Backpacking lunch ideas???

MountainTime

We are going to be in the backcountry hunting Elk for 9 days and we are looking for some ideas to create variety and good energy for lunches.

For breakfast we are using Dehydrated Milk and Granola cereal.

For dinners we have a variety of Mountain House meals. (trying out the new Mountain House Wraps-Designed to be in a tortilla)

Lunches-In the past I have done the "sandwich ready" tuna packets in a pita pocket. But that get's old pretty quick.

Any suggestions?

Something that works well for breakfast of energy drink is a mixture of instant breakfasts and powdered milk. Premix and put in sandwich or freezer baggies. It's light weight and all you need to do is add water, right into the baggies if you want reseal, slosh it around and then sip it out.

I would add instant oatmeal. You can eat it for breakfast or lunch. I also like to pack some jerky. Top Ramen is also light.

IMHO, anything high in carbos and protein like salami, cheese, nuts, gorp and energy bars. Since I take a small alcohol stove with cup and spork, I can have top ramen, soup or other pasta I can boil up quickly as well as hot choclate or coffee if its cold.
Most depends on how and where you are traveling, how far away from camp and how long you will be gone. If in the remote high country on foot, bring more than you think you will need. MREs are also a good source of energy and don't take a stove to heat.

Stop Global Whining

>Good lunch is peanut butter, honey,
>and bacon sandos. I also
>like the little chicken salad
>and cracker packets, light and
>filling.
>
>-----------------------------------------------
>http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I agree. Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Energy and lots of protein. Also agree on the MRE's. I enjoy the taste of them and tons of calories and protein for lots of energy.

Spam (single serving pouch)sandwich with cheese, mayo, and mustard (mayo and mustard in individual packets) on what ever bread od buns you want.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-10 AT 03:50PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the peanut butter, bacon, bagel sandwhich is pretty popular. Have a friend who does that......never tried it myself.

Guess I will have to try some of these before the 10th to see if they will work.

Love the Bagel with PB & J but I take a rolling pin to my bagels and flatten them out really well just to save room in my pack or alot of the grocery stores are selling thin bagels now they just aren't as many calories.

how about a 9 day old subway sandwich with extra tomato's lol

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

Honey on the peanutbutter sandwich last forever.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I forgot to add cliff bars and instant(Idahoan) mashed potatoes. I cook my food with a jet boil so I try to find anything that I can add water to.

Stick of pepporoni, a hard dry cheese like parmesan and your pita bread or tortillas, pepperoni stick and cheese will be good for alone time.

Take an onion so you can have liver and onions when the bull is down. Unless you don't plan on getting one! LOL

I take a few candy bars too, but I have a sweet tooth.

I did the pita thing (I hate the peta thing) last year on a sheep hunt and we changed up the meat a little. Similar to what you've done but we used salmon, or lemon peppered tuna steaks. Stuff like that.

Mix it up a little. 9 days is a long time to eat the same thing for lunch everyday!

At any rate, good luck on you quest for an elk.

Zeke

>We are going to be in
>the backcountry hunting Elk for
>9 days and we are
>looking for some ideas to
>create variety and good energy
>for lunches.
>
>For breakfast we are using Dehydrated
>Milk and Granola cereal.
>
>For dinners we have a variety
>of Mountain House meals. (trying
>out the new Mountain House
>Wraps-Designed to be in a
>tortilla)
>
>Lunches-In the past I have done
>the "sandwich ready" tuna packets
>in a pita pocket. But
>that get's old pretty quick.
>
>
>Any suggestions?

You packing camp on your back or with horses, llamas, etc?

The Mnt House Wrap BBQ Beef and the Chicken in sauce are good. Tried both at the Outdoor Retailer show and recently on a Ptarmigan hunt. Their Spaghetti with meat sauce is a fav as well. There granola and blueberries is their best breakfest.

Well, I waited this thread out, but nothin' new showed up.

The simple answer is MRE's.

Our government has spent bazillions on r&d to find the best food available for our military......and they have found the current version of MRE's to be the all around best system for all concerns.

If you think you can match all the requirements, ie, calories, carbs, vitamins, taste, weight, durability, ease of use, etc....let me know.

I doubt it can be done.

> Well, I waited this thread
>out, but nothin' new showed
>up.
>
>The simple answer is MRE's.
>
> Our government has spent bazillions
>on r&d to find the
>best food available for our
>military......and they have found the
>current version of MRE's to
>be the all around best
>system for all concerns.
>
> If you think you can
>match all the requirements, ie,
>calories, carbs, vitamins, taste, weight,
>durability, ease of use, etc....let
>me know.
>
>I doubt it can be done.
>
They are heavy but I prefer MREs as well.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

They are not to heavy considering the fact that you can live off one a day. Plus take a min to field strip them and take everything you dont need out and they are good

We took MRE's and Mt. House on our scout trip a cpl weeks ago. After that trip, I wouldn't feed an MRE to the neighbors dog.

You need to order the book "Freezer Bag Cooking Vol.1 Trail Food Made Simple" and try Couscous! Its like rice thats full of protein and carbs and comes in different flavors. And it uses half the water that rice needs to cook so you don't use as much water. The book have tons of ideas and I tweak them to my liking.

I just went on a 50 mile backpacking trip in northern New Mexico (early August). What I like to eat for lunch is (1) GORP, (2) chocolate bar, (3) beef jerky and/or salami. I make the GORP by mixing 1.6 parts of granola with 1 part of trail mix (dried fruits such as raisins, dates, etc. and nuts such as peanuts, almonds, pecans), and 1/2 part of M&Ms. There is no work involved -- just pull out a zip-lock bag of GORP and start munching.

>You need to order the book
>"Freezer Bag Cooking Vol.1 Trail
>Food Made Simple" and try
>Couscous! Its like rice thats
>full of protein and carbs
>and comes in different flavors.
>And it uses half the
>water that rice needs to
>cook so you don't use
>as much water. The book
>have tons of ideas and
>I tweak them to my
>liking.

Just ordered the book. Thanks for the suggestion....

A big thanks to everyone for their feedback. Have a couple new ideas to try.....potatoes for dinner may be a good one. May go well with the liver and onion idea ;-) Hope I didn't just curse myself. MRE's seem to be a love/hate thing. Don't know if want to experiment in the backcountry. GORP is on the list....thanks for mix suggestion al.....

>We are using horses to base
>camp and then hoofing it
>from there.

If using horses, I'd pack food I like and take what I normally eat, especially if weight is really not that big of a concern. How often will you be returning to base camp? Nightly?

I don't change my diet too much when I'm on the mountain. I fix two ham with pimento and cheese sandwiches. One for about 10AM and the other for about 3PM. I have the normal snack stuff. Baby Ruth, Snickers, PB, nuts, jerky, etc. Caldera Cone alcohol stove for heating water for tea, coffee, or hot chocolate.

That way, if I have to drag into camp at midnight, I have eaten enough during the day to keep going. I never let myself go too long without eating and drinking, it's too hard to recover.

Before you die.....Take time to live

If the Elk are around base camp we will come back to base campe every night. If we are not getting into the elk we would like to have the ability to head out for a couple of nights from base camp so we are trying to keep the food light.

Bagels sandwiches with cream cheese spread (it comes in several varieties). Lots of different options, easy to make each morning and they don't get squashed in your pack. Plenty of carbs in the bagel and you can mix or match whatever protein you want with what you put on it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom