Backpacking Packs

300wtby

I was wondering what type of backpacks any of you guys may be using. I've done numerous backpack hunts with my Kelty Super Tioga,it is an external frame and it has always served the purpose it was intended for.

Some of the its limitations were its weight, it weighs 6 lbs before I ever put anything in it. It also was too bulky to carry along on a daily hunt so I always carried a daypack for this (I don't think there is anyway around that). It did carry boned meat, quarters lashed to the frame, cape, head and horns very nice as well as alot of gear such as tent, clothes, bag etc. It was an excellent pack for carrying alot of weight.

So in my thinking there is always a better way to skin a cat, I got to wondering is there a better way to backpack? An external frame back has always worked for me in the past but would an internal pack do a better job, be more comfortable and weigh less? I guess I'm trying to find a way to be more comfortable with what I have to carry on my back.

This past hunting season my brother and I backpacked into a Colorado Wilderness area. It was an easy hike compared to some of the backpack hunts we have done into Wyomings Region G. But for some reason the pack felt extra heavy. I really didn't pack anything special and as we have always done only took what was absolutely necessary. My pack consisted of:

Freeze dried food for 7 days
Hot Chocolate Mix & Oatmeal
Sleeping Bag (synthetic 3.5 lbs)
Long Underwear (1 pair)
2 pair of wool socks
Hunting Pants, Shirt and 2 long sleeve T-Shirts, fleece vest
Down Jacket (which I bought new this year from Cabelas but it was to noisy, made a great pillow I sent it back when I returned home)
fly rod and vest
sleeping pad
Tent ( 2 person 4 season - 10.5 lbs)
Daypack
Rain Gear (Gore Tex, jacket and pants)
Tarp (2.5 lbs)
1 burner propane stove and 1 lb fuel bottle
misc. items
I figured with my gun strapped to my pack, binoc's spotting scope I probably had 50 lbs or more on my back.

Perhaps after I think about it I just have to get more streamlined and lighter. Perhaps a new tent (3 season) with a weight of about 3 lbs.(REI Quarter Done or Half Dome) or maybe just a bivy bag any of you have experience with one? Internal Frame Pack (unknown brand), Snow Peak Stove and fuel (stove 6 oz, perhaps some hunting clothes that are both quiet, warm when needed to be, lightweight and waterproof (pretty tall order on the clothes) this would eliminate the rain gear. I already have a Northface Down Bag that weighs only 1.5 lbs but I have never used it on a hunting trip because of the unknown weather conditions that you may encounter. I could probably scrap the tarp.

I realize this post is getting too long but I'm really interested in what you all are using for equipment. Especially when it comes to pack, stove, tent and hunting clothes . What do you guys haul in as far as weight? What do you think about Internal vs External Packs? I like wool but it's heavy for backpacking what type clothing do you wear. I hunt mostly in September and it can be warm (50's) of cold (30's), I find it extremely hard to find the right clothes for the range of temp.

Look forward to all of your posts.

Thanks,

300 wtby
Dave

300wtb,

No two ways around it, if you are on foot you got to haul it. You could cut your tent weight in half with a new tent. The light weight ones are more cramped. Leave the tarp at home as well as the fishing gear ( I know it sucks). Now you are down about 10 pounds less. I have a bivy sack and use it for short summer trips. If it was October cold and bad weather for a week you'd wish you had a tent instead, bivys build up condensation on the inside pretty bad and for me are claustrophobic if you have to zip yourself in it when it rains.

I'm lucky enough to live close to where I hunt so I commonly make trips in before season and cache some gear so I don't have to carry everything in at once.

300wtby, you are way more experienced in bivvy hunting than I am but I have read a lot of stuff this year and went on my first bivvy hunt in October of 2004 and camped at about 8,000 ft elevation. It was quite chilly and the hike was very strenous but it was my favorite hunt in my life and i did not fill my tag but it was still my favorite hunt to date. But to get back to your questions. I've read great things about the eberlestock pack on this site. Everybody who has one rants and raves about how great they are. I've looked at them and have to admit that they look impressive. I currently owne the badlands 2800. It was very comfortable but I needed more room for anything more than 3 days. But I'm not in your league and you might be able to get away with a pack with 2800 square inches. Badlands also makes a 4800 which from what I understand has a removable internal frame so that you can pack your meat out on the frame only if you wish. And it has a section that detatches so that you can use it for a day pack.
If you look into eberlestock then look at the "just one" pack. It also has sections you can add and take loose. Everyone says that its the most comfortable pack they've ever owned.
Also look into Kifaru. Very lightweight but expensive.
I hope this helps out and maybe I'll see you on the mountain one day. fatrooster.

Thanks for your posts Beanman and Fatrooster. I really have to look into a lighter tent. I have my eyes on the REI Qarterdome or Half Dome.

Always thought the ideal camp may be to just carry a bivy bag and carry camp with you all day long, wherever you end up at the end of a day you just throw out camp.

I'm also going to look at the the Eberlestock Pack. There is a Cabela's about 100 miles away in Wheeling WV. We are planning on going there sometime in Feb.

Anyway there is nothing like the High Country in September. I will be lighter next September.

Thanks,

300 Wtby
Dave

For rain gear I would say to take a look at cabelas rain suede packable rain gear. It does an awesome job of just keeping you dry but its also very warm and very quiet for rain gear.
I wear a fleece shirt under it and its all I can stand in September. Its actually so warm that in the summer I wouldn't wear it but they have some uninsulated models that are better for warmer temps anyway. Hope this helps.
ds

Dave, I think you should look at another tent because yours is just to heavy.I am like lots of others out there that I don't like bivy's, but there are lots of really good 2 man tents under 4 pounds. Eureka make some good ones.Dump the tarp and the sleeping pad.A good tent with a rain fly will elimanate the need for the tarp, also a big garbage bag filled with grass or leaves make for an excellent sleeping pad.I have heard some really good things about the badlands packs and for going really light I like the crooked horn packs.I like predator camo for early september because it is light and i always carry good underwear for underneath if it gets cold.Going into the mountains for seven days living out of a pack i don't think your going to get too much under 50 pounds unless you take the absolute minimums.If you think about it how much does just are hunting gear weigh, gun, bino's. spotting scope,gps,rangefinders,knife,saw etc etc.The best thing to do is to find a couple good hunting buddies so you can divide the gear between you. Happy Hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-05 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]there's a real good point there about backpacking with friends and sharing the load. My wife goes with me. She takes her clothes, sleeping bag, pad and all the food. I take the optics, tent, sleeping bag/pad and my clothes.
We have a two person tent by big agnes that weighs about 3.5 lbs and REI Kilo plus zero degree bags that weigh about 2 lbs.
It works out pretty well.

dslaughter,
check out the eberlestock.com. It's a pack designed by an avid hunter from Idaho that used to do the biathalon. Anyway reasonably priced and as soon as I get the money I'm buying one myself. Talked with the owner of the company and seems pretty impressive.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about that pack. If I was looking for a new one I think that's the direction I would go. Its just hard to let go of the money with a couple of fairly new packs in the closet...

I'm looking to sell my Eberlestock "Just One" pack. Why? I love the pack...except the camo. I have the sage pattern, and it's too bright for me, even in AZ. It's hardly used, and I'll take $150 for it. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested. ~Gary

Have a look at this for an ultra lite shelter. They have made a new one with a floor attached to it also. http://www.tarptent.com/

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin grizz"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom