Baiting

F

Fattygreens

So in reading the post about that monster buck being taken on the Pauns there was a reply stating that registered guides are allowed to use bait when hunting in Utah. So is this on all lands or just private? Just wondering why this is ok for guides and not general public if it is indeed allowed on all lands.

Out its not illegal to bait.... Un ethical yes, illegal no.....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

What makes it unethical? In most cases its worthless without a lot if time money and sweat equity, especially when it comes to muledeer.

To me it sounds like someone put in the time set a trap and it worked. Congrats to the hunter on a perfectly legal and ethical way if hunting.

You feel the same about baiting bear?

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

I agree, so what if they use bait. He probably think people using a high powered rifle is unethical. Unethical......I disagree if it's legal. To each their own.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Working off their habits such as a water hole our alfalfa field is one thing. Dumping a pile of apples and changing their habits is another.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-12 AT 04:31PM (MST)[p]>Working off their habits such as
>a water hole our alfalfa
>field is one thing. Dumping
>a pile of apples and
>changing their habits is another.
>
>
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

You mean IMHO, right? You may consider it unethical for you, but please don't make a blank statement implying that it's unethical for others. You're willing to trick their sense of smell by using cover scents, estrus scents, scent free clothing, high treestands and playing the wind. And you're willing to trick their sense of hearing by using calls, wearing quiet clothing, silencing your bow, taking off your boots during a stalk, using hand signals and whispering. And you're willing to trick their sense of sight by using camo, moving very slowly, using decoys, using makeup, using binoculars. But you think tricking their sense of taste is another matter?

You can't outrun them, nor outsee them, nor outhear them, nor outsmell them. But you have a big advantage in the thinking department. All of the above products and tactics (and weapons, for that matter) are just a matter of outthinking them and taking advantage of their habits. Since they have a habit of looking for and eating their prefered food, baiting is just another way of doing it, nothing more!

IMHO, of course!

Ok, so the question still remains can any one of us go up in the hills and throw out a pile of apples/whatever to get the deer to use the area we intend to hunt more, or is it only legal for guides to use this practice? I am talking public land, such as the place the buck in the thread was killed. I started this thread looking for an answer to that particular question not whether it's ethical or right.

Yay we have a winner, your post never clearly stated yes or no, so thanks. I may be inclined to try it myself now I know it's fine, who knows...

My post said "perfectly legal" thats pretty clear

Now to be ethical you wont leave a big stinking mess when your done hunting it.

On a side note baiting wont work so well on public land because the game gets pushed around too much.

phone is easier?

Yes, I was still a little unclear if it was legal for everyone and not just guides, in Utah. Thanks!

>
>My post said "perfectly legal" thats
>pretty clear
>
>Now to be ethical you wont
>leave a big stinking mess
>when your done hunting it.
>
>
>On a side note baiting wont
>work so well on public
>land because the game gets
>pushed around too much.
>
>

>
>Can we update this forum so
>posting with a
>phone is easier?

Was this deer not killed on public land?

I'll explain my point a little more so you dont think its a blank statement...

>You mean IMHO, right? You may
>consider it unethical for you,
>but please don't make a
>blank statement implying that it's
>unethical for others. You're willing
>to trick their sense of
>smell by using cover scents,
>estrus scents, scent free clothing,
>high treestands and playing the
>wind.

playing the wind is a necessity, their natural predators do it. Its only the smart thing to do....

And you're willing to
>trick their sense of hearing
>by using calls, wearing quiet
>clothing, silencing your bow, taking
>off your boots during a
>stalk, using hand signals and
>whispering.

once again being quiet is a necessity, their natural predators do it too..

And you're willing to
>trick their sense of sight
>by using camo, moving very
>slowly, using decoys, using makeup,
>using binoculars. But you think
>tricking their sense of taste
>is another matter?

Their natural predators also are camoflauged, they move slowly, and have better eye sight than I (hence the bino's).

>
>You can't outrun them, nor outsee
>them, nor outhear them, nor
>outsmell them. But you have
>a big advantage in the
>thinking department.

All of the
>above products and tactics (and
>weapons, for that matter) are
>just a matter of outthinking
>them and taking advantage of
>their habits. Since they have
>a habit of looking for
>and eating their prefered food,
>baiting is just another way
>of doing it, nothing more!
>
>
>IMHO, of course!

Everything mentioned above is playing their natural defenses in a match of wits on their turf. IMO baiting is taking advantage of a instict they cannot get around. everything in nature is about food, you throw something out that tastes good to them or has more nutritional value of course they are going to utilize it. You are concentrating the animals under your stand or in front of your blind on your term, not theirs. Not a challenge or match of wits.. Granted they still will beat you sometimes, but to me its not ethical to put them in that position. I have more respect to the guy that stalked, or scouted and sat by a trail and shot a 2 point than someone sitting over the top of an apple or whatever pile and killing a 220 buck. The guy on the 2 point matched wits on his terms and beat him.

In this pausagaunt case, he bought the tag (I would to if I had the money) and sat an apple pile. Not much skill involved for him. Kudos to the outfitter for finding him!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Limited entry unit. It also said in the video the deer was in the low country where there werent many people looking for deer.

phone is easier?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-12 AT 05:42PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-12 AT 05:41?PM (MST)

I have never baited but if i ever find the opportunity to use it ill definatly take advantage of it. Who knows maybe ill use it on my bear hunt next year if i draw.
Helping a friend this year baiting i found out how hard and how much work it actually is. We ended up using two truck loads of crap.

The only things in utah you cant bait legally is birds.

phone is easier?

People need to understand legal and ethical arent the same thing. legal means fish and game agency no matter what state, decided it was financially in THEIR best interest to make some thing legal. IMHO of course, if you think that something is ethical just because its legal you are delusional. fish and game doesnt get to decide what ethics people have, you gotta find those for yourself. how exactly is baiting bears ethical but baiting deer isnt? not saying i agree or disagree, people need to just think for themselves

I guess given the answers regarding all the other methods used to trick or fool the deer so we can shoot them then it really is no worse than all that. But in my heart I just don't think I could feel good about it legal or not. But if a guy does it and it's legal then good for them..

I don't know much about baiting deer, but I highly doubt you could just go dump apples anywhere and have deer come a runnin. I don't know, but I would guess it takes months of feeding them, maybe even years. I wouldn't be surprised if the guide has kept that pile going for years. It's a different tactic for sure.
It's much like hunting those Paunsaugunt deer when they hit that winter range. If its hot, those deer are coming to water whether you're sitting there or not. They're so thirsty they ignore all instincts. I've seen it. I see why they did away with that late muzzleloader hunt.

Every hunter has the ability to make their hunt as challenging as they choose. Whether it be looking for extra big animals, hunting with a long bow, etc. If someone called me and said, "Brian, I have a 200 incher visiting my apple pile every night, come kill it", I couldn't do it. Just not the memory I want, but we're all different. I'd rather get skunked getting absolutely no help from anyone. But had I found that buck scouting and realized he was hitting some apple orchard every night then coming onto public land to bed, I probably would have been hunting him. Not probably. Definitely.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

What I really get a kick out of is all the Apple talk
Killing that gawd-=damned protected Rattler is a major offense right there
If they'll throw that in your face just imagine the bs that goes on when nobody is looking
Am I mad about that Rattler?
Damn straight I am,I want one for a Hat band & don't dare illegally take one cause I'm the guy they'd bust and they'd hang me right here on mm

We got an Owner,We got Moderators,Boy some of these MM'ers are Whiners

We got Warnings,We got Time-Outs,you can't Post a Damn thing once the Ball drops

Vroooooom,Vrooooooom,Vrooooooom I Love NASCAR

>What I really get a kick
>out of is all the
>Apple talk
>Killing that gawd-=damned protected Rattler is
>a major offense right there

That was exactly what I was thinking the first time I watched it. All this talk about apples with a dead protected snake in his hands!

Wow I did not start this to be a thread about bashing ethics and legalities of the things in the video, I just truly wanted to know if everyone was able to use bait because someone had stated that in Utah guides could. Had no idea that the snake was protected. I am thinking that video is going to be taken down in a hurry, geeze!

not easy to bait a muley....but i can tell you with enough time they will get "addicted" to deer cocaine....

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

That's a heck of a good idea. After you draw, just put apples a mile outside the Alton Unit before the archery season, sit there and wait. Not for me - I have trouble sitting around a waterhole. I'd rather go for a ride and get nothing. Maybe its my age though. :)

I will be baiting a bunch in 10 days. It is called a waterhole in Botswana and I cannot wait to use this natural bait and to watch all the different species come in.

Congrats to the hunter of that big buck. So many people are just jealous and on their ethics high horse becuase somebody succeeded while they were home sleeping. Good for the hunter and guide. They found a way to succeed and got it done.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]I'm with justr on this one.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 09:51AM (MST)[p]>Wow I did not start this
>to be a thread about
>bashing ethics and legalities of
>the things in the video,
>I just truly wanted to
>know if everyone was able
>to use bait because someone
>had stated that in Utah
>guides could. Had no idea
>that the snake was protected.
>I am thinking that video
>is going to be taken
>down in a hurry, geeze!
>

Sorry for the hard lesson so early! Many, if not most, of these threads get hijacked by others. Just be thankful it wasn't hijacked by a troll who's purpose is simply to stir things up, not actually solve a problem. Now we can REALLY welcome you to the forum!

As for the snake, it's legal to kill them if they are an emminant danger to the public, but how that would be interpreted could be questionable. But I'm sure this snake was about to strike, don't you think? At least that's what we'll hear, I'm sure.

Now, back to the hijack!

Justr_86,
I know you bait too. You just bait with your WIFE! The bear almost got her! LOL

Did you share that story somewhere on here?

Best,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]>I'll explain my point a little
>more so you dont think
>its a blank statement...
>
>
>>You mean IMHO, right? You may
>>consider it unethical for you,
>>but please don't make a
>>blank statement implying that it's
>>unethical for others. You're willing
>>to trick their sense of
>>smell by using cover scents,
>>estrus scents, scent free clothing,
>>high treestands and playing the
>>wind.
>
>playing the wind is a necessity,
>their natural predators do it.
>Its only the smart thing
>to do....
>
>
>
> And you're willing to
>>trick their sense of hearing
>>by using calls, wearing quiet
>>clothing, silencing your bow, taking
>>off your boots during a
>>stalk, using hand signals and
>>whispering.
>
>once again being quiet is a
>necessity, their natural predators do
>it too..
>
> And you're willing to
>>trick their sense of sight
>>by using camo, moving very
>>slowly, using decoys, using makeup,
>>using binoculars. But you think
>>tricking their sense of taste
>>is another matter?
>
>Their natural predators also are camoflauged,
>they move slowly, and have
>better eye sight than I
>(hence the bino's).
>
>>
>>You can't outrun them, nor outsee
>>them, nor outhear them, nor
>>outsmell them. But you have
>>a big advantage in the
>>thinking department.
>
> All of the
>>above products and tactics (and
>>weapons, for that matter) are
>>just a matter of outthinking
>>them and taking advantage of
>>their habits. Since they have
>>a habit of looking for
>>and eating their prefered food,
>>baiting is just another way
>>of doing it, nothing more!
>>
>>
>>IMHO, of course!
>
>
>Everything mentioned above is playing their
>natural defenses in a match
>of wits on their turf.
>IMO baiting is taking advantage
>of a instict they cannot
>get around. everything in nature
>is about food, you throw
>something out that tastes good
>to them or has more
>nutritional value of course they
>are going to utilize it.
>You are concentrating the animals
>under your stand or in
>front of your blind on
>your term, not theirs. Not
>a challenge or match of
>wits.. Granted they still will
>beat you sometimes, but to
>me its not ethical to
>put them in that position.
>I have more respect to
>the guy that stalked, or
>scouted and sat by a
>trail and shot a 2
>point than someone sitting over
>the top of an apple
>or whatever pile and killing
>a 220 buck. The guy
>on the 2 point matched
>wits on his terms and
>beat him.
>
>In this pausagaunt case, he bought
>the tag (I would to
>if I had the money)
>and sat an apple pile.
>Not much skill involved for
>him. Kudos to the outfitter
>for finding him!
>
>
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

You talk in riddles! You want us to match wits with the animals on their terms, but since they see better than you, you use binoculars and blinds and treestands and since they have a sex instinct during the rut, which they can't get around, you use calls and estrus scents and decoys. Then you admit that playing the wind is the "smart" thing to do which means you are using your superior intelligence which isn't matching wits on their terms. We know things about them that they don't know we know and we are able to make plans and arrangements far ahead of time for a future event that they have no idea is coming and we are the ultimate predator because of it. And, of course that brings us back to weapons. Natural predators have to beat them hands on (claws, teeth). You get to do it as far away as 1000 yards without ever touching them.

In other words, we outthink them! We cannot, do not, will not and should not match "wits" with them. We would lose every time!

Now, where you want to draw a line to make it interesting and "ethical" is up to you, but I'm not like you and you can't draw the line for me!

Which brings me to a question about the point of bringing up this issue! What is your intent? Are you just trying to convert some of us? Do you think it should be outlawed by the state? Are you concerned about the P & Y fair chase issue and whether or not this animal should be considered for a place in the books? Or are you just venting? We'd like to know.

>not easy to bait a muley....but
>i can tell you with
>enough time they will get
>"addicted" to deer cocaine....
>
>
>
>How to start an argument online:
>
>1. Express an opinion
>2. Wait

I've heard rumor that they rather enjoy free choice fed Record Rack protein pellets and alfalfa. However, many will lay their fat rear ends out in the middle of standing corn fields or winter wheat fields. It's all a matter of if you're feeding in small scale or in bulk.

Funny. If this was a whitetail, nobody would give a sh!t. Monster whiteys are taken over food that hunters put there or planted to bring em in all the time. They even have tv shows showing you how to do it. Kill a big muley that way and everybody cries foul. You guys are nuts.

well, I guess some states are smarter than others, as it is also illegal in Nevada. But I have seen first hand what apples do and the deer do become VERY ADDICTED to them, to the point they wont even leave an orchard, unless pressured out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom