Babbit MN.

I am from the grand rapids area, southwest of Babbit by about 2 hours.
I also hunted moose just north and east of babbit near the boundry waters canoe area.

It will be a very tuff hunt for whitetails SMALL population densitys. Heavy timber with swamps and not much for openings, only few clearcuts. With that being said there are some BIG bucks up there that get shot every year, mostly by locals that have years of experience there. 220-250 pound monsters, racks scoring upwards into the 130-170 class range. I would even say that there are still bucks dieing of old age up there.
I would say best bet is to find a long narrow swamp and hunt the edge of it near a narrow point, especially if there is a fair amount of presure on the bucks. As any place else in the country, get away from the roads and your odds increase dramatically.
Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I will be leaveing the 6th. i have been watching the weather and it looks to be overcast and 35 deg. average while im there. Is this good conditions for WT? I know its good for muleys.

32 degrees is the perfect temp for deer up there. It is when they are most active. It will definately help you also cause it is during the peak of the rut.
Also hope for a good front to come through, they will be moving just prior to it no matter what time of day it comes in and then if it is a fairly good snow storm they generally will hole up till it's over then be out in full force at next available time.

Stay on your stand from 1 hour prior to sunrise and stay there till dark! bring a snack lunch with you and a empty water bottle to use for the bathroom. You will see more deer, don't expect to see deer like you would in other places though. I have sat like that for days in a row and not seen anything :-( that is just what you have to do in the big woods though for big bucks.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I am going back home from the 10-16th of Dec. for a bowhunt.
Hopefully they will be out feeding a lot preparing for the winter?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom