AZ mule deer rut?

S

shedhunter2

Any one seeing any good rut activity yet?? Only a few more days till archery opens....

Reports I'm getting here in northwest Arizona is that the bucks are off by themselves. Don't know if it's the warm weather we've been having that is goofing things up.
We're going out in the morning to start scouting for a Juniors-Only muzzleloader hunt I'll be helping on in 16A, so I'll let you know what I see.
My lion hunting buddy has been in the Hualapai Mtns. and he said lots of deer, no bucks though. Weird, isn't it? (he did get a lion however)
On our recently completed sheep hunt in 15C South, where we saw as many mulie bucks as we did rams....three out fo the five bucks we saw were with a doe or two. Two bucks, small forkies, were alone..
I had a buddy who was varmint hunting in Unit 10 last weekend, said he saw nine does, but no bucks....
That's it from here.
Don Martin

This might be a stupid question but why do your states let you hunt mule deer during the rut? Also, does the meat taste any different then a non rutting buck?

In oregon our season ends in mid-October.. just curious.

There is an Archery Only Late deer season here in AZ. It is not opened State wide though, only ina few areas. Depending who you talk to most people think the areas that are open for this hunt are NOT the prime locations for AZ.

Hawk Oregon lets you hunt the blacktais in the rut with a bow every year man. Or front stuffer for the Big mulies and The metolious Bow hunt which has went down drastically.
HDO

I did not know that HighDesert, thanks for the information.

Guess I have a myopic view of things just bowhunting elk then rifle hunting muley's. Gonna switch over to bow for both next year.

Muzzleloaders seem interesting to me as well maybe sometime in the future I will try one out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom