Badlands 2200

Bambistew

Very Active Member
I'm thinking about buying a 2200. For you guys out there that have one and use it, would it work in a pinch to pack out say an elk quarter? Is the 'meat shelf' big enough and strong enough for this kind of use/abuse? Most likely the quarter would be boned out and in a game bag.

Also do you feel its too big for an every day pack? I usually pack around a bunch of junk, but I have a 1400CC pack now and I find it holds everything I need and then some. A little extra room would be nice though.

What about packing a rifle on your shoulder? Is the pack narrow enough and out of the way, or are you constantly fighting your sling/rifle?

Lastly... If you hunted in wet snowy conditions, did you have any problems with gear getting wet inside the pack?

I've thought about this for some time, I was kicking around getting an Eberlestock Just One, but feel that it would be to big for an every day pack, and am also a little apprehensive of packing a lot of weight with an 'open' hole between the main compartment of the pack and my back. I suppose if its cinched down it wouldn't be a problem however. The other thing that bothers me, is hunting in wet snow conditions and hunting when trees are loaded with snow, it would seem to me that ever time you walked under a tree the scabbard would get filled up. I would think this could cause problems with your scope fogging up, action getting frozen, and just a big mess. Its not like those kind of conditions are an every day occurrence, but it seems like they happen to me about one day of every week trip I go on...

Thanks in advance.

I believe the shelf would work fine for an elk quarter. there is a zipper on the bottom and the orange "shelf" comes out. There are multiple straps that are adjustable for whatever you put on the pack.
It is a little bulky but I do use it as my day pack. There are two wings on the side which can be cinched down at the back to tighten up the pack. That said, it is very comfortable and does not seem to get in the way even with the wings full of items.
I pack a rifle over my shoulder all the time and it works pretty well. It doesn't seem to fall off or slip that often at all.
I have hunted in wet snowy conditions and it stayed pretty dry inside. I think the only moisture was after a few days of use from opening and closing multiple times that you may get some condensation.
I love the pack and it has worked out great. It holds everything I need along with a spotting scope and tripod and has the best warranty around.

I've used one for 3 seasons, the meat shelf must be a newer feature mine doesn't have. I've found it big enough to pack out a medium sized, boned out mule deer buck 2 miles down the mountain in one trip. I've also done backstraps, loins, rib meat and head of a 6pt bull uphill 2 miles without a problem - at least on the pack's end! (Return trips done with a frame pack.) I think you can fit about 80lbs boned out meat in a game bag in the main compartment, so it'd work for average boned out elk quarters, but maybe not the biggest bulls. All my gear goes into a game bag, and it lashes to the outside within the "batwings" and compression straps very nicely, while the meat rides inside. I have considered carrying some foam to reinforce the shoulder straps under a load like that, as they are a bit narrow and thinly padded under a heavy load, and cut in a little. I have had no breakdowns with the pack, though a friend with an older one, who is way too successful and has carried quite a few extreme loads, did have the aluminum stays poke through - Badlands fixed it no problem.

I've hunted with it in very wet, snowy conditions, no problems with gear wetting inside even when I've been soaked. Likewise no problem with a slung rifle when hunting, though for hikes in/out I prefer to use the batwings and compression straps to secure the rifle to the pack - ditto for my bow. I've shot 2 critters archery spot and stalk while wearing it, and use it for mountain biking and day hikes too. My only other complaint would be that it's a bit noisy when the temps below about 20-25, not enough to be a problem rifle hunting, but a concern with late season archery stalks. All in all, a real good pack, I'm very happy with it.

It will easily handle an elk quarter boned or otherwise. In fact, it would probably hanlde both hindqharters boned out. I had an entire half (the whole deer, cut in half) of a big buck on there with no problems.

You gear will not get wet either.

It's a perfect day pack, especially when it comes to packing out meat. It will save you at least one trip back and forth.

I Love my 2200. Everything has always seemed to stay dry in my pack unless. Only time it has been wet inside is when my water reservoir leaked. I was able to carry a front and rear quarter and both back straps plus the head on the meat shelf. It has been very durable and I would recommend this pack to anyone. I probably could have gotten more meat in there if I boned everything. Luckily I didn't have to because my buddy was there to take the rest out in his 2200. I also use this as an everyday pack, lets me pack a few extra things that I may not use but will have incase of an emergency.

44b667582d3ad299.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I think, well I know, I'm getting one. I was gratiously contacted by one of our fellow members and he offered to sell me one and I took him up on it.

I have a feeling it will be seeing some blood this fall, can't wait.

I am also getting one, if anyone else has one for sale let me know. I may be getting one this weekend if I don't hear from anyone. Good luck to all.
a3dhunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom