AZ Snow Pack

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
I have the points for a unit 10 archery elk hunt. Might even be able to draw unit 9. Anybody in the area that can tell me how the current year looks for snow/moisture in units 9 and 10?

The central part of 10 was a mud bog in mid Dec. Need some more soon...

Thanks. Are those two units especially tough on elk during draught years? I have to many points to waist them on a drought year. Only one chance at this hunt and want to make it the best year possible.

Drought years can cause some drastic decreases in horn growth for sure.

What snowpack we got in December is all but gone. Temps have been ruuning 10-15 degrees above normal for the last 2 weeks. The latest forecast for Jan-Feb-Mar indicates that La Nina conditions will prevail and/or intensify, with above average temperatures and below normal precipitation.

La Nina winters really screw the pooch here in AZ. And this is our second consecutive winter with La Nina condiditons. Doesn't bode well for a wet Spring. Another intense fire season is all but guaranteed.

Lets hope for some rouge storms to drop down in the next few months! Otherwise...gonna be a warm and dry Winter to Spring transition!

Zoom into the following map and you'll see the current snowpack. Which is nearly zero.

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interacti...ight=450&nw=800&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

Every year in AZ is a drought year. Some are worse than others. Itll most likely be a dry year, but probably not the worst. There is always big elk....

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-12 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]I wouldn't waste your points, and also tell everyone you know that the horn growth is going to suck this year so they may as well save their points as well...hopefully it helps my draw odds!! lol! On a serious note our snowpack does suck, I live at 7300ft in unit 7w and almost all the snow we got in early dec has melted...It looks/feels like mid-april right now, but that will hopefully change next week, I remember several March/April 40" snows so keep ur fingers crossed, plus I'm ready to slay some powda up on the Peaks with my fat new skis!!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom