Back from bear hunt

ElevenBravo

Enjoyed the silence while I was gone?

Back from Hell's Canyon, did a bear and turkey hunt. Saw a few jakes and hens while we were driving in, but someone must have told them we were coming as we didn't see any turkeys for the rest of the week.

Set out with the wife the first afternoon. We drove some quads down into the canyon and set up over some bait (secret recipe). About an hour, a bear came down and the wife nailed it with a freehand shot at 62 yards with her .308 (180gr Barnes TSX. Through-and-through, didn't recover the bullet). The bear spun around and then ran for about 20 yards. Turned out to be a yearling sow, I guess her mama didn't teach her to stay away from sweet things. The Mrs. got to hear her first death moan.

4879320160506192245.jpg

So we had a few hours of daylight left before heading back, we just hunkered down on the off chance that a second bear would hit the same bait. Just as the sun was setting below the canyon rim, a boar decided to show up. Told the wife "cover your ears, this is going to be loud". The boar must have smelled some of our scent as he was kind of antsy and kept looking in our direction, but eventually his stomach overrode his brain and settled down and gave me a nice broadside shot. Hit him with a 220gr round nose Partition from my 300 WSM. Bear popped up and plopped right down, moaned, and died.

70329img2020.jpg

So as we were skinning the bear back in camp, one of the guides we were with grabbed the left front leg and spun it around in a big circle and said "yeah, they ain't supposed to do that, I think you damaged the meat on this quarter". After we skinned it, the meat wasn't damaged. The bullet entered in right behind the shoulder, but apparently the hydrostatic shock dislocated the shoulder.

So we spent the next few days walking all over Creation looking for turkeys, but didn't find any. Nice country to be walking in, though.

4939020160508154545.jpg

Awesome! Glad you had a great time 11B. Those turkeys can be hard to hunt sometimes.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom