Back Surgery

mountainman

I have been battling an aging back for about 7-8 years. I do exercises everyday that have helped along the way but it's time to get something corrected. I'm having surgery to fuse my L4 and L5 vertebrae and some clearing of my spinal canal to correct for stenosis.

I am in pretty good shape for a 59 year old and the doc tells me if I am diligent with rehab I should get back 95% to 100% of my previous ability.

Anybody have experience with this type of operation and what were the results ???

I'm totally bummed that any shed hunting will be minimal this year. I'm hoping I can be back in shape by August for archery or rifle type hunts.

I had your exact surgery the last week of July this year, and I did a 30 mile back pack trip goat hunting the week of September 9th (8 weeks later). your not that far away from being 100%, and most likely better than you are today!

good luck.

Not your exact surgery but I did have back surgery in 99 and have had no problems sense. My summer workout involves a heavy dose of a 70lb back pack and still no issues. Follow your rehab and keep a good attitude.

I had back surgery 16 months ago on L 4-5 and I was 59 years old. The doctor did several tests along with the MRI and decided that my discs were not bad enough for a fusion. So he did a laminectomy on two levels that removes the bone in rear of the spine that covers the spinal cord and cleaned everything out.
I worked hard on rehab doing the stretching and a lot of walking.

After 6 weeks I did the hardest hike in Lassen Park that was 8.5 miles long with 2800' vertical climb. Then the doctor released me to deer hunt in Nevada after 8 weeks and I was also back on the golf course. Do what the doctor tells you and you will do good. Good luck.

Thank you guys so much for your responses !!!

It gives me incentive to rehab hard with the objective of being able to hunt pretty hard by August/September.

+1 on alot of what has been said. Do the rehab is key, dont skip doing it. I still do my back stretches and excerses. I had back surgery on my L3 and L4 nearly 10 years ago. Mine are not fused but had to go in and clean the damage out. Im very pleased with the results. I am amazed by the recovery time these days compared to what I saw. Think the procedure has changed. My scare is about 6 inches long. I was walking the next day, but wasnt back to 100$ for about 4 months.
Good luck, you should have no problems being able to get after it this fall.

From those people I've talk with its easy to over do it then your right back where you started. There is real good advise on here take it easy do your therapy good luck.

I haven't, but my wife has had a discectomy and two fusions. The first fusion turned out to be a bit of a mess that the second surgeon cleaned up when he did the second fusion. She probably wasn't in nearly as good of shape going into the first. She was a runner and has done a number of 5Ks and a half marathon since the second. Would probably still be running a lot, but I got her hooked on CrossFit. She had the last surgery about two years ago. She is 45. She is doing box jumps, jumps rope and we have a lot of lifting in our program. Besides the legs, weighted squats contribute a tremendous amount toward great core strength (if you do them right). The outcome will be largely determined by the quality of the surgeon. After that, your follow through on PT and long term care.

I have had those exact disks fused. The surgery sucked. The recovery wasn't bad but my best advice is to Follow the Dr's Directions. If they say don't lift more then 20 lbs for 6 months follow it. Not following it can cause even more problems.

The best of luck MM, I am bed ridden with a shattered leg so I can sympathize with you somewhat. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend, very speedy recovery and positive outcome!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom