Ballistics help - 7mm-08 vs 6.5x284

ClarkW

I am kinda shopping around for a rifle that my wife & small son can use for hunting big game. I am not sure what caliber or rifle yet, but I have noticed a few lighter weight rifles in 7mm-08 and 6.5x284 that I would like to consider. I'm wondering how they compare for 1 and secondly, what kind of downrange energy & velocity do they have? I would probably want to shoot something in the 140 grain area.

Either would be fine for your wife and son. I would look at the 260 also. Limiting shots to 300-400 and you will be fine. Use a quality bullet and good shot angles.

Weeeelllll, the mere fact that you answered the question tells me that you don't reload. You ain't gonna find the 6.5 on any shelves, so that is a huge strike against it.

The .284 case is on par, case sized (more or less), w/the -06 case, that means that the .284 gives comparable velocity to the .280, and the 6.5x284 would match up w/a 6.5-06....fps and kick (and also 25-06 and .270). That gives is a few 100 fps (if that) advantage on the 7mm-08 and .260...whoop-de-do!!!

The fact that it is a reloading only type cartrdige kills it, in my choice. Don't get me wrong, tis a darn fine cartridge, but why???

In fact, IMHO, it has no advantages, over anything that you'd find on the shelf as the .260, .270, 7-08, and .280 all fill your bill and don't kick like a mule (they are have plenty of fps, accuracy and a short action, in my book, is not an advantage...or disadvantage). They've all been proven to be plenty of medicine for elk, brown bear, deer, antelope and yotes. You name it, they can do it (except for Griz).

The .260 is a wonderful, un-appreciated cartridge. Therefore, rifle choices are somewhat limited...unless custom. It has a long bullet w/a good BC and it really holds its fps, and it just may be the most accurate cartridge made. Maybe not, but it is more than accurate enough for 400 yards. You'll find it on shelves...low kick, accurate and it starts at 129 grains (I think) and goes up to cover your 140 grain target area.

Now, to cut to the chase, we are really at pretty much opinion (based on going back 2 paragraphs). But, I like the .270, .260, and .280, in that order,(bigger medicine, w/the same kick as a 7-08 and the only 7-08 I ever had, a BLR, kicked way more than my .270, w/reduced loads (in the BLR)). I'm a .270 man, and I like it better than 7-08...especially after I owned one that kicked (same fps for the same weigh bullet).

But, if you are limiting it to those two originally mentioned cartidges 7mm-08 is definitly the way to go.
John 14:6

I love the 7mm-08. I bought one for my wife and that gun shoots incredibly accurate. I can shoot 140 BT, 120. BT, 139 Interbonds all well under an inch. It loves varget powder. Very little recoil and deadly on antelope, mule deer and elk at reasonable distances. If you go the little 7, you wont be disappointed.

My reloading book shows the max load velocity for both the 7mm-08 and 6.5x284 at 2953. That is shooting a 140 grain bullet.

Stinky, Your comparing apples to oranges. The recoil with the 7mm-08 is considerably less than the 270.

Out of the 2 guns you listed I would say the 08 is more practical. It's a great gun and I can't say enough good about it.

6.5-284 is a reloaders cartridge, as mentioned above. I love it, but wouldn't recommend it in this case.

I believe the 7-08 is a good cartridge, but would rather have a 270. No real valid reason though. The two are comparable with no significant difference. 270 is more common. 7-08 is a short action. Both are best with 130-140 grain bullets. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

There is no planet where the 7-08 will recoil less than a 270. Its math guys...same bullet weight, same velocity...SAME RECOIL. Stock design and fit as well as gun weight will dictate "FELT" recoil.

Well Dang, I'm basing the recoil off of owning a 270 and 7mm-08 in the very same gun. I am also going off of several published charts that you can look up yourself. Start with Chuckhawks or other various charts. I understand what your saying and I am sure the extra 150 fps that the 270 puts out accounts for the extra recoil.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-13 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]In my case, I was comparing felt recoil. Twas a BLR in 7-08 vs my .270 bolt gun. We went to the range and I sighted in my daughter's BLR, w/her carry ammo. I then shot it w/reduced loads to compare the zero (the plan was for her to shoot 120s for practice and then, w/o her knowing it, 140s for critters). I switched over to my .270 and standard 150 grain loads. Shortly afterwards, my daughter tells me that it kicks. I switch from my .270 to the reduced loads in the BLR....MAN, what a thump.

There wasn't 10 seconds between shots. We got rid of that gun.

Since then, a friend of mine has told me that his wife's .308 BLR kicks more than his '-06 (same phenomenom). And, another has told me that the .308 kicks more than '06, due to the pressure level in the .308 (tis loaded higher). I'm not sure I believe the 2nd guy.

But, I know that a BLR's design causes more felt recoil than a bolt-gun. So, it is an apples and oranges kind of thing.

Theoretically, out of the same gun, a .270 should kick more, as it will launch its lead at about 150 fps faster, for the same weight. But, a 7-08 is on a short action and weighs less. Realistically, tain't a nickles worth a dif between them.
John 14:6

A couple thoughts:

Hornady sells 7mm-08 factory ammo, 140 gr bullet at very near 3000 fps. That would be very similar to the expected velocity of a decent 270 Winchester handload pushing a 140 gr bullet. Myself, i think the two cartridges very much overlap each other in their capabilities.

The 7mm-08 does it's thing with a bit less powder, it is more efficient that way.

I have shot many both 7mm-08's and 270 winny's. Never have been able to compare apples to apples exactly but my findings are that the 7mm-08 has a bit less recoil when both are loaded near their potential.

I don't believe a Buck Deer is ever going to know the difference when solidly hit within reasonable range, say out to 400 yds, with any of the cartridges mentioned in this whole thread. They are all buck killers!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom