ballistics ?

C

crazyaboutcoues

I have a question for any ballistic guru. I'm shooting a .45 cal. 195gr powerbelt areotip, with 100gr of pyrodex pellets. Can anyone tell me what the muzzle velocity would be on this load?

Thanks,

Tommy

crazyaboutcoues: Tommy, a lot of different factors come into play such as the condition of your barrel,the known fact that pellets deliver unreliable consistency, your ignition system, the humidity etc. But under the circumstances, and with a lot of reservation, I would think that you should be in the 1300-1500 fps category.

Thanks for your reply bluelk. I was just curious. I'm not a big time muzzleloader hunter. I have a deer hunt in Kansas in early Dec. and it's muzzleloader open sights only. To be honest I would rather be hunting with my bow.

I went out to the range last week and shot a six inch group at a hundred yards.(open sights) Prior to that I shot three rounds at a hundred yards with the scope on, and had a two inch group.

Bottom line is not to take shot past 100 yards.

Thanks again
Tommy

Having written a very popular ballistics program currently available for free over the internet, having over 20 years experience with muzzle loaders, and owning a crongraph and testing alot of loads, I would be very suprised if you were not in the 1700 to 1800 fps at the muzzle, I have not crono'd any .45 cal guns but it could possibly be more.

-DallanC

The T/C ballistics chart lists their Omega at 1896fps with a 180-grain bullet and two pyrodex pellets. You are likely a little slower but 1700fps wouldn't surprise me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom