B Zone worth a shot DYI ???

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Someday I’d like to hunt Blacktail with the kids, don’t know much about it but what I’ve read here and there. Whitetails I’m bored with, and I’m real tired of hunting mule deer that no longer exist in decent numbers anywhere I’ve been the last few years. Would a B zone hunt be doable for an outsider ? At least to see a decent amount of deer ? Enjoyable hunt without a bunch of less than desirable people everywhere you’d go ? Or am I dreaming ? Time to try something different I think !

Someday I’d like to hunt Blacktail with the kids, don’t know much about it but what I’ve read here and there. Whitetails I’m bored with, and I’m real tired of hunting mule deer that no longer exist in decent numbers anywhere I’ve been the last few years. Would a B zone hunt be doable for an outsider ? At least to see a decent amount of deer ? Enjoyable hunt without a bunch of less than desirable people everywhere you’d go ? Or am I dreaming ? Time to try something different I think !
Anything is doable if you put your mind to it! If you want to get away from less than desireable people, your best chance it to put on your backpack and explore any of California's Wilderness areas. Trinity Alps, Marble Mountains, Yollo Bolly, or anywhere you can get several miles away from any roads.

I say go for it!

“At least see a decent amount of deer”
—no probably not. If you’re not happy with the western mule deer scene right now you would not be happy with california. Californians travel in droves to our neighboring states to actually see some deer while hunting. In state we struggle and grind to see a few deer, and maybe get a shot opportunity during a season of hunting.

If you just need another opportunity to hunt, and would be happy shooting a forked horn (low odds but could still happen), then it sounds like a good idea.

I grew up hunting B3 and while it’s near a dear to my heart, I couldn’t recommend it. Can be hot even near the end of the season. Best time we had is early snow or super hot. Lots of roads to drive and lots of road hunters.

If I were giving advice for someone traveling out of state I’d recommend the costal units, purely for the scenery and atmosphere of the coastal foresters are magical, and you might shoot a deer.

I’m unsure how the tags a grouped together these days.

I kinda wondered if it might be a low sighting type of hunt …… I’d sure like to see the scenery some day tho ! We’ve never been out that far west. I appreciate the reply’s.

Like the others have said you wont see lots of deer, B has a lot of deer but also some of the roughest country you will find. There is definitely a learning curve, Not a hunt I would want to try one time as it usually takes years to learn and even then can be tough. Not trying to be negative just realistic, I hunt it every year and I go east to hunt mule deer every year as well and find just taking a deer is much easier in a mule deer unit you don't know than B zone.

The posts above are all accurate, however, it's not all doom and gloom. There has been a ton of burns in recent years so there is no shortage of habitat, the deer are there. I feel like we are about to hit a bit of a boom in blacktail country.

It's not all about getting your buck. Come out and hunt it. Mule deer tags are getting harder and harder to come by. We all started building points years ago in planning for a tomorrow that's not gonna come at the rate things are going. This dream of yours will likely be the same years down the road.

If you want a few subtle pointers I will PM them.

Agree with all the above. My experience is that you'll see more deer during archery, or when there's weather during rifle season. Lot's of people, and get away from the roads. Feel free to send me a pm anytime.

Agree with huntindad4’s comment. There are plenty of blacktails to be had in California’s B zones. The most recent issues have mostly been related to lack of moisture. Last year was a very good moisture year. This winter is forecasted to be another. Nothing is more beneficial to a recent wildfire burn scar than a wet winter! I feel the deer population for the next few years is going to trend up in these areas.
I wouldn’t let negativity from a few other posters convince you to not give it go.
Sounds like you’re up for a new adventure. Absolutely try it.
With this post, you’re basically already doing the research. There’s also no shortage of relevant information available on-line.
As others have already said, you’re not going to see gobs of deer located throughout these zones. You shouldn’t go into it expecting an easy hunt. Suffice it to say, IMO those glory days are long gone. However, they all have isolated pockets within them that traditionally hold bucks. Of course local knowledge always has the advantage. But this is true no matter where & what species you’re hunting.
I encourage you to keep researching. You sound to me like you dedicate a week or so to chase out of state deer anyway. Why not here?
If your intent is to not be amongst a crowd of “less than desirable people” than backpacking a couple to several miles in is probably your ticket. There is another potential problem with doing this however. It’s no secret that this area of Northern California is known for its ideal climate for growing top end marijuana and there’s more than a few “less than desirable” illegal bud operations sprinkled across these areas. I hope that isn’t a deal breaker.
The answer to “if it’s doable?” Is absolutely yes it is. I hope you decide to try.

I hope my post came across as a b zone to avoid and check out the more costal units, to add to the experience and adventure of the hunt. The east side of the coastal range is rather dry and rough terrain. The coast seems nice for a vacation hunt…

Agree with huntindad4’s comment. There are plenty of blacktails to be had in California’s B zones. The most recent issues have mostly been related to lack of moisture. Last year was a very good moisture year. This winter is forecasted to be another. Nothing is more beneficial to a recent wildfire burn scar than a wet winter! I feel the deer population for the next few years is going to trend up in these areas.
I wouldn’t let negativity from a few other posters convince you to not give it go.
Sounds like you’re up for a new adventure. Absolutely try it.
With this post, you’re basically already doing the research. There’s also no shortage of relevant information available on-line.
As others have already said, you’re not going to see gobs of deer located throughout these zones. You shouldn’t go into it expecting an easy hunt. Suffice it to say, IMO those glory days are long gone. However, they all have isolated pockets within them that traditionally hold bucks. Of course local knowledge always has the advantage. But this is true no matter where & what species you’re hunting.
I encourage you to keep researching. You sound to me like you dedicate a week or so to chase out of state deer anyway. Why not here?
If your intent is to not be amongst a crowd of “less than desirable people” than backpacking a couple to several miles in is probably your ticket. There is another potential problem with doing this however. It’s no secret that this area of Northern California is known for its ideal climate for growing top end marijuana and there’s more than a few “less than desirable” illegal bud operations sprinkled across these areas. I hope that isn’t a deal breaker.
The answer to “if it’s doable?” Is absolutely yes it is. I hope you decide to try.
I appreciate the helpful info …….. and the drug deal was the less than desirable people I was referring to, I’ve read a few not so good things.

I’ve kinda been gathering info and reading all I can find about blacktail for a couple years now, I think the hardest thing for me other than finding one …….. would be judging them ! Being a mule deer and whitetail hunter my whole life I’m not real sure what a good blacktail would look like ??? I don’t need anything huge to be happy tho ! I usually take 3 to 4 weeks a year on different hunts different places so finding the time isn’t an issue. Thanks for all the reply’s !

I appreciate the helpful info …….. and the drug deal was the less than desirable people I was referring to, I’ve read a few not so good things.
Meh you’re most likely to just run into those folks in town at the gas station. There was only one time growing up my grandpa had is “ back out” from the direction we were hunting.

Edit: the first legal Blacktail you see was good enough for us. Though we only had about three weekends a year to devote to it.

From my experience in B-Zone scouting is key and once you find an area with bucks just keep hunting that area. Also a lot of b zone hunters stay on the roads and the country is so rough and thick that you don’t even have to be that far from a road to get into a lot more deer. My friend and I found a good area and we hunt about a 2 square mile section. It has a mix of habitant from live standing trees with brush, clear cuts and burns of course. In 2020 I missed a big buck with my bow, in 2021 I killed a big three point with my rifle, in 2022 my friend killed a big two point and this season he killed a big 2x3. There’s good bucks in b zone they just take time and effort to find.

I kinda figured that, it seems it’s getting that way a lot of places ! I kinda like doing my own thing, then when I mess it up there’s no one to blame but me lol !
I’d think despite the terrain and vegetation differences, a whitetail hunter would do quite well in Blacktail country. Having grown up hunting them and now having chased white tails I’d say it’s similar. I’m sure some won’t agree, but there are certainly similarities. Older deer are elusive and shoot a fork/younger deer is a good possibility. So I’d say a good opportunity.

Other than the scenery a few advantages of the coastal areas- can be cooler/nicer camping , more moisture so less crunchy ground, dense lush forests, shore fishing and crab potting. Also the further away from the Central Valley and 101 you get the less people.

Also my grandpa said it’s not a Blacktail unless you could see or smell the ocean.

You may see more quality bucks on some of the private hunts and shot opportunities should be increased. But I will completely disagree that the experience will be better. For you or your kids.

Blacktail country on public ground is some of the most beautiful and rugged I've been in and I've hunted a few other western states for elk and mule deer. I've been hunting here for 45 years. I've had next to zero "bad experiences" with "less than desirable people". You're not considering whether or not to hunt in Mexico on your own in Sinaloa for Jaguars or some such chit.

This year in archery we saw bucks every day and probably averaged seeing 3 people per day AVERAGE, with many days of not seeing any. Because of other commitments of my daughter who hunts with me we only hunted Saturdays and Sunday mornings so we could make the 3 hour trip home with enough sleep for me to be up at 4 a.m. Monday for work. So we road hunted mostly. We went back in rifle for opener and hunted the roads and from them near a trailhead, not even one of the more popular ones, and saw 3 other people out hunting opening morning. There was 17 cars at the trailhead! The second day we got rain and all the wilderness heroes came out and we saw 10 or 15 rigs cruising. Wilderness is great but not always...

This country is VAST and by far the majority is void of people. Good or bad...

If yiu have OnX pull up the B zone map look for area with little private land that only exists in the river valleys...now look higher. Public land abounds. Find a burn no older than 15 years. Throw a dart at all the options and go hunt. If there is too many people or not enough deer throw the dart again and go hunt.

CA sucks I get it but the crazy comments in the this thread Crack me up....

Last edited:
Yes buy a bear tag if you can afford it. It's by far the most bear dense area I've hunted in the west. No hound hunting anymore so sometimes hard to find with all of the dense brush but tons of bears.

Mountain quail live the burns and the Blue Grouse love the big timber. Bring a shotgun and steel shot. An upland stamp is cheap.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom