this happened in your state..

Justin so just when do you think they should let them in? How much of an impact do you think them allowing this will have on future draws for late applicants? If you lost your tag and had to wait another 3 years to get a tag as a result would you think that is fair becuase that's exactly what you are asking some to do here. Sorry Justin but you're way off base here! Do you get business from Cabelas?

Ask USO how clients feel about their lawsuit against AZ. It didn't help them and it ain't going to help you.
I think surely you are kidding about this idea.
cold dead hands

Hopefully AZ G&F is holding the hearing strictly as a formality and simply allowing Cabelas to make a formal pitch.

As of right now I am not aware of any legal action being filed by Cabelas, but very likley if there request is deny'd at the formal hearing.

For those of you that are against allowing these applications the best way to voice your opinion is to go onto the AZ G&F website and send email to the commission. You can also attend the meeting on Friday and speak your opinion there as well.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that Mr. Richins does NOT guide in Arizona!

If you look at his website, he does hunts on private ranches in Wyoming and Utah.

Therefore, I suspect a lot of his clients might just be in the Cabelas circle.

That being said, he does have a right to his opinion, but I and lots of other folks don't agree with it.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it in some type of litigation, either way it goes!

I missed a Utah draw by 15 minutes and the response was "Too bad"

Well, that's the way it goes.

We all got to play for by the rules.

Don Martin

If our commission is forced into a position of compromise(I'm not sure they will be) I think they'll let them purchase their bonus point but lose their loyalty point and NOT let them participate in this years draw for Elk and antelope. If done in this manner it won't effect this years draw and they will be back in the game next year just not on equal footing with those that played by the rules. I honestly think our commission will do the right thing to protect those that played by the rules on this. But look for stronger language in the regs next year stating the deadline is the deadline and it's your responsibility to get your application there on time tag service or not!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-08 AT 05:36AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-08 AT 05:35?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-08 AT 05:32?AM (MST)

>I can't believe you guys think
>that AZ should reject these
>guys! I hope one day
>the same happens to you.
>
>
>
>
>Justin Richins
>R&K Hunting Company Inc.
>www.thehuntingcompany.com

It has happened to me, and guess what, I lost a point and my loyalty point. If AZ takes these applications they will have a lawsuit, mine. I was rejected, because my application partner put his hunting license number from the year before on the application. This was the first year of the loyalty point system. I called them and wrote a letter with a LEGIT point, and that point was about the loyalty point only. In the regs it said to get the point you had to apply for 5 years. It only said APPLY, not apply without any errors, but just apply. Besides, AZ took my money, and also would not refund my money for the hunting license to get the points. Bottom line is they told me no because rules are rules. If they say yes to cabelas, I will file my own lawsuit to set them straight for giving special consideration to Cabelas. Rules are rules, no matter who you are.
Actually i will not have to file a lawsuit, Bigfin is already on it!! eMAIL BIGFIN if you want to be a plantiff

I e-mailed the Commission and urged them to reject the late applications and follow the rules they set. I will be watching Cabelas response to this to see if I will continue to be a loyal customer or spend my money elsewhere.

.........."applicants who used a service, approved by the State, have a right to expect that service provider to comply with the rules. If the applications were not delivered on time, due to no fault of the service provider, the applications in question must be considered"......

That from a call to an anonymous friend in AZ govt. He is fairly sure that Az will "protect their wallet" first and foremost.

He agrees it is a BS call, but it is the Government,don't you know.

If it is true that they were originally sent to the old address when the new address is on the applications then that is totally the fault of the service provider. Good to know what they are basing their appeal on. Thanks.

AZ will not lose money by rejecting the applications, here is why and I hope you that go to the meeting will bring this forward.
In all other cases of when an application may be rejected they will still cash your check and charge you for the license since the license purchase is not subject to a deadline.
When i was rejected they did not, and would not refund my license fee. Basicly AZ took my money and ran and gave me nothing in return. Given that, why shouldn't AZ still sell everyone a license that applied with cabelas? AZ has a no refund policy on hunting licenses.
Also, since AZ rejected the apps already until now, they haven't cashed the tag fee money. Even if they allowed them in after the hearing Friday, that amount of time to collect interest on the tag fee money will only be a few weeks. They will still sell out every tag with the applicants they have.

Schmalts, if Arizona were to take the applications including the 151.50 lic, 7.50 etc for these 600 apps they wouldn't lose money like you said...but I think they are planning on throwing the apps out all together. That means they won't be getting any of the license fees or 7.50 from any of them. These apps will most likely be treated as if they never arrived at the office which means no money for AZGFD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom