backcountry ?'s give me UR thoughts/experiences

fatherofthree

Couple questions-

When you're on an extended backpacking hunting trip how do you go about washing your clothes (and yourself for that matter) to keep from smelling ripe for the elk?

While on extended backpacking trip how have you kept shooting your bow? Are there lightweight targets that work, or should I take a couple beater arrows and shoot into dirt, stumps, etc?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-09 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]I have not done any extended elk hunts but I do try to do at lest one 3-4 day backpacking trip a year. I simpley heat up some water with my pack stove and have a spounge bath or if there is a lake near by I'll take a little swim.

400bull

No need for washing in the back country, just keep the wind in your face.

Wring the grease out of your hair in the mornings and make a pan of gravy! :9

I would just keep the wind in your face. A swim in a high country lake would make your boys disappear for a month! As for shooting I would just practice a lot before and be very carefull with your bow. A target would be very unnecessary on a hunt like that. You might be able to get someone with horses to pack in a spike camp even if you don't stay there its gonna be closer than the trailhead. I'm not the really extreme backcountry hunter yet but that's where I'm starting but my dad has horses so I have that option you may not.

I've done a few 10-12 day back packing trips into the high country chasing mule deer with my bow over the years. After a few days, one can get a bit rank. Now it's okay if you stay downwind from the critters, but your hunting partner's breakfast may be a bit more enjoyable in the morning if he's not tasting what he's smelling. :)

I do the sponge bath thing about every 3 days. I usually shave my head before this type of hunt to alleviate heavy oil buildup. I use the new deydrated shampoo / soap that come in small strips. Just add a bit of water and you're in for a cleansing. They're lightweight, small, and you don't have to worry about it leaking in your pack on the trip in.

I also bring 3 extra arrows just to shoot in the middle of the day if I'm not stalking something. A good dirt bank works well. Since my broadheads and field points fly about the same, I use fieldpoints for target practice. Helps keep me sharp and let's me know if something has been knocked around BEFORE the moment of truth. It's worked for me......may not for others.

BOHNTR )))---------->

It's COLD but worth it! 4 days in on an 8 day backcounty elk hunt. Sun came out, then the "moon" followed. My only advice would be to keep your camera on the side of the creek where you're smart ass friend isn't!

4a36a4441998b201.jpg

thanks for the tips. Where do you get this dehydrated soap?

What about cleaning the clothes? The only idea I had was to use a tarp from a tent footprint or something and make a bowl of sorts and throw the clothes, water and baking soda in and slosh them around.....

REI sells everything there is for back packing.....including the dehydrated soap strips.

As far as clothes, I use either micro-tex and/or Sitka type clothing.......you'd be surpirsed how the smell leaves those garments after haning them in a spruce tree for a day without washing. If they need washed, I use the same type of soap (they offer it in clothes detergent). They key is to utilize clothing that dries extrememly fast, which both Sitka and Micro-Tex does.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Most of my extended hunts included horses so I could pack the right gear. A solar shower works great for showers and weighs nothing. Take some liquid Hunter Specialties soap. I wash myself and my clothes with the stuff, works great. You can also use baby powder and rub into your hair and all over your body instaed of soap. Works great and makes you feel clean all over. Used this in Alaska on a 12 day hunt and worked just fine. Also packed baby wipes for sensitive areas.

I go solo, for 4-6 days...so no need for me to worry about stinking out the neighbors at breakfast, but i do carry baby wipes(as TP) that i can use to clean up at night, if i offend myself.

Never crossed my mind about clothes...got my clean underoos and socks, i'm good to go. it aint a fashion show out there.

The winds ALWAYS in my face, once i start hunting.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

I do alot of backpack-in hunting (for muleys). In my opinion, nothing is more inportant that keeping your scent under control. Most of those types of hunts involve lots of hiking....which means lots of sweating. And it does no good to work that hard if the deer can smell you. It's just not practical to be able to rely solely on playing the wind in every stalking scenario. I always carry scent-shield gel deoderant as well as scent-shield wipes. I will gel-up and wipe down each morning as good as I can and each night before bed. Before a stalk I will do it again. And if there's water available (creek, lake, etc.) use it for a quick dip or at least a hand splash shower! Yep, it's cold! The boys are hurtin after a few of those dips in a glacier lake in Colorado at 11,000 feet! But it's worth it. BOHNTR's words on clothing are dead on. Clothes that dry-out fast are great to use. Pack a few extra pair and then take a few minutes to wash them out once you've wore them and hang them to dry in a tree. Doing the extra things in scent control on a back-country hunt are the little things that can make huge difference. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom