Back roads

martinc

I will hunt in Wyoming for the first time this fall, coming from the East. We have tags for antelope 63 and deer 89. I have maps of both units, an atlas and a GPS with a chip. I see a ton of roads, some numbered but a lot of small, probably 2-tracks. We want to be responsible hunters, we don't want to risk trespassing or driving where we are not supposed to.

What are the way to make sure we are driving on legitimate roads ? If they show on the map or the GPS chip, are they legit then ? Or should we expect some kind of sign ?

Thanks for your help

Martin

The GPS w/chip will be your best friend, you should have no issues. That being said you will find that a road has one name on the BLM map, another on the gazetteer and another on the GPS. When you get there some sign says it's something different.
The GPS will be invaluable good luck.

Semper Fi

If you see a brown stick that says no motorized vehicles beyond this point then that would be a good place to stop.

>If you see a brown stick
>that says no motorized vehicles
>beyond this point then that
>would be a good place
>to stop.

LOL, good one nfh!

Good advice but he seems responsible enough to already adhere to that rule! I worry about some guys though.

Zeke

5562nomotors.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I'm in a similar boat and have had similar questions. From what I've found out, on public land, including HMAs, you may drive all the roads unless they are posted as closed, and you may pass through gates as long as you leave them however you found them (open or closed). The gray area seems to be when considering what exactly a road is, as there are some "trails" made by vehicles that I'm not sure meet the standard, and I think your vehicle is not supposed to leave the "road". Perhaps someone can comment further on this to provide some clarification.

Your last paragraph answered your question. A few years back the opening day of season in 73 I was talking with the GW and he stated if YOU use atv's YOU better stay on the main 4x4 roads and DON'T go where there are small trails or make new roads as if we catch you or anyone doing so, WE (F&G) will site you and the FINE is not cheap.
DESIGNATED ROADS so be carefull where you go.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

So if it's on the GPS chip or on the map we should be fine, unless there is a road closure sign. Right ?

And should we expect to see the road closure signs in deer unit 89 ? Is there a way to find about road closures on G&F website ?

I would love to find areas where you have to walk. It's more my style of hunting, and I would love to leave the road hunters behind.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-13 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]I don't think anyone has really answered the question asked by the OP. Just because roads show on the map and on your GPS DOES NOT mean that they are legal public roads that you can drive on. They have to be either a county or state maintained road or ones maintained by the BLM or USFS in order to legally drive on them. In the areas I've been in the Federally maintained roads have been pretty well marked. A lot of roads that go through private property are on the maps and GPS and those would require owner authorization to be on them.

Topgun has it right.

I will add when using the BLM maps, I have not been able to find a way to tell what roads that cross through private are county/state maintained. Some of the major roads are easy enough as they have county road numbers but the minor maintained roads that cross through private are a different story - especially when you start having to open and close gates. You are never 100% sure if you are in the right so you are always nervous passing through. Has anyone figured out how to tell short of going to a BLM office and asking them in person?

As to our beloved National Forests, the Forest Service has implemented Motor Vehicle Use maps in many of the National Forests. Each road in the forest is inventoried and then each road is designated as; "Closed", "Roads open to highway legal vehicles only", "Roads open to all vehicles", "Trails open to all vehicles", "Trails open to wheeled vehicles 50" or less", "Trails open to motorcycles only", "Special vehicle designation" roads, etc., etc. In addition some of these roads then have seasonal designations whereby they are closed during certain times of the year. Then, when you are camping your vehicles are restricted to remain within 300' of the centerline of the designated road. If you want to park your truck to go hunting, your vehicle must be parked within a vehicle's length of the open road you are on. Probably won't be long before they do the same thing on all the BLM land...

Horniac

It's no where near as complicated as these guys would have you believe...
From my experience if you pay attention it's quite apperant when "they" don't want you to drive your vehicle somewhere.
Pay attention, You'll be just fine.

Semper Fi

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-13 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]>It's no where near as complicated
>as these guys would have
>you believe...
>From my experience if you pay
>attention it's quite apperant when
>"they" don't want you to
>drive your vehicle somewhere.
>Pay attention, You'll be just fine.

Yea, and if they follow your "easy" instructions they'll likely be paying a trespassing ticket because there are a lot of roads on the maps that "appear" to be legal that aren't. A good example is Beaver Creek Road up in the nw part of antelope unit 23. The road appears to be public it's entire length when looking at a map or GPS, but it is not as it goes through the private land near the creek. So many tickets were being issued to people trying to access the WIHA land on the north side that were coming from the south that the G&F has finally placed a notice right in the WIHA information that the road is not public through there and the only legal access to the WIHA is from the north. Here is the exact wording:
*G Absolutely no access south of Beaver Creek. Beaver Creek Rd. is not a public road. The only access to the WIA is via the Schoonover road (Johnson County) and Buffalo Cut Across Road (Campbell County).

Horniac---One way that may help to tell if the road going through a piece of private property on the map is legal to drive on is that there may be a brown overlay on that piece of road over the solid red line coloration. That means the property owner has given legal access or right of way to the government entity that is taking care of the rest of the road that is considered public property.

Beaver Creek Rd in the NW part of antelope 23 where you mention is marked well enough at the end that Ray Charles would know it was the end of the road.
Been there.
You may want to make it sound tough but it's not if you pay attention.

Semper Fi

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-13 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]>
>Beaver Creek Rd in the NW
>part of antelope 23 where
>you mention is marked well
>enough at the end that
>Ray Charles would know it
>was the end of the
>road.
>Been there.
>You may want to make it
>sound tough but it's not
>if you pay attention.

Please don't keep telling the guy how easy it is out there or when he gets a ticket he may call on you to pay for it, LOL! He asked if the roads on the maps and his GPS chip are all legal roads for him to drive on and the friggin answer is exactly as I stated---NO!!! I've been all over out in the northern half of the state over a 20 year period and it is not as easy as you're trying to portray it. Sure, if it's a well marked state highway he shouldn't have a problem. However, you can also get into trouble on those county roads if you're not paying close attention in some areas. Tell me why G&F has started putting that notice in that particular WIHA writeup if it's so easy to know that, as you put it, Ray Charles would know?!!!

So when I'm on public land, no problem to drive on a 2-tracks.

But when going thru private land, stick to mark roads and of course don't go where it says you can't. Don't assume that small, unmarked roads are fine because they're on the map. Just stick to marked, preferably numbered roads.

If it's an established road and is not marked as closed, yes, you should be okay. It's the getting to and from the public land that can present a real problem. There are millions of acres of public land out in Wyoming and the other western states that are not legally accessible because of being surrounded by private property with no legal road to get to it. That is where you need to be real careful because the chip in your GPS shows you what the land ownership is and not that all the roads to and through it are legal public roads. Generally state land is blue, BLM is brown or yellowish, and private property is white on your map or GPS, but every road showing on it or your paper map is not a legal public road. Make sure it is marked with state, county, BLM, or USFS signs along it's entire course so you stay legal and good luck on your hunt. The best hunting is to park and put some miles on your boots away from the roads to have a good chance at a nice animal anyway. Use the lay of the land to your advantage and slip up on high spots without being seen and many times you can glass animals that will never be seen from a road or tw0-track. It doesn't take them long to realize that vehicular traffic is a threat to them.

I plan to hike and glass, it's just that I wanted to know how to access some of the possible spots that I see on the map. In fact there is a bit too many roads to my liking in unit 89. But we will adapt...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom