AZ units for elk

HUNTNNW

I hunt all over the west , but AZ is a state I've yet to venture into or really done any research on elk. Trying to figure draw odds is not easy or I'm looking at the wrong links. Trying to find units that are not trophy units , killing a rag horn would be perfectly fine. My wife and I put in for new hunts every year and I'm trying to get her first bull, so we aren't picky at all I'd rather have fun hunt with her and kill a elk over waiting a decade or more for trophy units. Not looking for specific spots just some unit ideas I can research. We are able to hike into rugged country steep country and spike out too.I have info willing to trade on WA,ID,NV and UT . Pm me as I don't want info shared and units highlighted that others hunt. Thanks in advance. Happy hunting

Here's the link to the 2017 draw results report.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-port...d-Elk-Bonus-Point-Report-1-2-Pass-by-Hunt.pdf

You will need a copy of the 2017 regulations to see which units correspond to the hunt codes as they change somewhat each year. Odds don't really change much from year to year.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Not hunted AZ but am building points for elk and mule deer. Maybe I can help.

Use the List View on TopRut. A brief look shows only one unit that is guaranteed a tag with less than 4 points. But, it is possible to draw with 1. See below.

NR tags are limited to 10% of each GMU's allotment.
Half (5%) go to those with the most points in the Bonus Pass.

The remaining tags (5%) go into the 1-2 pass and can be drawn by NR's or res. Note the NR tags are limited to 10%, but they aren't guaranteed to be 10%.

Each point in the 1-2 pass gets you a random number. Someone with 10 points get's 10 numbers. Someone with 1 point gets 1 number. Tags go to the lowest number. So it is possible someone with 1 point to get drawn while someone with more does not. AZ made this change a couple years ago so someone with low points still has a chance to draw a primo tag.

Not sure what happens to the zero point guy in the 1-2 pass. He has no points, so does he get no random numbers? IDK.

Note if you take the AZ hunter safety course, you get a permanent point.

Good luck!

You get a random number for your application AND each bonus point. So in the 1-2 pass the guy with 0 points gets 1 random number. You then get a bonus number for each bonus point.

OP are you looking for archery or rifle? Hunting November in AZ is much easier to draw than rut tags. There are often 7-8 points separating the 100% draw level for each.

Sage,

Where did you find that report and can you post a link to one that shows draw results for NR's only?

thanks,

Adubs

Thanks for the replies guys! Getting narrowed down to the units I'll concentrate on till I have a few points then I'll change a couple selections . I'm looking for late rifle

There are a lot of good elk units here in AZ. Obviously the few real trophy units, but even the "lesser" units all hold good bulls and are easier to draw. The late rifle hunts are also a little easier to draw than the early archery hunts. As for specific units, you can't really go wrong just choosing one between 3 and 8.

Know the draw! AZ goes on a bonus point system where every year you put in and are unsuccessful, you get a bonus point. You also get an extra bonus point if you put in for 5 consecutive years and another if you take the Hunter Safety Course. A bonus point essentially gives you an extra number, similar to having an extra raffle ticket. So when you put in the first time, you are going to be assigned one random number...whereas, I currently have 5 bonus points, so I'll be assigned 6 random numbers. The Non-res rule is that only 10% of the tags for any hunt can go to non-residents in which up to 5% of those tags may go in the bonus pass. The draw goes in 3 phases, in which only the first 2 really matter for elk. The first phase is the bonus pass. 20% of the tags for every hunt are set aside for the applicants with the most bonus points. For example, if there are 100 tags for a specific hunt, 20 tags will be given out in the bonus pass, of which up to 5 may go to non-residents...which just about always happens for these hunts. The second phase of the draw is called the 1-2 pass. They just start with number 1 and go right down the list. When they get to your number, if your 1st choice still has tags, then you get drawn. If not, they go to your 2nd choice and if it still has tags, then you get drawn for that. If your 1st and 2nd choices are gone, then your number gets set aside for the 3-5 pass, which works the same way as the 1-2 pass but there are rarely bull tags left for. So in the example above, 20 of the 100 tags are given out in the bonus pass and 80 are given out in the 1-2 pass, of which the other 5 can go to non-residents. Hopefully that makes sense.

It might be worth going to the AZ Game and Fish Website, click on hunting, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on bonus point reports. You can figure out how long it would take until you would be guaranteed a tag. For example, the late general hunt in Unit 4B had 150 total tags last year, 30 of which would go in the bonus pass. 10% can go to non-res, so 7 could go in bonus pass (no more than 5% of the total tags). So if you look at the report for the unit, 1 person drew with 10 points (probably a non-res) and 6 drew with 7 points (probably the remaining non-res tags). The other 23 bonus point tags went to most likely residents with 5-6 points. So, if you hit 7-8 points for that unit, you could be almost guaranteed a tag for that unit.

Sorry such a long post, but once I started typing, I just kept going...haha.

Sounds like you want unit 6A. That unit has more elk than any other in AZ. Easy to moderate terrain and tons of public land. The trophy quality is "middle of the road" for AZ but still awesome compared to many states. You'll get to see elk on this hunt and might even tag the bull of your dreams.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-18 AT 08:15PM (MST)[p]AZ produces a nr only report, I've been getting them for almost a decade. File a public info request and send them some money....

Zero bonus point apps are not included in the bonus pass draw, 1-2 pass and down only.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom