backpacks?

31incher

Hey guys im looking for some opions on packs to back pack in for 3 to 5 days. I have never packed in for more than one night and need so help. Whats your favorite pack? Enternal frame or external?What size of pack?im abot 6'3 and 225 lbs. I mostly archery hunt in the high country but hopefully ill draw dedicated mext year. I would like to keep the price under 400 dollars. I would also like a pack that would double as just a day pack for water or should just take a fanny pack? Any help would be appeciated. Thanks matt

Horn Hunter Full Curl System.....

It can go from 5,000 cubic inches down to a frame with hydration and enough pockets for day hunt gear. Two seperate bags that come with it to expand as much or as little as you want. Plus, you will be ready to haul out meat whenever you are ready to with the meat shelf.

I just used one and love it.

After having used lower end (cheap$$) backpacks for several years I will be upgrading to a top end product (most likely a Kifaru) by next year...They are expensive but as the saying goes buy once cry once...

Having said that it might be wise to buy a good used pack for you're hunt just in case you decide backpack hunting ain't for you..If I were in your shoes I would look into a used Dana Designs pack...Terraplane is a good one... Check Ebay, I have seen deals on them there...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks for your opinions. That full curl system looks pretty sweet. I still got to doa bunch of research on them but im leaning towards the full curl. Any the other options?

Get a used external frame pack and see if you like it before you buy a good one. I have 4 external frame packs 3 of which cost me 10 bucks or less at garage sales. They work just fine for packing in and carrying out deer. The fourth pack is one my brother bought 41 years ago and it creaks a bit but gets me to the game.
Maybe these packs work fine for me because I've never had a new good pack on? My best advice when backpack hunting is bring along young strong family or friends.
Mike

I got a fullcurl system this year and have used it for a day pack without the large bag, but not sure I would use it for backpack hunt. I don't think the quality is there to hold up to that. I use a Osprey Argon 85 for backpack hunts its light tuff as nails and compresses down enough for to use as day pack.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/argon_85

I like to take more than one trip. I take the heavy stuff in before the hunt, so I am well rested for the hunt. I take a trip just for water if I can't find any. When I was younger, I had the experience of hypothermia. I just wasn't prepared.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

I am not posting my entire resume...but :)
I have packed lots of miles, weight, and days.
Do yourself a favor and spend some money on a good hunting pack!
ESPECIALLY if you are going a long way, and with lots of weight.

Some I like:
-The NEW THIS YEAR MODEL KUIU pack
-Mystery Ranch
-Kifaru Packs
-Badlands Ox is good
-Outdoorsman Pack system
-Eberlestock v69 or v90

I am sure I have missed some, but you will not go wrong with them.

Good luck, if you need further help give me an email, I can help guide you to discounts
[email protected]

I appeciated the info so far. Ill look into the packs suggested so far. Its about an 8 mile hike and its fairly steep. I know with just a daypack it took me abot 4 hours so its not somewhere you hike in and out for the day. That being said i think im gonna go with a higher end pack. I got so much to buy by next fall so i have to get a jump on it right now. I found spring up there so that will be my water source. Do you guys have a perfernce on water filtration systems?

I have used my Katadyn Hiker Pro for ten years now. I have only changed the filter once and I still haven't gotten sick. I tell you what, there is nothing like cold mountain water after a long hike.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

The Katadyn is great! very good suggestion.
I would also look into:
-SteriPen. It does it with ultra violet, and weighs nothing! You can take a coffee filter to get big chunks out. :)
-Sawyer 3 in 1 system is also very good.
you can see a video of it here:

Ultra violet light is how cities clean their water, so it works great.
Good luck!!!
Mike

+1 on the Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack.

Good for those 3-5 day trips. I just killed an Idaho muley on a day hunt and put all 4 quarters (not de-boned) plus the backstraps, loins, and a back of rib/neck meat inside the pack. Strapped the head and cape on the top, my heli-m bow on the back and then put my glasssing stool and tripod in the side sleeves and spotting scope and extra clothes on the back. Only had to make one trip out.

Most adjustable pack I've ever used. I'm 6'4 - 230 lbs and it adjusts to fit me great.
- Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-12 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]Another vote for the Full Curl.
I have been using this system for 2 seasons now and it has performed flawlessly! Not one failure. I have packed very heavy loads of meat, and packed my camp in for miles. This last trip in was 12 miles. It hauls the load well, and is very versatile. I love that when I get to camp, I simply remove the larger bag, and I have a small pack to hunt with. Here is a pic of our hike in, pack was 65 lbs.

4833full_curl.jpg

}}-SLIVER-->

I have went through a lot of packs and my favorite pack is the Eberlestock blue widow. It will do everything you listed and it is around $330 i believe. I have had the pack for two years and haven't had a single problem with it.

Guess you can call me old fashioned.
I like the Kelty external packframes...Will save you a trip or two packing your trophy and meat that internal frame packs cannot handle.
Can always put a day pack inside with room to spare so you can have a smaller pack for the daily hunt.
My opinion.
Jerry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom