Bad Sign?

Not good.

Incidentally, this came up on another forum:

January 24, 2013

Question: If white-tailed deer were to migrate into California from Oregon or Idaho, could they be shot here on sight since there is no season or provision for that species? (Scott H.)

Answer: No. Since Fish and Game Code, section 3950(a) defines deer as genus Odocoileus, which includes white-tailed deer, white-tailed deer can only be taken under the normal deer hunting provisions for the area in which it wandered.

Eel

Well, I would have to dispute that there are no white tails in Ca , I hunted white tails for 30 + years in New York before moving to Ca , I hunted C zone on the Oregon border before it became a draw and bumped a doe that was flying the unmistakable white tail flag, there's no doubt when you see that 12 in white tail flopping from side to side, the local game cop said they filter down from Oregon from time to time and breed with the black tails.

A lot of the old ranchers in the Dorris area say they are there and one of them gave my father in law some sheds and they sure look like whitetail antlers to me?

I have never seen one but I mostly hunt the B zones and X zones

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

>A lot of the old ranchers
>in the Dorris area say
>they are there and one
>of them gave my father
>in law some sheds and
>they sure look like whitetail
>antlers to me?
>
>I have never seen one but
>I mostly hunt the B
>zones and X zones
>
>Bill
>
>People who work for a living
>are quickly being
>overwhelmed by people who vote for
>a living.

Dorris was where I was hunting,

There is enough wrong with hunting in California without looking for obscure things like this.

Speaking of Dorris, 5-6 years ago i spent a nice week hunting the country West of Dorris. There are a bunch of big overgrown sage flats in C-1 just behind, maybe a bit south of the town. I spent a afternoon glassing and walking some of it. It doesn't look like much from a distance but if you get out in it, you could be sitting in a bulldozer and not be seen. Lots of country for a deer to hide and farm land close by for the necessities.

Has anyone else hunted that stuff? I kept thinking Big Buck country at the time and was on high alert but in the small part of it that i hunted, only saw a few tracks and didn't push or bump anything out.

Whitetails are a hardy breed. With the way our deer herd numbers are and the predator situation here only to be getting worse, maybe having pockets of whitetail in some areas of our State would be a good thing? I think that they would do well in forested C-4 high country where i live.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I may be wrong but to me any deer that we can bring into this state would not bother at all. I know you guys up north have a lot more game than us here in the central part. so just to walk out into the woods and see some deer would be nice for me. we have plenty of feed for all the deer I know I will upset some people but I hunted last year in d-7 and saw a handful of deer only 1 buck and it was a spike so even if the put jackalpoes I would be cool with it sorry if I upset someone its just 1 mans opinon don't be mean to me please

I wasn't trying to start a debate on whitetails in CA. The point was that the dfw let that whitetsil image go by on the website. I would hope that the symbol on the website would be a major animal in CA. Mule deer or blacktail if a deer :)

All of the deer x-ing sings in the sate are whitetails too. I still slow down, or keep an eye out, when I see the signs. I guess common sense kicks in and I kinda figure I know what they meant.

The guy who runs and buys for one our local sporting and clothing stores is guilty as well. Almost every hat and shirt with a deer image on it, is that of a Whitetail. He hunts and fishes too! My guess is that his options are limited.

IMO, this, compared to some of the other issues going on in our State is so small time, is it worth even mentioning? I guess so...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom