AZ. Unit 6A North Archery

Y

yrral

Much to my surprise I drew a 6A North Archery Bull tag.

I'm concerned about the large number of tags issued in a relatively small unit.

Any opinions on what to expect within the unit ?

Thanks !

Larry Thompson

Yes, lots of elk. It is nice country, easy access, and again lots of elk. Not known for high number of Trophy bulls, but you should have a great hunt. Many places where you should be able avoid running into hunters at every turn. Good Luck and Congrats on a fun tag!

Larry, although 6A looks small on a map it is actually quite large. Perhaps because practically the entire unit is huntable country. I believe there are about 350 total hunters on your hunt including cow hunters. 6AS has about the same for a total of around 700. Yes, that's a lot, but keep in mind there are usually around 900 bull tags in the general rifle hunt. I had this tag seven years ago with right around the same amount of tags. There was and still is plenty of area to get away from people.

As far as what to expect. Expect to see a lot of elk....Good luck.
Ed

Larry, Been hunting that unit for about 10 years. Elk everywhere. I have a cow tag there this year. You can go without seen another hunter for days even if you dont get to far of the road.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
aufvqq.jpg

Larry, don't know what kind of bull your after everyone will tell you there aren't many trophy bulls their but I beg to differ, if you expect to shoot a 300 class bull then thats problay what you will do. If you hold out and pass alot of elk you'll get your shot at a trophy, we have killed alot of big bulls in that unit

Thanks gentlemen for your response !

I know feel much better about my tag.
I'm really looking forward to the hunt.

Larry

You may not escape everyone, but no shortage of elk to chase in the unit and some good ones. You'll be fine.

I walked two miles north of Mormon mountain into the Pine Grove wilderness area. No vehicles and lots of elk all the way north to lake Mary. Good luck!

AZStickman,

Okay....?

Actually, I give up . But then again I'm not to "Worldly".

Maybe it's one of those text message abreviations ?

I'm from another generation . I'll learn to text message When Pigs Fly.

But Thanks anyway.

You can E-Mail me if you like

Regards,

Larry

Sorry AZstickman

Now you would think I could have figured that out.....scary.

My wife often states: "you don't have a left brain and there are parts missing on the right"...huh.

Larry

Larry sometimes we talk in code around here. It's for the safety of our honeyholes.

yort aka retnuhetiuqsem

Just received my unit 6A North Hunt Map.
I am amazed by the number of roads and stock tanks within the unit. Stock tanks are a new concept to me.
Water...
I assume the majority of drainages only contain water during spring run-off or heavy storms. Within the Pine Grove and Rattlesnake Quiet areas are there water sources suitable for filtering drinking water?
Roads...
Rumor has it that roads within the unit are exceptionally hard on tires . Two spares required? I drive a Crew Cab ,6' box .It has a longer wheel base and marginal clearance on sharply undulating roads. I have never used an ATV for hunting .Would it be wise to use one for travel on some of the more difficult roads within the unit in place of my truck ?

I plan on a visit to the unit in late May or Early June to start my "Homework".

Any comments or suggestions on my concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your "Well Wishes" the Posts above. !
Regards,

Larry Thompson

The streams only have water when it rains. Depends on where you go if you'll need 2 spares. Never hurts to have them. Some of the roads can be very rough, and marginal ground clearance may or may not get you there, again depending on where you go. An ATV would save your truck.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom