Baiting Thread Part 2 (Poll)

Would you support banning baiting for Big Game in Utah (bears not included)?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't seen just how bad the baiting is in some of these places, but if there are really piles of apples being dumped all summer on National Forest or BLM land, then I'd say that is a problem. I do think it's very important for sportsmen to work towards keeping the "hunt" a hunt. Getting a deer addicted to a pile of apples all summer and then sitting in a stand and killing them takes a lot of the challenge of hunting away.
Sportsmen need to work towards giving game a better chance of survival, not continuing to work towards making the harvest easier.
I wouldn't put up a fight if baiting was made illegal.

Baiting waterfowl is illegal. Whether it’s private or public doesn’t matter.

It would be an enforcement nightmare for most places. My guess is a ban on baiting big game would only apply to public lands.

I’ve always been one that said we shouldn’t restrict trail cams and baiting, even though I don’t use either. Some areas are getting out of control on these things, however. And the quickest way to bring regulation is to not responsibly use the tools we are currently allowed to use. I think regulations are inevitable now based upon how people are using them.

Is It Legal To Dump Apples on somebody-elses Apple Pile?

Is It Legal To Put a Trail Cam Right on Top of Somebody-elses Trail Cam?

Can We All Sit in the Same Blind?

Can We All Shoot at the Same Buck while We're all sitting in the Same Bind?

Anybody Remember The Days Of Hunting when it was Known as Fun?

JFP!

elkassassin
Those are some good questions. I would say probably legal but definitely ethically questionable

I have a question for all of you guys...

If someone was to finally after 25 years of applying draw a premium bull elk or buck deer tag and spends the summer and fall scouting it out and finds a giant. It’s the biggest one he has seen by far. The guy really wants to hunt this animal but the problem is he’s feeding on someone else’s bait station. Should this hunter go away and leave and try to find another one? Or should he hunt it anyway because it is public land after all?

How about if you were the hunter that had the bait station that the giant was using. Some other guys also had him spotted and decided to move in and have a go at him as well. How would you react?

I'm undecided, here's why there is lots of work that comes with baiting. You do have to keep restocking so that's the hardest part. The hunting part becomes easier once you get them coming in. The part that I say no it shouldn't be banned on is giving the govt. more control. Every rule they make they strip a freedom from you. However I believe outfitters are becoming a problem with baiting. And disease could spread easily through baiting making it a negative outcome. Another positive for it some units are thick and very tough to glass and spot and stalk. So you become more effective with it. How would people feel if you had to register bait stations like you do for bears? Would people also feel different if it was disclosed in the story of the hunt. Or would you feel it is cheating still. It does seem desert country does really well with apples.

I'm undecided, here's why there is lots of work that comes with baiting. You do have to keep restocking so that's the hardest part. The hunting part becomes easier once you get them coming in. The part that I say no it shouldn't be banned on is giving the govt. more control. Every rule they make they strip a freedom from you. However I believe outfitters are becoming a problem with baiting. And disease could spread easily through baiting making it a negative outcome. Another positive for it some units are thick and very tough to glass and spot and stalk. So you become more effective with it. How would people feel if you had to register bait stations like you do for bears? Would people also feel different if it was disclosed in the story of the hunt. Or would you feel it is cheating still. It does seem desert country does really well with apples.
I don’t think the government would be stripping us of anything if we are the ones asking for it to be banned.
I am curious to see the results of this pole. It looks like so far majority is for banning baiting.

That's fine I guess I should have been more clear just because I don't what makes it right for me to say the guy down the road shouldn't. I will be fine if they ban it or not. I've never spent a huge deal of time pursuing the use of bait. Also who's to say they won't pursue banning baiting of bears next. But on the bright side it will make outfitters have to work harder.

Damn I didn't know you can bait in utah! Does anyone Know a apple farmer?
So true. I guess if it hasn’t been banned by the time I draw my Paunsy tag I will have to find an apple farmer. Might have to go to California and get a truckload.
Dang there’s an idea! I could sit on the street corner in Kanab with my truck load of apples and probably make some good money ha ha.

If someone was to finally after 25 years of applying draw a premium bull elk or buck deer tag and spends the summer and fall scouting it out and finds a giant. It’s the biggest one he has seen by far. The guy really wants to hunt this animal but the problem is he’s feeding on someone else’s bait station. Should this hunter go away and leave and try to find another one? Or should he hunt it anyway because it is public land after all?

How about if you were the hunter that had the bait station that the giant was using. Some other guys also had him spotted and decided to move in and have a go at him as well. How would you react?

This isn’t even a question! Throwing a pile of crap out on public land that technically doesn’t even belong there does not reserve anything for anyone. If I find a buck, bull, ram, goat, or Sasquatch that I want to hunt, it is my right to hunt it as much as anyone else’s. The other side of the coin is that if someone kills the animal before I do, I tip my hat to them and keep hunting.

Just that this question is asked reinforces my belief we need to end the practice of cams (during the season) and baiting. These are public animals on public land. We don’t get to reserve them.

I'd be fine if it was restricted to fresh fruit but I'm afraid if that gets banned. Then so do any attractant, including any salt or trophy rock or even doe or cow in heat scent products. Then more restrictions to follow. What these post are doing is giving a lot of guys new ideas on how to bait, which they wouldn't have even thought of before these post.

Hey Buckhorn!

Most Guys on Here Don't have a Clue to what all Happens with Apples!

The Big Trick is to Not Buy Apples!

They Find the Masturs Bait Piles!

They Load them Up & Move them to their Desired Location!

I'm a Thinking one of these Days Guns are gonna be Drawn over a Load of F'N Apples!

And it Ain't gonna be Perty!

At some point you cross from wildlife to agriculture.

We see high fence as ag, not sure how feeding animals isn't.

We don't feed deer in winter when they are starving, yet somehow it's cool to feed them in the summer?

elkassassin
Those are some good questions. I would say probably legal but definitely ethically questionable

I know I’d be hunting that buck if I found him scouting. I wouldn’t let the fact that other hunters are in there effect me much. I wouldn’t sit in their stand or on their bait, but if that buck was in that area, I’d probably be real close.

I'd Bet Most of You Ain't Old Enough To Remember the CHUMMING that went on at Strawberry Reservoir?

Everybody had a Case or Two of Corn!

The DWR Claimed it was Killing Fish!

Probably True due to people Harvesting More Fish!

Here’s another one.
Last year when I was scouting on the Pauns before the archery hunt I was camped north of Tropic reservoir at one of those roadside overflow spots and there was some other tag holders that had their trailers parked around there also. One of the guys had dumped a huge pile of apples right next to his trailer. I guess he was using that as his base camp stock pile for re-supplying his bait stations. Must have figured it was easier to bring them apples all at once instead of bringing them from home every trip.

Won't be Long & you Won't be able to afford an Apple to Eat!

But there will always be affordability to CHUM the Bucks in!

“Live and let live” only applies when their actions don’t have negative impacts on others.

Neither you, nor I must sit by and let others have negative impacts on us simply in the name of “live and let live.”

“Live and let live” only applies when their actions don’t have negative impacts on others.

Neither you, nor I must sit by and let others have negative impacts on us simply in the name of “live and let live.”
Because otherwise it's only "live" and not "let live"

Because otherwise it's only "live" and not "let live"

That, in fact, is so often what people REALLY mean when they say “live and let live.” They really mean “Let me live how I want while I’m going to look down on you for what you’re doing.”

Some of the most closed-minded people we have in society are those bashing others for not being “open-minded.”

Has this site been infected by PETA???? You guys should go let all the cows out of the dairies and all the beef out of the slaughter houses. You all worry way too much about what other people are doing. Maybe you could borrow Lady Gaga's meat dress and picket at the DWR's doorstep. Sad deal

Has this site been infected by PETA???? You guys should go let all the cows out of the dairies and all the beef out of the slaughter houses. You all worry way too much about what other people are doing. Maybe you could borrow Lady Gaga's meat dress and picket at the DWR's doorstep. Sad deal

Then if that's the plan, I'm 9 min from AI. I'm killing all the bucks out there.

I mean only PETA is stopping me.

Im concerned that the idea our granddads had of hauling elk to Utah out of Yellowstone. Or closing deer hunting completely. Or protecting some buffalo. Or you name it, so that ALL of us had an opportunity is being destroyed by a group who have decided it's THEIR God given right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want, and if that means BURN IT ALL DOWN, so be it. As long as THEY put bone on the wall, so be it. As long as they get likes on IG, or ? on you tube. Or cash big checks.

They will FLIR. They will bait. They will drone. They will GRAMMA. They will petition corridor studies. They will shoot ducks on a pond. Snag fish. You name it.

The heritage means nothing. The woodsmanship means nothing. The art, the skill, all means nothing.

They care about themselves only, 100% of the time. Screw you, screw the DWR, screw everyone.

That concerns me a whole hell of a lot more than Lady Gaga in a meat dress. At least she is caring about something other than herself.

You can have my soapbox back now

So?

To The Mastur's out there?

After You Fatten a Buck up for 4-5 Months on Apple Cocaine?

Do they have a different/Better Taste to them?

I'd Bet Trying to Buy an Apple in this State come about July is gonna be a F'N Joke this year!

I can actually see the argument for baiting in some situations where it's hard to keep populations in check. Utah simply doesn't have that problem though. There are a lot of negative impacts of baiting in Utah, but I have yet hear a good argument for it. The typical "Merica" response doesn't cut it, we should be more thoughtful about managing wildlife.

Last edited:
We need a clear definition of "baiting".
The uproar right now is over truckloads of apples.
Not a 5 lb. mineral based rock salt (trophy rock).
I'm ok with some limited regulation on so called baiting but not on all or any type of attractant.
I use attractants all the time on a trail to get a deer or elk to stop a few minutes for my camera to get a clear, unblurred picture.
Not to hunt over.
Most rocks salts stop getting used after August.

Banning minerals is going to be next to impossible. They are used by ranchers for their livestock that are on public lands and we know that they are not going to agree to that.

Banning minerals is going to be next to impossible. They are used by ranchers for their livestock that are on public lands and we know that they are not going to agree to that.

Idaho allows them for livestock. You can also place mineral licks at cameras to see what's in the area. You just can't hunt over them.

And if the response is, "How are you going to enforce it?"

Then, the answer is, "Are you saying hunters willfully break wildlife laws just because they don't like them?"

I'd like to assume that most hunters follow the laws regarding seasons, weapon restrictions, shooting hours, wanton waste, etc... and would follow baiting the laws the same way.

I dont not exactly now how it is worded but I think it is already listed in the turkey proc some banned items are ok under Ag use. I think Grizz has posted the exact proclamation rule.

Edit
Sorry was posting while grizz was posting he beat to the punch

Grizz, not suggestion hunters are all going to break the law, although we know some will. Just saying the all out banning of minerals on public lands won't happen. It was a reply to the concern about that particular "attractant."

These all or nothing polls NEVER tell or address the whole story and are of little value to biologists or wildlife managers, but I voted anyway.

Idaho allows them for livestock. You can also place mineral licks at cameras to see what's in the area. You just can't hunt over them.

And if the response is, "How are you going to enforce it?"

Then, the answer is, "Are you saying hunters willfully break wildlife laws just because they don't like them?"

I'd like to assume that most hunters follow the laws regarding seasons, weapon restrictions, shooting hours, wanton waste, etc... and would follow baiting the laws the same way.

Could just ban trail cams during hunting seasons?

Grizz, not suggestion hunters are all going to break the law, although we know some will. Just saying the all out banning of minerals on public lands won't happen. It was a reply to the concern about that particular "attractant."
I understand you weren't implying that, just anticipating the responses on enforcement that we've already seen here ?

Also, I don't think anybody is speaking of banning all mineral licks on public land.

That would explain WLH new purchase

441c8eabf46a4be542e4bb40dee5c858.jpg

We need a clear definition of "baiting".
The uproar right now is over truckloads of apples.
Not a 5 lb. mineral based rock salt (trophy rock).
I'm ok with some limited regulation on so called baiting but not on all or any type of attractant.
I use attractants all the time on a trail to get a deer or elk to stop a few minutes for my camera to get a clear, unblurred picture.
Not to hunt over.
Most rocks salts stop getting used after August.
As it was discussed by the Mule Deer Working Group and the board, salt blocks were going to be left alone as they are used by sheep and cattle and placed there by the ranchers for that sole purpose and not used as chum for the purpose of attracting game animals.

I guess it would be just like poaching on private ground.......extremely hard to enforce and you have to hope for honest, law abiding sportsmen to do the right thing.......abide by the law. ??????
Word would eventually get out if baiting were illegal and used on private lands to harvest big game, especially on a CWMU.

Is It Legal To Dump Apples on somebody-elses Apple Pile?

Is It Legal To Put a Trail Cam Right on Top of Somebody-elses Trail Cam?

Can We All Sit in the Same Blind?

Can We All Shoot at the Same Buck while We're all sitting in the Same Bind?

Anybody Remember The Days Of Hunting when it was Known as Fun?

JFP!
Hey Bess this is why I frequently hunt tags in units most people don't care about! There's almost no deer! No one will pack 50 lbs of apples off trail for a ghost!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom