Az Sheep Draw

RHarris

I submitted a suggestion to the Arizona Game and and Fish recently and I am looking for some feed back from all of you. So lets hear what you think about this proposal.

As of today when you apply for sheep in Az you can apply for either sub- species on the same application. Your bonus points are accumulated towards either sub- species also. I propose we segragate the species allowing us to apply for both and accumulate points for both. The way I look at it, if and when I ever draw one of these sheep tags the odds of me drawing the other in my life time is beyond astronomical with the current system.
At the very least under my proposal I would know my name is in the hat for both sub-species and accumulating points for each. The only thing I see that would have to change is the seasons would have to be staggered for the lucky soul that drew both tags in one season. I am pretty sure from my previous draw luck that it wouldn't be me.

Lets Hear it!

That would be great if sheep were like rabbits. The fact is unless you have more money than you know what do with you are only going to get one Desert sheep tag in a life (unless you have lottery luck). Some will never get one. Spread what little wealth there is and let everyone have a chance at one tag before they die. I would love to take both but just one would make me very happy.

Maybe I sould try and explain this better. When I say sub-species I am refering to Rocky Mountain Bighorn and the Desert Bighorn sheep. Under the current system you have to draw one before you can actually start applying for the other in Arizona. Your bonus points are for sheep in general. So if and when you draw a sheep tag in Arizona be it Rocky or Desert you then start from zero on your bonus points to try and obtain a tag for that other sub-species. under my proposal you would at the very least accumulate point for both species. Having your name in the hat is what gets you the luck of the draw to begin with. Keep the replys coming, Im curious to your opinions.

Thanks

I suggested this to the AZ G&F a few years ago. Their main question was, what do they do with everyone's points up to the date this is enacted?
If you can answer this question without it costing G&F money and time, you got further than I.

It would cost a little money but I suggest they set up something that would allow us to either dedicate those points to the specific sheep sub- species or split them between the two. I personally would place all of mine that I have accumulated to this point to Desert Sheep.

Well, they would have to determine who has already killed one sheep and transfer points to the other. Then probably, send out a questionaire to everyone else asking where they want their points to go. One thing I have learned dealing with our G&F, the more homework you do, the more they will like it. They don't want anything more added to their jobs. Also, realize that the G&F Commission is their boss. They have to do what the Commission directs them to do. So, if you can get the Commission to side with you, you're in. This is what I had to do to get the archery only bear seasons started.........good luck.

The best way to do it would be to give you the choice of which sub species to apply your points to the first year. Then you are in for the other with no points. If you already killed one, you know you want your points to go to the other.

Sorry, I thought you ment the two desert sub species. Nelsoni and mexican.
I would agree with you on your first post in that case.
One thing to look at would be with all the extra applicants it would probably double the odds of you ever drawing a sheep tag of either species.(as if they were'nt bad enough)
Harris I will tell you what, If I win the lottery I will buy you a desert and a rocky tag if you will do the same. Later

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom