Back to the Gila Wilderness

Iv herd rumors 16B has fallen off in the past years but I don't give two craps lol. I simply love this unit. Its where I shot my first elk years ago and never thought I would be fortunate enough to get drawn again, and better yet we'll be bow hunting second archery season. This year I got a buddy who is going to pack us in on his mules and with a little luck be packing us out heavy with two big bulls.

image000000.gif

I saw elk all over the place right off the roads in that unit last June but when I went back in November they had vanished completely. This might be a stupid question but is that due entirely to hunting pressure? Maybe the sept. archery season? I assume they would move lower as the weather cools but they had beaten it out into the sticks.

For the record I wasn't hunting elk last year and I'm not going to this year. It was just something I noticed.

Last edited:
It has definitely fallin off. Not near as many elk in the wilderness as 10 years ago, from wolves and mainly drought. The wilderness can be finicky as elk will move a lot based on conditions. Still a great hunt and should be great antler growth this year

I've drawn the 16B NR early rifle tag twice - 2003 and 2013. My son drew it last year in 2023.

As others have said, the wolves have made an impact. The fires have also drastically changed things in that unit. With my limited experience I have found that the elk will move around a lot.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom