Backpacking Sleeping Bags

legacy

Very Active Member
Just curious what everyone is using for light weight backpacking sleeping bags? I'll be in the high country in September and am looking for some suggestions. Not sure if I need a 0* bag or if a 15* will do? I was considering a Kuiu bag, but they sure seem pricey considering I don't see a ton of reviews about them. I currently have a Wiggy's bag that is pretty nice, but seems a bit heavy and bulky. Any input?

I use an Enlightened Equipment Down Quilt. It's extremely lightweight. I can't sleep in a mummy bag.
If it's really cold I wear my base layers to sleep.

Good to know. I really don't sleep well in a mummy bag either so maybe this is a good option. I will check it out!

I have Teton zero degree for normal tent camping that zips together with another bag to make a queen. I have an older 20 degree bag for backpacking, but it is losing its insulation value. It sounds like I need to invest in an Enlightened Equipment quilt.

There is nothing worse than being cold and not being able to sleep. You can always unzip a bag to be cooler. Usually September in high country isn’t very cold. But you never know, I’ve hunted in knee deep snow in September in Colorado at 9,000 ft. more than once. It will most likely be bluebird weather.

Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering for the win, both made in the USA. . GoHunt has W.M. on sale right now 20% off with promo code BIRTHDAY20.
Can't go wrong with the above.

If you're a baller on a budget look at the REI bags. Just make sure to get treated down. My sleeping bag is 2 lbs and I've had it in the wettest conditions and no problems.

Everyone is different. Are you a "warm person"? I personally use a Kelty bag that I paid $35 for and sweat. Some people need a much more heavier bag to stay warm.

I'm definitely not a warm person. I have an abnormally low heart rate and I think that has something to do with it. I get cold really easy. So staying comfortable is always a concern. I actually pulled the trigger on the Enlightend down quilt.

I'm definitely not a warm person. I have an abnormally low heart rate and I think that has something to do with it. I get cold really easy. So staying comfortable is always a concern. I actually pulled the trigger on the Enlightend down quilt.
Nice! I’m the same, really low heart rate and you’re probably right about it contributing to being cold. My toes are the worst.

I have a Big A 15 degree bag anvil something I think, under 2 and it’s been good to me. Love the pad holder on Big A bags

Klymit ksb 0 degree, come in xlarge for us bigger boys, along with a therm a rest neoair xtherm max insulated pad. R-value is like 6.9. This setup has served us well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom