Back pack

kawboy

Very Active Member
I'm looking for a pack that will work for a few days back in. Not more than 5. I've never had an internal frame pack, and think that's the direction I want to go. I'm leaning toward the badlands clutch or summit pack.

Do I want to go as big as 4500 cubic inches? Or will the clutch hold enough?

Any insight would be awesome!

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

It all depends on how light and compact you want to go, I would say that you should go to a pack that can expand to at least 4500 inches , but if your a lightweight fanatic you could get by on less.

Hunters have more to carry than just backpackers usually do, so remember that when your shopping.

My most commonly used pack is over thirty years old and expands to 8800 cubic inches, yet I have used it for a heavy daypack.

The Bigger the Better kawboy!

The time you get back in to where you're going,justr is gonna want a cold Drink!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Look at the pack I just bought. The REI 85 XT. I borrowed this pack from my brother a couple years ago on a 3 day backpacking trip. I logged 36 miles that trip and the pack felt wonderful. It weighed 50 ibs with water. I just bought my own and I can't wait to put it to use. The pack itself is very light and can hold 57 liters of stuff. It's a hybrid pack partially internal and external frame. Check it out. Can't go wrong with it.

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

I would go less expensive until you decide on a routine and what you really need/want in a pack. The REI xt85 is a good inexpensive pack to start with. After you drill down your requirements you can pick up what you want either used or new.
A friend of mine has a new xt85 for sale on rokslide forum classifieds for about $200.

The best pack on the market IMO is the Kifaru Nomad. I've had a Spike Camp for 13 years and its still going strong. If you are young enough to get your money's worth out of a Nomad, this pack can't be beat and will last 20+ years. It will run about $798 with all the stuff you need to make it a complete hunting package.

http://store.kifaru.net/nomad-2400ci39liters-7000ci114liters-p145.aspx

Otherwise, I can recommend an inexpensive alternative that is very comfortable with 50lbs in it, the Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS. I have yet to carry any meat out with it, but I hope to give it that test this year. Great pack for $105.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Outdoorz-Max-1-Traverse-Hunting/dp/B00E3Q7YWE

My son has a Badlands 4500 he is willing to let go for a good price. It's hardly been used but we went with a bigger pack for extended hunts.
PM me if you are interested.

Kawboy,
4500" is about as small as I dare go for overnight+ stays. Remember that the only difference in required pack space between 1 night and 7 nights is a bag of freeze dried food tied to your pack. This means, get one big enough!
I use a Badlands 4500 for shorter trips and a frame pack for longer trips. The frame allows me to tie my bag and pad outside the bag of the pack. I can easily attach my rifle and trekking poles to a frame pack too. I built a cool web strap rifle carrier for mine several years ago.
Lots of choices and most will work fine if they're big enough.
Zeke

You have heard some great options here:
-Clutch, I have used it on 2 hunts last year. One 4 day pack in. It was a tight fit, but worked. And a base camp hunt, and used it for a day pack. It is a very good pack, and holds 50 pounds well.
-Any Kifaru is fantastic! Can hold up to 70 comfortably, and go higher for short burst if needed.
-The REI pack is a good pack and will give you good comfort. The material is not as durable as the typical hunting pack, but will be fine, and weighs less.
-I have used the badlands 4500 on a pack in trip, and it was great! very durable, and carries a good load.

If you are going 4 days, bigger is generally better.
Good luck!

Check out www.exomountaingear.com This is a new pack developed by a bunch of great guys who are constantly in the field testing their product. They have spent countless hours researching and field testing this pack. This pack is built in Boise Idaho.

I took a peek at the exo pack online. I never could find the weight of the pack but it looks like a fine product.

Kawboy,
Have you bought a pack yet? What's your budget?
I just checked out the Kuiu 6000 and it looks interesting enough at 3.5 lbs and the price seems reasonable. I expected it to be more money than it's currently selling for.

Lots of great products out there for the serious hunter nowadays.

Zeke

Look at the Bozeman made versions of Dana Designs backs. You'll find a few here and there on Ebay. Made by Dana Gleason, who now does Mystery Ranch. Fantastic packs that will take an absolute beating.

I have 2 sons that do a bit of hunting and fishing from their packs. I have seen many many packs come and go, I use an old ALICE pack that I have had for many years. I dont do allot of hunting from this old pack, but it is tough and strong. I payed around $40 for it with frame at an army navy store. Anyway, I one of my son's finally (in his words) quit playing around and blowing money and bought an Alice pack. He said it aint that much different in weight when packed and it aint gonna bust.....food for thought

You should definitely take a look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. It is an amazing "do-all" pack. Holds up to 5000 cu/in and breaks down to a great day pack that you can wear by itself or you can hook it to the frame which is the way I use it. That way once you get your elk down you already have a frame pack ready to go. They also make a meat sack that is custom for this pack which holds massive loads really stable as you pack out, not required but it is a great option.

These packs also come with an amazing liftetime warranty that Horn Hunter truly stand behind and MADE IN THE USA!

IMHO this is the best and most cost effective option for the type of trips you are doing. Once you drop camp you dont have to haul around a 4500 cu/in+ pack for day trips.

packfitter.com has them for a great deal right now @ just over $300.

If you check out their facebook page there are a lot of pictures of it in use as well [email protected].

kawboy,
I just saw that you are located in Utah. What part of Utah are you located in?

Horn Hunter is actually located in Sandy, UT. You could just stop straight in there and talk to them and check out their packs. They have great customer service and would be glad to help you with anything that you need.

I'm you earlyriser. Nomad 1200-7000 cubic inches that will never break.

3625kifaru_nomad_1.jpg

1177kifaru_nomad_2.jpg

3088kifaru_nomad_3.jpg

9534kifaru_nomad_4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom